N140445
NHTSA Recall #:
Awaiting#
Date Issued:
Sep 02, 2014
Recall Title:

Ignition Switch

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2011-2013 model year (MY) Chevrolet Caprice and 2008-2009 MY Pontiac G8 vehicles. There is a risk, under certain conditions, that some drivers may bump the ignition key with their knee and unintentionally move the key away from the run position.

Safety Risk Description:

If this occurs, engine power, and power braking will be affected and power steering may be affected, increasing the risk of a crash. The timing of the key movement out of the run position, relative to the activation of the sensing algorithm of the crash event, may result in the airbags not deploying, increasing the potential for occupant injury in certain kinds of crashes.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to remove the key blade from the original flip key/RKE transmitter assemblies provided with the vehicle, and provide two new keys and two key rings per key free of charge. Until the recall has been performed, it is very important that drivers adjust their seat and steering column to allow clearance between their knee and the ignition key.

roman1978
09-04-2014, 10:04 AM
very interesting I guess we all going to get letters soon

J Wikoff
09-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Eh... I like my flip key. Of course, safety is a concern, I'll have to see what these new keys look like first. You might think they'd just give you a new existing style fixed key, but the FOB is the same size and that wouldn't change anything.

roman1978
09-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I like my key too my worry now is that they will discontinue our fobs and we wont be able to get replacement ones and they do wear out

TooManyHobbies
09-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I like my fob as it is. It is not a safety hazard. Can we just recall the idiots that started this whole thing? If your knee is anywhere near the fob you are doing something during driving you should not. If you have 10 pounds of dangly things hanging off your keyring you need to grow up.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-04-2014, 01:17 PM
With the Camaro's they remove the blade from the key fob and put a regular key on the key ring end. I'm sure ours will be very similar
Before

After

roman1978
09-04-2014, 01:24 PM
I am not going to bring tin skew them I like my fob the way it is

J Wikoff
09-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Sorry, double post.

J Wikoff
09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I'll have to remember to use the fixed key if I ever take the car in again, in case they try to force it on me.

They can have my flip key when they decide to put a push button start in instead.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-04-2014, 01:29 PM
They can have my flip key when they decide to put a push button start in instead.

X2 :)
I plan to trade in my fixed key and tell them I lost the other. I'm also taking good transmitter and button pad

-Ray-
09-04-2014, 02:30 PM
I only traded in one key when I had the recall done on the Solstice.

BLKG8
09-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Anyone do this "recall" yet. ?
By the looks of camaro fix, doesn't it add more hanging weight??

AuuuSSSIII YA' LATA
09-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Yea so I work for Chevy and you have gotten the recall before I hae received an email about it....why because I'm dealing with the other 60 million recalls in Philly. To be honest it sounds like the same recall for the new camaros....my customer (10 sec street camaro) was like yea my knee doesn't hit the key when driving....so he just declined the recall. Boom recall notices gone!

AuuuSSSIII YA' LATA
09-04-2014, 06:19 PM
I will also be keeping my flip key and decline as soon as I can.

RWD-V8
09-05-2014, 01:56 AM
I have 4 keys. I doubt they'll provide more than what the vehicle came with... so you're SOL on extra keys.

Joeygr8gt
09-05-2014, 03:40 AM
When I bought my car I was only given one key from a used dealer does that mean I will be able to get a spare key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soup070
09-05-2014, 04:17 AM
When I bought my car I was only given one key from a used dealer does that mean I will be able to get a spare key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not, just going to remove the key blade from the flip key and install it on a individual hanging key. GM has now gone overly stupid on recalls, if it happens to make you sneeze then they'll put out a recall. I'm 6'6'" and there is no way I can hit it with my knee while driving, my knee doesn't even get close to my Cruze either. Basically why is your knee up that high while driving? Are people putting their feet up on the dash while driving with cruise control? My wife and I are keeping our flip key.

BLKG8
09-05-2014, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't get this done, but was just curious if anyone had.
Its contradicting the way they say not to have anything hanging on the key ring and now they want to separate the fob and key.....:confused:
O well...

Greg@PacePerformance
09-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't get this done, but was just curious if anyone had.
Its contradicting the way they say not to have anything hanging on the key ring and now they want to separate the fob and key.....:confused:
O well...

Two different recalls/issues
The one where they say not to hang stuff from the key is on cars where the key can be turned slightly by the added weight.
On the Camaro/G8 the key&Fob can be hit with a knee and switched to the off position.

