PDA

View Full Version : I got killed by an 04 Cobra...

Blackdevil77
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I was coming back from Kaltech today that i will make a right up about later tonight, and on the way back, we (me and friend) came across a 2004 Mustang Cobra. My friend wanted me to rev, i didn't want to cuz i don't like street racing, but did anyway. We played around a bit till he signaled for me to make a U turn cuz the other lane had no traffic. We go from a 40 roll, and we hang with him for a split second, then he just leaves me like im standing still. I gave up at 110 he was out of sight. He slows and we go to talk to him. His car WAS pullied, long tube headers, full exhaust, and CAI and he beefed the whole thing up.
In case no one here knows, the pulley for these cars add's about 70 rwhp. Car was definitely a high 11 second car at least. He ripped me a second ass hole. Kid in the passenger seat was screaming like a woman, he was so excited. The way that thing went. DAMN!

norm8332
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Time for the blower. Then a rematch!

The Commodore
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Very honorable death. Cobras don't lose very often.

They are very deadly when modded.

Don't feel so bad....not many people can beat that car...not even some exotics.

-Ray-
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
No shame here.

Blackdevil77
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I know they are ridiculous. It was fast as hell. The guy was cool though. He said he loves G8's and that mine was beautiful.

GRRRR8
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Send him my way! :devil:

Blackdevil77
02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Send him my way! :devil:

It would be a good race. But Charlie, the way this thing took off, HOLY SHIT! Seriously left me like i was standing still. Im not even joking, 10 car lengths in less than 3 seconds. Even if I got a blower, he would still beat me. This calls for a cam, stall and blower. Then we got em!

GRRRR8
02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Dont race them from a roll. Our cars leave pretty damn good with practice and if you can make him run your race it closes the gap. This car you ran was a low 11 sec car. It doesnt take much to get low 12s, with no headers. I raced a lot of them with my Mach and they would be shocked to find I was N/A. My car 60fted 1.50s, so they always had to chase me. I was 800 lbs lighter, thats .8 tenths of a second. Stock for stock they were only about .2 quicker. I wished I had bought one when I bought the 03 GT, but then I wouldnt be here talking to you now would I? :)

Blackdevil77
02-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Dont race them from a roll. Our cars leave pretty damn good with practice and if you can make him run your race it closes the gap. This car you ran was a low 11 sec car. It doesnt take much to get low 12s, with no headers. I raced a lot of them with my Mach and they would be shocked to find I was N/A. My car 60fted 1.50s, so they always had to chase me. I was 800 lbs lighter, thats .8 tenths of a second. Stock for stock they were only about .2 quicker. I wished I had bought one when I bought the 03 GT, but then I wouldnt be here talking to you now would I? :)

yes that's true. If it truly is a low 11 second car, ill never beat it with this car. My goal is low 12's, high 11's. Can't really afford much more than that. I'm happy were I stand :)

SRG963
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Dont feel bad, that cobra was a Terminator.

03-04 Cobras are bad ass cars!

GeorgeInNePa
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking a mild cam and twins.

Even if you don't beat him, you'll scare the bejesus out of him.

:)

Darkside
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
With the mods you described, that Cobra would be a high 11 second car WITH a good driver. Of course you made it easier on him by going from a roll. My old Cobra had similar mods to those. My current Cobra with a Whipple makes the old one look ssslllooowww.

Honorable death.

Devilish34
02-27-2009, 07:58 PM

these twins http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=g8gentt|0

UGotSmkd
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
The Cobra's from a dig can be tough to launch with their IRS, especially with a driver who can't launch well. A good launch in our cars could make the race competitive.

Mike P
02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
The guy that owns the Pizza Place in town got an 03-04 Cobra, modded with an exhaust (I don't think headers) smaller pulley, and he's thinking about getting a Kenne Bell Supercharger instead of the stock one.

