PDA

View Full Version : How to black trim?

conipc
02-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Any experience with the tape for blacking out chrome?

Mav
02-27-2009, 06:17 AM
I think this was talked about last week. . . ready for it?

I'd say search. :p

conipc
02-27-2009, 06:51 AM
did that,,,,no help

Mav
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow, you suck at life. I searched "chrome" and found this about 15 posts down: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3944&highlight=chrome

You're welcome.

conipc
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Thank you Mav, but that thread has to do with chrome grilles, which are plastic, not the window trim, which is metal, and as far as I can tell nowhere near the grille, which I posted about and actually painted....
And, you're at least right that I suck at life!

confused2much
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
the window trim, which is metal, and as far as I can tell nowhere near the grille, which I posted about and actually painted....

Should have included those details with the original post cause I assumed you were asking about the chrome around the grills also.

Steve
02-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Crazy Paul sells the black window moldings and I know some who've actually used (high-quality) electrical tape - you just need to replace it once in a while

caretaker
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I just found an article from someone who
swears by this stuff. Looks like it should work.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/w8930190.html

Personally, when it warms up I am going to try
using wide pin striping tape. It should conform well to
the curves and is relatively permanent.

PantherGTBlack
02-27-2009, 11:54 PM
etching primer and paint and sandpaper...perhaps RB designs will chime in on this, he knows his stuff.

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 03:40 AM
I have some 3M black _tape_, that I'll be using to black out my window moldings as soon as the weather is warm enough.

99-LS1-SS
02-28-2009, 03:58 AM
I've been considering blacking my trim too. When my brother repairs my rear bumper I'll probably do the trim. I'll put up the process then. I know that isn't much help now though...

xfactor
02-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I am still thinking about doing mine. We have a vinyl decal sign cutter at work so I got some black vinyl decal material from them. We use it on aircraft for temporary registration numbers. Some stay on for years. It has a 7 year color fast rating and sticky as hell. Also it stretches very well. You could go to any sign shop and buy the raw material or on the web. A roll of about 120' will cost you $60 to $70, but if you buy about 5' to 10' you should get it for around $10. It comes about 12" wide so you will have a lot extra. I have used it to black out my Pontiac Arrow on the front, back, and wheels. It has stayed on thru the car was and bad weather, but then again I have only had it on for about 2 weeks. Soon as the weather is good I will probably put it on the window trim.

X

TomPierce
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I did the blackout tape on my Impala, and I have 2 hints

1) do not stretch the tape as you install it - it will eventually shrink and cause gaps. This is a particular problem if it is hot outside when you install it. Try to install it with as little tension on the tape as possible.

2) don't count on being able to stretch it around curves or corners - it will eventually come lose or peel if you try

OK 3 hints :)

3) to join 2 tape strips - overlap them and then cut through both layers - remove the excess and you should have a nice tight join

conipc
02-28-2009, 10:38 AM
The rear window has to be the hardest to get right. Tom, what tape did you use? I've seen BMW stuff on ebay ("e46 shadowline") that seems right. I just don't think I have the skill to get it on right. Paint is an option, but LOTS of masking needed or trim removal...