PDA

View Full Version : Can you say "Road Trip"

xfactor
02-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Okay, so I have had something in the work for quite sometime. In fact, since before I bought my GXP. Today it all came together.:)

Today, I put in my two week notice at work. I have accepted a job as Chief Operations Officer/Executive Vice President of a newly formed company that was a division of a company I have done business with for more than 10 years. Here's the kicker, It is in Vancouver Washington (yeap I live in Tennessee)

My father, who is 69 years old and hasn't retired because he is bored and my mom would kill him if he was around the house all the time, has been wanting to take a trip across the US.

So, you take the perfect situation add in a brand new G8 GXP and you have a 2700 mile road trip! So here's the deal, we want to stop and see things along the way, Monument Valley is a request from Dad so that is a definite. But, I would like your input on places to stop. Hell, maybe we can see some of you along the way. We take off in 2 weeks. I say Road Trip but you know I am thinking Cannonball!

X

p.s. Wife and Kids will be flying out as soon as I find a place to live. Also have to sell my home, anyone interested in moving to Tennessee?

R.Penguin
02-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Okay, so I have had something in the work for quite sometime. In fact, since before I bought my GXP. Today it all came together.:)

Today, I put in my two week notice at work. I have accepted a job as Chief Operations Officer/Executive Vice President of a newly formed company that was a division of a company I have done business with for more than 10 years. Here's the kicker, It is in Vancouver Washington (yeap I live in Tennessee)

My father, who is 69 years old and hasn't retired because he is bored and my mom would kill him if he was around the house all the time, has been wanting to take a trip across the US.

So, you take the perfect situation add in a brand new G8 GXP and you have a 2700 mile road trip! So here's the deal, we want to stop and see things along the way, Monument Valley is a request from Dad so that is a definite. But, I would like your input on places to stop. Hell, maybe we can see some of you along the way. We take off in 2 weeks. I say Road Trip but you know I am thinking Cannonball!

X

p.s. Wife and Kids will be flying out as soon as I find a place to live. Also have to sell my home, anyone interested in moving to Tennessee?
Vancouver, WA. is spread over a lot of territory. Basically a huge suburb just N. of Portland. I think the NE area is nicest with lot's of nice homes to pick from.

Featherburner
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Congratulations and good luck with the new job.

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Vancouver is a beautiful area. Just North of the Columbia river. Green, Green, Green.
Ok, you need to buy plaid to blend in. :)
Oh yeah, it rains there a lot too. It's on the wet side. (Cascades)

GM_Fan
02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Congrats on the job.

Take your time and enjoy the drive. Take to path less traveled.

R.Penguin
02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
If you take the job, (I would) get the skinny on where the good spots for housing are. As Ray said, it's a beautiful area and I don't think there are any "bad" parts of town.

Do avoid being tempted to cross the river into Oregon. If you do, and your office is in Vancouver, plan on 1-3 hours a day to commute 1-3 miles on I-5. Just my humble opinion. The I-205 side to the east is better, but I don't think Vancouver has any major traffic problems. Also, Hwy 14 is a wonderful thing. :p

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
No state tax in Oregon I believe. :)

xfactor
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks all, got the area and house stuff covered. I have been there several times over the years and took my wife there in the fall. We have a Realtor working for us right now. We like several homes but we are undecided on the size. I like a big house and my wife doesn't. Currently we have a large home so she wants to down size a little.

Mainly on this thread I was looking for places to stop along the way on the trip and hoped that you all might know some good places to see. Thanx.

Kermit
02-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I know you want mostly info on where to stop along the way but I can't help myself in saying that your wife does not want a big house and you do right? Well how about splitting in the middle and get a BIG garage for the GXP and all the modding you might want to do. :)

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, coming from TN, you may want to use I70 across. I've done 40 several times now and is not as as scenic as 70.
I've seen the Gateway Arch in St Louis, Lots of places to see in Colorado.

ktulu
02-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I know I'm a very new member and my opinion may not be worth much, but in my opinion, if you want to have fun on a road trip and have the time to spare, the only way to go is to avoid the interstates and take US highways instead. That way, you actually go through towns and cities instead of flying by them in a straight line at 75mph. You get much more local flavor, it breaks the monotony, and you feel like you're actually going someplace instead of endlessly staring at featureless concrete walls. Plus, US highways, or at least the older alignments of such still in use, tend to follow the terrain rather than cutting through it, which makes for much more fun in a car such as a GXP. Personally, I just got my GXP, and I was out on some state and US highways earlier today because I knew they'd provide some fun during the break-in. Again, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Congrats on the new job, in any case. I'm sure the road trip will be epic no matter what.

xfactor
03-01-2009, 04:16 AM
I know you want mostly info on where to stop along the way but I can't help myself in saying that your wife does not want a big house and you do right? Well how about splitting in the middle and get a BIG garage for the GXP and all the modding you might want to do. :)

I will have to say, I have a great wife and one of the selling factors she was using on a house she has pick out was "and look it has a four car garage and one of the bays is oversized." I don't know which she is more, a great wife or a brilliant negotiator??

Ktulu and G8Ray, thanks for the suggestions. I am a little concerned about taking 70 this time of year. I do believe that we may be missing some of the best country in the US but I am more concerned about weather. What are your thoughts on it?