BLKG8
09-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Two different recalls/issues
The one where they say not to hang stuff from the key is on cars where the key can be turned slightly by the added weight.
On the Camaro/G8 the key&Fob can be hit with a knee and switched to the off position.

O.ok. I was think it was that the g8 was affected as the other cars were. Well thats a relief. I never kick my knee's when i drive so im good.:)

Crazy Paul
09-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Probably not, just going to remove the key blade from the flip key and install it on a individual hanging key. GM has now gone overly stupid on recalls, if it happens to make you sneeze then they'll put out a recall. I'm 6'6'" and there is no way I can hit it with my knee while driving, my knee doesn't even get close to my Cruze either. Basically why is your knee up that high while driving? Are people putting their feet up on the dash while driving with cruise control? My wife and I are keeping our flip key.
GM are protecting themselves from lawsuits and they think they're doing a good deed for the community.
If they manage to save one innocent life then yes they have done good, but there's a thing called Natural Selection....where only the fittest, healthiest, and smartest survive.
If a driver is too stupid to work out the key got turned off and that he or she can turn it back on themselves, or is travelling at warp speed that leaves insufficient time to do so before impact.....then IMO it's not GM's job to save these people from their own stupidity.
IMO GM and others are already facilitating a generation of brain dead idiots on our roads with automatic parking assist, blind side alerts, automatic headlamps, rain sensing wipers, voice recognition infotainment, sat nav, bluetooth, etc etc

Chewy
09-05-2014, 04:06 PM
They'll have to pull the switchblade key out of my cold dead hand!

LDM
09-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Is Holden going to issue a recall for the thousands of Commodores with the identical key, or do they just figure that anyone dumb enough to actually get killed by this has already been killed off by giant spiders or crocodiles over there?

Crazy Paul
09-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Is Holden going to issue a recall for the thousands of Commodores with the identical key, or do they just figure that anyone dumb enough to actually get killed by this has already been killed off by giant spiders or crocodiles over there?
It'll be interesting to see.
Common sense does seem more common over here.
(It wasn't until VE introduction in late 2006 that one had to push in the clutch to key start a manual Holden).
Nanny features in Holdens usually follow GM with a considerable time lag......the Holden engineers need time to stop laughing I suppose.

-Ray-
09-06-2014, 01:34 AM
I told the dealership that I'll decline the recall.

Periodic
09-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Recalling this key fob...from which Ive never heard of a serious issue...but will not recall failing dod lifters..tisk tisk.

williamGT
09-06-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm keeping my key the way it is..... I'm 6 foot 2 and my knee isn't close to my key.

Kaos
09-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Greg...can you still get the switchblade key or are they out of the system now?

Greg@PacePerformance
09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I can still get them as of Friday. ITook today off to get some house work done :)

soup070
09-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Ok like the Camaro fix shows, do our keys come apart the same way? If so, if I take the fixed switch blade key could I remove the key blade would it fit on a new flip key and reuse the transmitter from it also? If so that would quite a bit in having a key cut.

Greg@PacePerformance
09-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Our keys are different from the Camaro keys. Ours do not have a pin that holds the key in place like the Camaro, but you can remove the key blade with some work.
Yes GM is still selling the flip keys.

20G8GT09
09-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I was going to buy the key fob/flip key from Greg but I tried two separate dealerships near me and they told me they will not cut the key blank for me due to a possible recall. This was about 2-3 months ago. I'm stuck with the crappy solid key with fob built in.

J Wikoff
09-09-2014, 01:03 PM
You can get new keys on eBay, and some sellers will even cut the key. I just ordered a new cut flip key, in case they disappear down the road.

LDM
10-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I still haven't gotten anything in the mail about this but now apparently the NY Times is reporting it. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/10/04/us/ap-us-general-motors-recalls.html

Still can't see how someone could hit the ignition with their knee under normal driving conditions...

b_rannan2003
10-05-2014, 02:41 PM
not sure how you could hit the key and turn the car off butt Im ok with getting a new ignition and keys. I only got one key when I purchased my car so I hope they will give me two and not charge me for it.

GM Customer Service
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I still haven't gotten anything in the mail about this but now apparently the NY Times is reporting it. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/10/04/us/ap-us-general-motors-recalls.html

Still can't see how someone could hit the ignition with their knee under normal driving conditions...

