PDA

View Full Version : plug change... but boot won't come off

saihageh
11-21-2014, 04:05 PM
I had work done on my GT about 200 miles ago of which the plugs were to be changed, oem. I have a sneaking suspicion the plugs were not changed so I went to take off the boot in order to pull the plugs to see. I'm not really inept as I've worked on cars back in the 60's, yes I know now it's a different animal. So there's this heat shield around the plugs, which I know absolutely nothing about other than their a heat shield; then the plug boot extends something like maybe an inch beyond, so very little/not much to grab hold of, even if I bought a boot puller the shield is completely round so how would you get a puller around the boot? As I said these were supposed to have been changed only 200 miles ago, but the boot won't pull off the plug, should not be frozen to the plug at such few miles; I was taught never to pull by the wires so I don't want to just yank hard on the wires, because I don't want to break/pull apart a wire, so I'm asking: how do you get these boots off the plugs with so little extending beyond the shield to grab hold of? As for the heat shields, how are they attached to the heads anyway: screwed on/pushed on, do the shields come off first, and if so how is that done? I really hope not everyone is falling down LOL at something that should be so easy as plug change, but I would really like some help...pictures would also help if any around. Be gentle, but blast away.
Thank You

Kermit
11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
You should just be able to pull on that small part of the boot that is extending from the metal shield. I would play with one that is easy access to get a feeling of how much pull you need. Now if they are "welded" on and wont come off, I would say the shop also ran into this problem and so they just said they did the work but didn't'. If that is the case, you will most likely have to really pull on them and possibly damage the wire and then raise hell at the shop for not doing something they said they did and make them pay for new wires.

STAGEUP
11-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Why do you suspect that these plugs weren't replaced? Anyway, some plug wires can be tough to come off. Just grip the shit out of the little area you got to work with and wiggle them slightly while pulling with all your might. It'll come off,,,, eventually. I recommend wearing some mechanix gloves while attempting to do this, it will aid in getting it off and not hurting yourself.

-Ray-
11-22-2014, 02:04 AM
If you kill a wire, let me know. I have 4 or 5 oem wires extra.

Napalm
11-24-2014, 08:48 AM
mine were tight after years and thousands of miles on em. I seemed to not damage any of them by pulling them with a twisting motion on the big rubber ends - but IIRC there was one I took off by the heat shield itself.

in any case all wires came off with the heat shields attached.

good luck but if they didn't grease them then they might be stuck back on. even changing the plug.

I should have all 8 of mine sitting in a box in the garage if you need one or 2.

if getting replacements - so far I've been happy with my taylor wires.

todds87ss
11-24-2014, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Napalm;585288]mine were tight after years and thousands of miles on em. I seemed to not damage any of them by pulling them with a twisting motion on the big rubber ends - but IIRC there was one I took off by the heat shield itself.

good luck but if they didn't grease them then they might be stuck back on. even changing the plug.

QUOTE]

sounds like my experience as well... try pulling on the heat shields. I one comes off of the wire, twist the plug boot to break the
"seal", then they pull off. If you decide to purchase new wires, stay away from the wires from your local auto parts stores. These (BWD, et al) have very weak clips, and do not hold well. Taylor and MSD work very well.