Getting off the Interstate is a great idea. At least 1/3 of the trip we do plan to do that, maybe more since you suggested it.

Thanks again,
X

-Ray-
03-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Do you have google earth? If not, download it.
I'm sure you've been to Nashville. I don't know exactly where you live so I just used TN as the starting point.
Nashville, St. Louis is where the Gateway Arch is, then to Kansas City where the Liberty memorial is. You can head North through Nebraska to Western South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore. You can see how fast your G8 is when you go through Wyoming. LOL
Shoshone Falls is in Idaho on the Snake River. A must see.
Won't be long, you'll be able to see Mount Hood, and St. Helens.

-Ray-
03-01-2009, 04:22 AM
I will have to say, I have a great wife and one of the selling factors she was using on a house she has pick out was "and look it has a four car garage and one of the bays is oversized." I don't know which she is more, a great wife or a brilliant negotiator??

Ktulu and G8Ray, thanks for the suggestions. I am a little concerned about taking 70 this time of year. I do believe that we may be missing some of the best country in the US but I am more concerned about weather. What are your thoughts on it?

Getting off the Interstate is a great idea. At least 1/3 of the trip we do plan to do that, maybe more since you suggested it.

Thanks again,
X

Looking at google earth, it doesn't put you on 70 for very long. If I remember correctly is just snowed in the South last week. So, that's possible I guess. Anytime you get in the mid-west near spring, severe thunderstorms are a real possibility. You deff need to watch the weather, and hope for high pressure system parked over Kansas. :)

xfactor
03-01-2009, 04:55 AM
G8 Ray, very nice advise. I do have google earth and will take your advise and use it for reference. I am using Mapquest for trip planning as it will upload to my Garming GPS.

By the way, I am starting my journey in Johnson City, Tennessee. Look where NC, VA, and TN meet, that's where I am!

99-LS1-SS
03-01-2009, 05:01 AM
I would try to see Yellowstone if I were making the trip. Maybe Mt. Rushmore too. I know they wouldn't be straight lines to where you are going but it would be scenic.

slammie
03-02-2009, 06:53 AM
I would recommend a more southern route to catch either Vegas or the Grand Canyon. I'd stop in Death Valley in the pm to see the sky. Afterwards, make your way into Yosemite. Then, dash to the coast and take the scenic HWY all the way up.

Central: I-70 through CO to see the mountains is a beautiful drive.

If you do start north right away, the Black Hills in SD is beautiful: Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc. And, you'll see the Badlands too, which are interesting. Idaho is very beautiful too, although probably not in March.

I'd stay clear of Nebraska and Kansas if at all possible...long, very boring, and Nebraska smells, smells, and keeps on smelling during the entire trek through the state -- literally..I'm not lying.

Once you settle in...let us know how the trip went in the GXP. I'm on the fence with this car and need more justifications to take the plunge. Thanks!

Have a great trip!

ktulu
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
One easy suggestion I see is between Boise and Portland, if you choose that route. I-84 takes you north, then west, and looks like it may be an okay drive for an interstate, but life doesn't happen on interstates. (It's against the rules. Really.) Luckily, you also have the choice of either US 20, which goes west, then north, or US 26, which takes you directly to Portland. Looking at DeLorme Street Atlas, it looks like US 26 has some very nice curves in it, and as a bonus, it goes right past Mt Hood. On the other hand, US 20 has some wonderful twisty bits as well, but it also has some longer straight stretches. In any case, it looks like you'll be set for fun driving roads in your new neck of the woods once you get settled in. I'm a little envious of you, getting to take such a great trip in such a great car right off the bat. No matter what route you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. Good luck.

xfactor
03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Just finished my road trip. 3300 miles in 4.5 days. A lot of stories to tell and a lot of pix. But those will have to wait until I get my computer up and running (this is from a hotel computer).

Quick facts - Never had to take it out of 6th even thru the rocky's at elevations of 10K. Averaged 23.8 mpg for the entire trip. And finally, the Police in Utah will pull you over just to look at your car! NO TICKETS!!!!!! Really glad I covered the entire front of the car with black vinyl prior to starting the trip. More to follow when I can.

X

R.Penguin
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Just finished my road trip. 3300 miles in 4.5 days. A lot of stories to tell and a lot of pix. But those will have to wait until I get my computer up and running (this is from a hotel computer).

Quick facts - Never had to take it out of 6th even thru the rocky's at elevations of 10K. Averaged 23.8 mpg for the entire trip. And finally, the Police in Utah will pull you over just to look at your car! NO TICKETS!!!!!! Really glad I covered the entire front of the car with black vinyl prior to starting the trip. More to follow when I can.

X
Well, welcome to the sodden Northwest. Do not be alarmed when you begin to meet other people in the area that are almost blue-white complexion-wise. They ARE NOT DEAD! This is the default skin color for people here until summer arrives. Summer starts on July 12, and ends on July 13, unless we have a hot year. No one has a tan. One day of burnt-red, 2 weeks of swearing, itching and peeling, then back to skim-milk blue/white. You will eventually come to love the area and will wonder why you ever thought the sun was really important at all. If y'all ever get up North of Seattle, give a call and we will show you the sights in Snohomish County. In the short, fat flightless waterfowl that is half green & half black. The mold doesn't show so much on the black part. :p