Hello LDM,

We certainly don’t want our customers to feel worried or concerned. Please send me your VIN in a private message so that I can check to see if your vehicle is associated with an active recall.
Kind regards,

Shane M.
GM Customer Care

ABDAWG
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM

None of us will get any notification until a fix is available.

If the status field states, “INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE,” GM will send you written communication once the remedy is available to properly repair your vehicle, or you can check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.

LDM
10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Hello LDM,

We certainly don’t want our customers to feel worried or concerned. Please send me your VIN in a private message so that I can check to see if your vehicle is associated with an active recall.
Kind regards,

Shane M.
GM Customer Care

Bumping the key with my knee is the least of my worries or concerns.

-Ray-
10-07-2014, 01:43 AM
None of us will get any notification until a fix is available.

Not true. Our '12 Equinox has an active recall on a seat bolt. No bolts are available. Our recall letter says not to adjust the seat until we are notified that parts are available. We have 3 GM cars and 1 Ford. Guess which one wasn't recalled.

tchr49
10-07-2014, 02:35 AM
I was going to check and see if there was a recall on knees, but I think I'm way out of warranty.......

Adam
10-07-2014, 12:46 PM
The info is based off of an issue I have had since 2009 when I bought the car brand new. 1st stall and shop visit was 92 miles. My car has stalled out while in the hands of 4 different dealers who could never fix it. Recently I lost power, hit the corner of the front bumper as well as taking a chunk out of my tire and screwing up alignment when there was another loss of power that locked my wheel in a parking lot making me bump a curb before getting it restarted in time. The reports read a minor accident recently with no injuries... The whole lock of the wheel, loss of power steering, lack of power brakes, are nearly word for word what I told them would happen when it would stall. I would have to throw it into neutral start it, put it in gear, and make a turn, stop, go... just in time to avoid an accident.

They said they would work on these cars, for that reason, but could not help me if it was not the ignition. (Not jumping on a bandwagon, I brought it to their attention back in 2009 with my car) I doubt it is the key though. Never a knee to key issue, but you may not want to show your cards if at fault if you were GM. They told me to keep driving the car, I told them I was putting them on notice, and that it was documented on a corporate level of which I would hold them responsible with any issues resulting from this stall issue. I have the 3 10+ minute conversations recorded, because they said things like they realize my car is dangerous, sorry they could not fix it but now its out of warranty and out of their hands. One person told me to trade it in and make it someone elses problem. Things of that nature for the corporate office staff. Less than one week later it reads that 1 minor accident results in an entire lineup recall.

Sorry if this is a problem for anyone. GM never made right on my car that I love but cannot depend on. My car has about 40,000 miles now and while under warranty spent roughly 16 months in the shop. Still keeping the same problems it went in with. I do feel that this is in direct correlation with my concerns and issues I have had with my car literally since day 1.

djo165
10-07-2014, 07:55 PM
My 2009.5 GT engine died one time like that almost immediately after making a U-turn on a pretty busy street. So of course the steering lost all power assist and I had no power brakes, but I shifted into neutral and cranked the ignition and it fired back up just fine. That happened the second year I owned the car, and it freaked me out because I've never had a car just die while driving like that before. So far, that's the only time it ever happened. It would be really scary if it happened in the middle of a turn, or around pedestrians.

Gordon Freeman
10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
The only car that I’ve ever had that just shut off was a 1996 2 door Buick Regal GS with a 3.8L V6. It went on for months. Didn’t matter if the weather or the car was cold or warm, at idle or freeway speeds it would just shut down. Never a misfire or rough idle never an indication the car had an issue. Sometimes I’d start it to let it warm up on a cold morning and come out to find it shut its self-off. Or I’d be on the freeway at 70+ MPH and all of a sudden nothing. Didn’t set a code, had it to the dealer many times, hooked it up to a Tech II and everything was fine. Finally traded it in on a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, that I still have and is my DD. I was afraid the Buick was going to stall sometime while passing on a 2 lane road or while making a left turn at an intersection. I got to the point where I would automatically put it in neutral restart and back in drive without thinking. Now I wonder if the ignition switch was bad that far back. BTW it might not happen for a month then it might do it 2 or 3 times in a week totally random.

LDM
11-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Got the letter today...

Phil@PnP Tech
11-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Got the letter today...
Me too... placed it right into file 13.

-Ray-
11-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I got mine yesterday. I'm gonna frame all 3 of my gm recall letters.

Kermit
11-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Yup, mine came yesterday. Round filed it.

