PDA

View Full Version : screech on start up

Napalm
12-30-2014, 06:58 AM
OK it's possible my search fu sucks hard.

but

today - new sound to my G8 Gt. Start up with remote - cold out side 29 degrees - yes car sat outside. starts and as the engine catches there was a loud screech that also stopped quickly. then engine just idled fine - no extra noises that I could tell.

worried me enough I turned it off - then restarted via remote again. quick smooth start - no noises - idled away fine.

drove to work - no issue even gunned it a few time - on cold tires but meh - engine pulled as hard as always, no extra noise I could fathom. seem to be fine.

restarted at work after parking - again - no issues.

worried that this evenings next cold start might pose a noise again. Car is at 122K on the clock - is due for an oil change, but otherwise has been trouble free.

I'm worried by reports of lifter noise, lifters locking - worn cams etc etc - but would think that would present as constant issue. Honestly I thought it sounded like a bad starter gear

Chewy
12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
See what it does tomorrow AM, but it could have been as simple as a idler pulley, water pump, or alternator noise.

Napalm
12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
upon further review I'm leaning that way too.

It's just I read so many issues of noises with these engines that relate to valve/lifter/cam issues that I guess I've gotten myself paranoid. I mean I have to say - it's by far and away the most reliable car I've ever owned. and yes I', knocking on wood as I type this.

Napalm
07-21-2016, 06:33 AM
LOL 1.8 year update

so end up not worrying about the noise as it came and went in the cold. One day my AC stopped working after driving though a lake (OK I might exaggerate a touch) and low and behold the belt came off.

also noticed the other belt was hard. it had been that way for a while. This was at 136K miles by the way. I never replaced them earlier like I had planned.

so 7 years and 136K miles on factory belts - was too long.

Chewy
07-21-2016, 08:31 AM
LOL, ya think? :facepalm2:

:)

Napalm
07-26-2016, 11:14 AM
LOL, ya think? :facepalm2:

:)

indeed - to be fair when they seemed fine at 109K when I did the spark plugs I was surprised and thought maybe the orginal owner had them changed at some point.