PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my IAT heat soak problem...

G8-4-Speed
02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
My G8 kept having a problem with high IAT from the Mass Air getting heat soaked plus it was slow to cool after getting hot. :hang:Once hot, on WOT pulls in cold air, it wouldn't drop until after a couple of hard runs.

My fix was to install a seperate IAT in the bottom of the factory air box just after the inlet. Used a GM IAT sensor 12160244 and wired it in seperately. Sensor reads within 2-5 degrees of outside air temp and responds 5 times faster. One more thing I did was open the lower grill to allow cool oustside air into the lower fenderwell where the airbox pulls its air from. Tried the fresh air mod first but it didn't help much. Now on drives in 40 degree air, IAT reads 42-44 at a cruise and during WOT pulls. Even after a stop and a little heats soak, it drops from 80's to 40's within a mile or two on a easy drive. :windy: Now back to tuning with IAT's that are much more accurate.

'02 ws6
02-25-2009, 08:56 PM
So you basically did a homemade VMS HSRK? Pretty cool.

cobrakid
02-26-2009, 05:58 AM
can you post pics of "opened up lower grill" ?

thanks.

I am big into cool IATs at all times !

GTPprix
02-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Used a GM IAT sensor 12160244 and wired it in seperately. Sensor reads within 2-5 degrees of outside air temp and responds 5 times faster

That would be the same Thermistor thats already in the stock MAF ;)

cobrakid
02-26-2009, 07:47 AM
GTPrix .... you are probably right, but it reacts a lot faster due to the fact it is in the airstream, and not way up in the MAF meter.......

BSmith
02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I see that you have HPTuners, you can tune the spark retard out too.

GeorgeInNePa
02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
GTPrix .... you are probably right, but it reacts a lot faster due to the fact it is in the airstream, and not way up in the MAF meter.......

There's a DIY thread on ls1.com.au about bending the IAT sensor in the MAF up to a 45 degree angle to get it up in the air-stream and help reduce heat-soak.

G8-4-Speed
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I see that you have HPTuners, you can tune the spark retard out too.

Spark was easy, it was the Bias the IAT has that I needed to fix. The air charge was figuring hotter than what it was. Plus I was having a problem with 3 gear lean out and spark knock that it seemed to help with. We'll see.

You can bend the sensor but the Mas air is still getting heated off the radiator that causes the IAT to read high and hard to cool.

I'll get the lower grill pics this weekend. Basically I just chopped of the back of the grill, then de-burred the plastic. Looks just like the center section now.

cobrakid
02-27-2009, 06:03 AM
...cool thanks..

G8-4-Speed
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Here is the pic of the fenderwell cold air mod.

Even though the air is pulled from the left from fenderwell stock, it is mostly closed off and can pull hot air from the engine compartment. Up front where you would think it would pull some fresh air from, there is a divider at the lower grill blocking fresh air from entering the fenderwell. Looking at the overall design, it would pull in hot air from the engine compartment as easy as from outside. Well, now it is fixed and the next part is to fix the intake track between the mass air and throttle body.

I read somewhere that you can modify a GTO K&N intake pipe to work on a stock G8 setup...

GRRRR8
03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Since I have my entire front off right now, if you still have the stock air box and its unmodified, that mod gets no more air then you had. Not trying to be an ass, just did a lot of testing almost a year ago.

GeorgeInNePa
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Here is the pic of the fenderwell cold air mod.

Even though the air is pulled from the left from fenderwell stock, it is mostly closed off and can pull hot air from the engine compartment. Up front where you would think it would pull some fresh air from, there is a divider at the lower grill blocking fresh air from entering the fenderwell. Looking at the overall design, it would pull in hot air from the engine compartment as easy as from outside. Well, now it is fixed and the next part is to fix the intake track between the mass air and throttle body.

I read somewhere that you can modify a K&N intake pipe to work on a stock G8 setup...

Nice job.

I thought of doing the same thing last year, but Charlie's lower panel mod was an easier/safer mod. If you screw up the LP, no one will see it.

;)

I believe Yella Terra also makes a tube that will run from the MAF/stock air box, to the TB.

ETA:
See this thread:
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=539

It's sold, but that's what I'm talking about.

G8-4-Speed
03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Since I have my entire front off right now, if you still have the stock air box and its unmodified, that mod gets no more air then you had. Not trying to be an ass, just did a lot of testing almost a year ago.

Right, it's not about more air, it's about better air. Looking to keep cooler air at the intake more consistantly. Aftermarket CAI are a bit overratted for something stock IMO so this is for the guys that don't buy into all the hype.

Thanks George for the intake piece. That is what I am looking for if I can't get an elbow and straight piece cheeper.