PDA

View Full Version : GM Factory Warranty - does it cover replacement of belts?

foreosu
02-28-2009, 05:36 PM
We just bought a 2006 Trailblazer LT with the 5.3L V8 - got it home and the alternator belt is starting to squeek pretty bad. Do you guys know if replacement of belts is covered under the GM factory warranty? I'm planning on calling the dealership Monday morning, but figured I'd get a faster response here.

GRRRR8
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
On a 06 no.

foreosu
02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
It only has 20k miles on it and it has the balance of the factory warranty left (good until Sept this year or 36k miles). Does that make any difference or are we still out of luck?

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 06:41 PM
If you have an active warranty, you should talk to your salesmen. I bought a used silverado, and had no warranty. They were adamant about that. Anyway, We did get a few things worked on at their cost.
Ask.

MANOFSTEEL69
02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Wear and tear item. I say no, but bitch enough and they might cover it.

GRRRR8
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Rubber items are usually 12/12 and thats if you are lucky. NOT TIRES. My 05 Imapla SS Supercharger belt chirped from day 1. On day 5 I put both Goodyear Gatorback belts on.

piecesparts
03-01-2009, 07:39 AM
SHEESH, it's a belt----go get one. The cost and time of arguing for a belt replacement would not be in my window of interest. Since most GM shops are only open during the actual work week, I would have to give up pay to go to their shop and spend time with them. That is my thought for factoring which would be cheaper in the long run.

p71
03-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Try for it; cannot hurt... i got GM to warranty out a license plate bulb on a 2 year old camaro once.

foreosu
03-01-2009, 08:53 AM
My biggest concern is that I literally just bought the car. Yeah, its a used car, but it is a "certified pre-owned" car so it was supposed to go through all the checks and stuff.

I've checked out the belt and it is in fine shape - no cracks or any signs of wear. What else could be causing the squeek/chirp? It only seems to do it at very low RPMs (idle and slightly higher)

SRG963
03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
My biggest concern is that I literally just bought the car. Yeah, its a used car, but it is a "certified pre-owned" car so it was supposed to go through all the checks and stuff.

I've checked out the belt and it is in fine shape - no cracks or any signs of wear. What else could be causing the squeek/chirp? It only seems to do it at very low RPMs (idle and slightly higher)

If anything breaks within 30 days, I'd be back demanding them fix it for free!

foreosu
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Mods feel free to move this thread to the "Ask Charlie" section. Looks like it is going to be more of a troubleshooting post. TIA

piecesparts
03-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Certified or not, the belt is squeaking and it can be replaced, by anyone. If the dealer will do it, then you are set.

A belt will squeak like that due to a couple reasons: 1) the belt has a dry spot on the EDGE of it and it is squeaking as the spot goes through a pulley OR 2) The belt has gotten wet in a spot and the spot has swelled to allow for that spot to squeak as it goes through a pulley.

A suggestion: get a bar of standard handsoap (like what you get from the motels) and put it right up against the front edge of the belt as it is turning. This will put a light wax coating on the belt edge, Listen for the squeak to go away. If it doesn't then the bad spot is on the back of the belt and it can be coated as well. Sounds stupid, but my Impala used to do this a lot when I had a power pulley mounted on it (the pulley had some very deep sides on it) and the soap was a godsend.

Top Speed
03-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Could be a weak tensioner and not the belt.

Greg@PacePerformance
03-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I thought my squeek was the Alt but it ended up being the belt. Got it fixed under warranty. So yes they should replace it for you.
-Greg

confused2much
03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
If you just bought it and its a certified used vehicle, then it should be fixed no matter what the problem is. Make an appointment at the dealership and have them look at it. Worst thing they can say is no I guess.

chiefpontiac
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Well they shouldn't normally replace it for free so you lucked out. Probably because "certified pre-owned" is a different warranty than GM's 3/36 bumper to bumper (which excludes wear items after like Charlie said maybe 12/12)

foreosu
03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I called the place I bought it from (which is about an hour away) this morning and they said it should be covered. Told me to take it to any local Chevy dealership and if they give me any problems, to call my sales guy and he'll send their shop mechanic to my house to pick up the car and take it back to be fixed.

As pissed as I was this weekend that it was happening the FIRST day we bought it, I'm pretty pleased at how they're stepping up to the plate now.

-Ray-
03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
See, all you had to do was ask.

foreosu
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Not that anyone cares, but they changed 2 belts (Primary and Secondary Accessory Drive belts) and the chirp is now gone. And it was all covered under the factory 3yr/36k warranty.

GRRRR8
03-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Good to hear! Now you have more money for mods!

foreosu
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
You've got that right! VMS here I come (in about 3 weeks)!