PDA

View Full Version : Intake/Exhaust - Tune needed?

lurch
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
So here's kind of a noob question even though I've been reading through the forums enough....

If I get an intake and a catback exhaust, is a tune suggested or NEEDED?

wreckwriter
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Strongly suggested, really needed to take advantage of the mods.

majesticix
02-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Not needed, but I would definitely recommend it. Even without the mods, a high quality tune makes a world of difference. I had my tuned by New Era locally, but I hear great things about VMS if you don't have a local shop nearby that specializes in tuning LS Engines/G8s

MojaveG8
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I am saying needed. Why spend the money on the mods and not make the most of them.

norm8332
02-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Do it. Especially the transmission.

G8-4-Speed
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Tune it! If your going to put money in it for more performance, then a tuning is money well spent. Just make sure to have all your bolt-ons done before you do it. Tuning will generally pickup more power than your mods will.

lurch
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info.

I guess the other question and what I was hinting at is: Will I or should I encounter any CEL's or performance loss if I install a CAI and Exhaust without a tune?

I've got my Magnaflow cat back and Roto-Fab on the way!

SRG963
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info.

I guess the other question and what I was hinting at is: Will I or should I encounter any CEL's or performance loss if I install a CAI and Exhaust without a tune?

I've got my Magnaflow cat back and Roto-Fab on the way!

No codes or performance loss with those. A tune will increase the added performance.

-Ray-
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
If you don't have the cash for a tune it's not a big deal right now. You will get a little performance from those mods, but a tune will get the air fuel ratio correct for optimum performance and mileage.
You should be code free.

d_toll
03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Here's a question to add to the thread.. How horrible is the AFM/DOD with the above listed mods. I don't want a sweet sounding car, only to have it sound like a 4 banger on roids when it drops cylinders..

Alvin
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
as said earlier you will not have to have a tune but it would benifit you as much if not more than the mods by itself.

wyldman
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Here's a question to add to the thread.. How horrible is the AFM/DOD with the above listed mods. I don't want a sweet sounding car, only to have it sound like a 4 banger on roids when it drops cylinders..
From what I hear you do get a pretty bad drone from catbacks. I also hear that you dont if you go with some long tube headers and stock exhaust but still get a nice rumble and way more horsepower. Like someone else said; do you want to sound like your going fast or to be going fast.