He said the previous owner ran a 11.73 in Florida and it makes over 500 rwhp. I'm like shit! I'm still going to run him, before and after the cam. :)

I'll make sure I run him from a stop. :)

Those Supercharged Mustangs are sweet!

respect....

bwooten492
02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
like everyone else has said dont feel bad. My friend with a cam stall bolt on camaro got busted hard by my other friends 04 cobra that just had intake exhaust and tune!!!
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

GeorgeInNePa
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM
these twins http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=g8gentt|0 (http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=g8gentt%7C0)

:devil:

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 03:23 AM

Still thinking about the cam? LOL

MANOFSTEEL69
02-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Losing to a Mustang......Honorable! Long is it's not a Mopar I won't razz you! ;)

Robert@KBXPerformance
02-28-2009, 09:10 AM
With the mods you described, that Cobra would be a high 11 second car WITH a good driver. Of course you made it easier on him by going from a roll. My old Cobra had similar mods to those. My current Cobra with a Whipple makes the old one look ssslllooowww.

Honorable death.

With a good driver and stickies a Cobra with those mods would be in the middle 11's pretty solid. Of course we all know how much the driver mod affects the outcome of races. I see all sorts of people only putting down middle/low 11's with KB and Whipple Terminators getting 600-650rwhp to the ground. With a good driver those vehicles see middle 10's no problem. I guess what I am trying to say is that it doesn't take any sort of real special drive to get one of those cars into the high 11's with the stated mods. Of course "pulley" is pretty broad. When I hear "pulley" for the Terminators I always assume the 2.76" pulley, not one of the bigger diameter counterparts.

Blackdevil77
02-28-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah that thing was a mid 11 second car at least. I wouldn't be surprised if he could pull of some high 10's with stickies. And he seemed to be a very good driver and new what he was talking about. He was a cool guy.

GeorgeInNePa
02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Still thinking about the cam? LOL

Yea, Charlie's got me talked into it. He's getting me a parts order list now.

I'm going to hit the track a time or two before the cam install. Goin to try for .30s just bolt-ons, first.

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
My friend with a cam stall bolt on camaro got busted hard by my other friends 04 cobra that just had intake exhaust and tune!!!

It must have been pullied as well, because I was tearing up non-pullied bolt on Cobras when I was cam only/full bolt on, was it from a roll or dig? Now w/ my H/C/I combo I'll pull the pullied/full bolt on ones.

I love playing w/ these Cobras in my TA. Only one I've managed to lose to is a 2.2 Whipple'd Cobra and that was by .4 @ the track(11.37 to my 11.75). They're serious business when built right, but getting into the 10's would almost REQUIRE a solid axle rear. Most do a 8.8 or 9" swap, and pull the T56 and throw in a C4 trans. There's plenty of them around here to not own one and have a TON of knowledge against them. lol My first of the race in my TA this season, is in fact going to be against a Cobra running on Methanol kit, NOS plate kit, STG 5 ported blower, twin super car GT external pumps, 2.76 pulley, full exhaust, CAI, 9" solid rear. I'll finally be on the spray (150) so it should be fun.

red1997zq8
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
to start with I grew up loving and driving a mustang.. but its asshole like a guy in traffic on a nice day with the windows down drives up to the light and says "i cant believe Pontiac put the letters GT on that 4 door. He was in a Mustang GT around a 06 model with flowmasters. I was stuck behind a Civic blowing Smoke when the light greened. Pissed me off hopefully one day if i dont one of you guys kill this ass.Hes giving the classic mustang a dumbass look. BTW its an 06 model silver, flowmaster, back window has Mustang Horse with GT in Silver and red. Panhandle Florida area. Somone shut this guy UP.

EC-Ryder
03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
You have died an honorable death, the only thing deadlier than a cobra is a mamba…

Cheers!

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
It must have been pullied as well, because I was tearing up non-pullied bolt on Cobras when I was cam only/full bolt on, was it from a roll or dig? Now w/ my H/C/I combo I'll pull the pullied/full bolt on ones.

I love playing w/ these Cobras in my TA. Only one I've managed to lose to is a 2.2 Whipple'd Cobra and that was by .4 @ the track(11.37 to my 11.75). They're serious business when built right, but getting into the 10's would almost REQUIRE a solid axle rear. Most do a 8.8 or 9" swap, and pull the T56 and throw in a C4 trans. There's plenty of them around here to not own one and have a TON of knowledge against them. lol My first of the race in my TA this season, is in fact going to be against a Cobra running on Methanol kit, NOS plate kit, STG 5 ported blower, twin super car GT external pumps, 2.76 pulley, full exhaust, CAI, 9" solid rear. I'll finally be on the spray (150) so it should be fun.

Kenne Bell made the 2.2's for the Cobra's. Whipple was the 2.3 Lysholm blower. Since then they of course have gone bigger.