Matt82
11-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Got mine today, going in the circular file.

mot76
01-20-2015, 10:50 AM
X2 :)
I plan to trade in my fixed key and tell them I lost the other. I'm also taking good transmitter and button pad

It's January and they still haven't come up with a fix yet. In my case, I don't see an issue with my ignition.

J Wikoff
01-21-2015, 07:31 AM
I had an Acadia as a rental recently. It had the 10-15 year old looking key fob and seperate key. I'm pretty sure my in-laws' 14 Traverse has a flip key. I figure the same "fix" will apply to G8s.

mjones73
01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
The fix is available now. Basically they replace the key end of the fob with one turned 90 degrees. You'll lose the flip key in the process.

jeppsG8
02-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Just went in for my recall. Even after I called them yesterday to confirm that they could do it while I wait, they now said they have to order new keys. They will pull the key part out of the fob and chuck the key. Then give me a new normal ring key and I keep my fob as the remote. Not excited about it and kinda pissed that they didn't know that when I called yesterday, but I guess that's they way they are fixing it. The switch blade has been broken for years so it's probably better than what I've got now.

roman1978
02-10-2015, 09:50 AM
same hear I called mu dealer yesterday and they said they will order 2 new keys for me

Kaos
02-10-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm taking my non-flip keys for the recall. Even after reading all the posts, this one seems a bit silly. Just my $.02.

roman1978
02-10-2015, 10:05 AM
they actually told me they have to reprogram the ignition lol

cstmg8
02-10-2015, 10:35 AM
What if I want to keep my flip key? I have a blank I bought, will I still be able to get it cut?

Kaos
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM
What if I want to keep my flip key? I have a blank I bought, will I still be able to get it cut?
My GM dealer said they would do it. Can't speak for all of them though.

-Ray-
02-11-2015, 03:23 AM
I looked at the GM parts data base yesterday. I may have the non flip key done to get my G8 off the recall notice.

Executor999
02-11-2015, 06:06 AM
I looked at the GM parts data base yesterday. I may have the non flip key done to get my G8 off the recall notice.

Ray,
I thought you declined it. No?

-Ray-
02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Ray,
I thought you declined it. No?

Didn't know you were still on the forum. I told them I would decline it. I may have the non flip key changed. The cut in the key goes 90 degrees from the current key. As long as the flip key remains original, i'm happy.

Executor999
02-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Didn't know you were still on the forum. I told them I would decline it. I may have the non flip key changed. The cut in the key goes 90 degrees from the current key. As long as the flip key remains original, i'm happy.

Yeah I have been visiting more regularly - about two months after you PM'ed me. My only project this year is to install the genuine onyx interior door handles.

I can't face giving up my flip key the way it is and since I've had no key or ignition issues since day one will decline it. Fortunately my GM dealership hasn't been bugging me about it.

pokey
03-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Any luck declining this?.. I was hoping they would give up on me but.. They called me tonight and emailed me earlier. It will go about 6 months then they try talking me into it again. Not happening, I'm not giving up my flip key.

LDM
03-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Any luck declining this?.. I was hoping they would give up on me but.. They called me tonight and emailed me earlier. It will go about 6 months then they try talking me into it again. Not happening, I'm not giving up my flip key.

They called me the other day too. I thought the postcards and letters were annoying enough.

Doc
03-04-2016, 07:03 AM
My Dealer just keeps telling me to ignore?

Shiftless
03-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I got another postcard yesterday.

-Ray-
03-05-2016, 03:18 AM
I got another postcard yesterday.

So did I.

TooManyHobbies
03-05-2016, 05:24 AM
Same here

-Ray-
03-06-2016, 02:06 AM
I also got a phone call.

captainmal
03-08-2020, 07:33 AM
I keep getting post cards in the mail. Can I just take it with the fixed key and will they give me another key?

MongosG8
03-08-2020, 01:36 PM
I keep getting post cards in the mail. Can I just take it with the fixed key and will they give me another key?

Most likely will confiscate your key fob flip key and give you a regular stationary key that looks like the spare.. If your not having issues and have the spare. Bring the spare with you and they will just check you off for the recall.

tchr49
03-11-2020, 02:58 AM
I have the notices delivered to my wastebasket along with the airbag reprogram and seat belt recall:)

MongosG8
03-11-2020, 06:01 AM
I have the notices delivered to my wastebasket along with the airbag reprogram and seat belt recall:)

LMAO!!;) Basically thats what Ive been doing

Slizzo
03-11-2020, 06:40 AM
Dumbest recall ever, IMO.