PDA

View Full Version : Safety Ratings??

96_ss_impala
02-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I'm looking of any safety (crash rating) related info on the G8 ('08 or '09).

I can't find any info anywhere on the net.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?

I really want to purchase a G8 but I can't knowingly purchase this car for my wife to drive our two little ones without any idea on its ability to survive a crash.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

(and no I'm not selling my Impala to get a G8, it more like a newer upgrade) :)

-Ray-
02-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Look at penguin's car after his crash. He survived. His car is totaled. Look in OZ, since the cars have been built there longer.

SRG963
02-26-2009, 04:10 AM
I think I read 4 stars frontal crash?

SRG963
02-26-2009, 04:23 AM
Commodore scores five-star safety rating, but only one model - www.drive.com.au (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=59407)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/19414/commodore-achieves-five-star-ancap-rating/

EC-Ryder
02-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Hmm…Wish I could help with the info, but to be perfectly honest I never even gave it a second thought when we bought ours, the safety ratings I mean. I just looked at the car slammed the doors and determined that it was a lot more solid than the usual…:spank:
And as someone already mentioned we have real world data on this board and the other board of some pretty convincing crashes with no damage to the occupants.

Moreover, I don’t pay any credit to the crash ratings as I believe they are simply a ploy of the insurance industry with the Fed acting as a stooge to justify the outrageous insurance premiums they extort from all of us…LOL!

But that’s Just me!

Cheers!

EC-Ryder

96_ss_impala
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I appreciate all of the replys.

I'm really sold on the car. I'm just waiting for the right time to buy.

I'm waiting to see if any other incentives are being offered later in the year.

Baby #2 is on the way (eta mid-Sept) so I've got a little time.

Crazy Paul
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Moreover, I don’t pay any credit to the crash ratings as I believe they are simply a ploy of the insurance industry with the Fed acting as a stooge to justify the outrageous insurance premiums they extort from all of us…LOL!
But that’s Just me!
Cheers!
EC-Ryder

No it's not just you.
Nobody can convince me that a Poverty Pack Omega (5 stars) with a pissant V6 and brakes the size of a cookie is a safer car than than any of the more expensive models.
Lets try and accelerate away from a potential impact (as I often do) with a 6 pot with 4 inch wide rubber all round.....hmmm. But some tosser has determined that a light on the dashboard makes it safer than a more mechanically capable vehicle.

-Ray-
08-20-2014, 02:17 AM
No it's not just you.
Nobody can convince me that a Poverty Pack Omega (5 stars) with a pissant V6 and brakes the size of a cookie is a safer car than than any of the more expensive models.
Lets try and accelerate away from a potential impact (as I often do) with a 6 pot with 4 inch wide rubber all round.....hmmm. But some tosser has determined that a light on the dashboard makes it safer than a more mechanically capable vehicle.

Dammit. How did I miss this. CP's tires aren't metric!

Crazy Paul
08-20-2014, 02:46 AM
I had to drop something in there you could relate to.

P.S. I drove a Frod the other day, but it was on a hoist with the wheels off the ground...does that still count?
:uhm:

LDM
08-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Well this is an old thread

Seattle09GT
08-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Hello,

I'm looking of any safety (crash rating) related info on the G8 ('08 or '09).

I can't find any info anywhere on the net.

Anyone have any ideas where to look?

I really want to purchase a G8 but I can't knowingly purchase this car for my wife to drive our two little ones without any idea on its ability to survive a crash.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

(and no I'm not selling my Impala to get a G8, it more like a newer upgrade) :)

Although the G8 would have gone through compliance testing to assure it meets federal standards, I actually don't think the NHTSA ever released a crash test rating. the IIHS never crashed one.

If you do some digging through the forums here, and Penguin's crash is referenced, there have been some horrific G8 crashes - some of them by people (not Penguin) driving very questionable (e.g. low triple digits) and they emerged unscathed, or close to it. Given the heft and bulk, and Holden's focus on safety after building one of the worst cars on the planet from a crash test stand point (some time in the early 70's they crashed a Holden into a wall during early safety rating testing and the Holden appears to enter the 8th Dimension - the car just collapses completely, in the slow motion it would almost appear it is going through the wall) I would speculate they are very darn safe - as long as you treat the skinny pedal with respect and leave the stability control on.

todds87ss
08-22-2014, 06:39 AM

you brought this post back from it's 5 year hiatus for THAT???

I have a guess as to how you might have missed that...it rhymes with PALTZHEIMERS!!!! ;)

have a lovely day, Ray!

-Ray-
08-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Lol. I caught someone reading it. So, I brought it to the top. :-)

TimothyThure
02-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Has anyone read about the crash safety ratings on the Evo X? I havent seen or heard anything about those numbers. I do know that the car has 7 airbags now, and reinforced steel however that doesnt tell me exactly how safe the car is.

Does anyone have these numbers yet?