A Terminator does not need a solid rear swap in the least to get into the 10's. Stocker suspension and sticky tires, with the power to back it all up has seen these cars push past 10.5 ET's on the strip fairly regularly. Even people running those times with the stocker halfshafts, though they will usually spit one out every now and then when launching. Still shifting through the T56 too. Now getting into the 9's with those cars will start requiring the items you mentioned. The Ford GT Supercar pumps are an internal pump and are installed in place of the stocker dual pumps in the 03-04 Cobra's.

I don't mean to look like the guy that has to correct everything everyone says in here but I just want to make sure that the most correct information is being used/passed around. Happy racing guys.

bwooten492
03-02-2009, 05:05 PM

No its not pullied but it was a 60 roll and the Z is an A4 with a stall. So it favors the cobra from the beginning.

Devilish34
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
:devil:

I want a different rear those damn 2.92 need to go .

Darkside
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I want a different rear those damn 2.92 need to go .

I agree, I don't see why we won't be able to swap the 3.27 gears out of the Gxp.

GRRRR8
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree, I don't see why we won't be able to swap the 3.27 gears out of the Gxp.

The diffs are a direct swap.

Executor999
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
For real? Our rear end gears are 2.92?! How much for 3.27's?

The Commodore
03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
to start with I grew up loving and driving a mustang.. but its asshole like a guy in traffic on a nice day with the windows down drives up to the light and says "i cant believe Pontiac put the letters GT on that 4 door. He was in a Mustang GT around a 06 model with flowmasters. I was stuck behind a Civic blowing Smoke when the light greened. Pissed me off hopefully one day if i dont one of you guys kill this ass.Hes giving the classic mustang a dumbass look. BTW its an 06 model silver, flowmaster, back window has Mustang Horse with GT in Silver and red. Panhandle Florida area. Somone shut this guy UP.

I would have stayed with him for as long as possible and laugh my ass off to him. I had a Mustang owner be an ass to me in my G8 as well. Too much to explain but he was an idiot...I posted it in the lounge section.

Funny thing is I like Mustangs, but a lot of their owners are overly cocky.

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Kenne Bell made the 2.2's for the Cobra's. Whipple was the 2.3 Lysholm blower. Since then they of course have gone bigger.

A Terminator does not need a solid rear swap in the least to get into the 10's. Stocker suspension and sticky tires, with the power to back it all up has seen these cars push past 10.5 ET's on the strip fairly regularly. Even people running those times with the stocker halfshafts, though they will usually spit one out every now and then when launching. Still shifting through the T56 too. Now getting into the 9's with those cars will start requiring the items you mentioned. The Ford GT Supercar pumps are an internal pump and are installed in place of the stocker dual pumps in the 03-04 Cobra's.

I don't mean to look like the guy that has to correct everything everyone says in here but I just want to make sure that the most correct information is being used/passed around. Happy racing guys.

Oh no, don't apologize for having to correct me lol. I only know what they tell me with all the KB or Whipple 2.2s, 2.3s numbers flying around I get mixed up. And I don't know why I put external on that post, that was a typo, as I truly meant to put internal. :nud:

See everyone around here that's at least pullied has gone through a set of halfshafts, one in particular went through four!:poof: So that was just my general assumption, based on all the failures and their knowledge.

Thanks for the corrections.:)

'02 ws6
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
No its not pullied but it was a 60 roll and the Z is an A4 with a stall. So it favors the cobra from the beginning.

Oh well in that case, the Z was at a fairly significant disadvantage. I'm betting the Cobra was in 3rd right when boost was building. My first thought was a stalled/cammed Z from a dig is a monster so how did it lose lol.

Blackdevil77
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
For real? Our rear end gears are 2.92?! How much for 3.27's?

This

Devilish34
03-02-2009, 07:49 PM

I was thinking 3.55 3.73 (or there about)

What size is the rear on the G8 GT?

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I was thinking 3.55 3.73 (or there about)

What size is the rear on the G8 GT?

For the gearing of these 6 speed auto transmissions that is numerically pretty high. Remember that good gear ratios are not universal. What might be the perfect gear for one car due to x amount of power, x amount of traction, and x type of transmission may not be the right gear ratio for another vehicle of different configuration.

Blackdevil77
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking 3.27 is perfect. It's used on the GXP with the same tranny (if you get an auto)