PDA

View Full Version : Auto Dim Mirror

G8Smitty
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I know that there has been some discussions about replacing the G8 mirror with other mirrors that have the auto dim feature. I found a mirror off of an 06 Envoy, and it is perfect. It is exactly the same as my G8 and has the auto dim feature. No need to break it apart to put tape where the temperature should be like with the Yukon mirror.

Also, the passenger air bag light also dims with the headlights on.

Install is one screw (very easy).

Here is the link for anyone that want to know what I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330308993480&viewitem=

I highly recommend this mod.

norm8332
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
So it just plugged right in and worked? If so i'm getting one, thanks for the info.

G8Smitty
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Just plug and play.

I did have to recalibrate the compass. It was the same as the instructions in our manual.

J Wikoff
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
My 07 Trailblazer mirror seems to be the same one.

G8Smitty
02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
My 07 Trailblazer mirror seems to be the same one.
I bet that it is the same model. That is what originally searching for, but found this one instead. I know that this sounds stupid, but I can't believe how much I enjoy it.

Are you happy with your swap?

MANOFSTEEL69
02-26-2009, 03:13 AM
I bought one for mine but have yet to install it. Maybe I'll make that my weekend project....lol. If I can remember where I stuck it. :(
BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.109 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

Kermit
02-26-2009, 05:29 AM
What about the ones that have Temp. display also. I'm finding that a lot and wonder if those would work too. Where does the temp. actually display? Next to the compass? Will I have to cover it up somehow or what?

-Ray-
02-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Very nice Chris, I still need to do this. Since I haven't driven the G8 in 4 months now, I'm slacking on the mod's.

G8Smitty
02-26-2009, 06:14 AM
What about the ones that have Temp. display also. I'm finding that a lot and wonder if those would work too. Where does the temp. actually display? Next to the compass? Will I have to cover it up somehow or what?
There are instructions on the other forum on how to use that mirror. You have to open it up and put black electrical tape over the temp display. If you have questions, you might want to ask Rob Moser; I'm fairly certain that is what he is using.

Very nice Chris, I still need to do this. Since I haven't driven the G8 in 4 months now, I'm slacking on the mod's.
I've been taking mine in and out of storage as of late. We got a pretty good rain after the last sale application so I just have to keep my eye out on the hail. I'm so ready for warm weather!

J Wikoff
02-26-2009, 06:16 AM
I bet that it is the same model. That is what originally searching for, but found this one instead. I know that this sounds stupid, but I can't believe how much I enjoy it.

Are you happy with your swap?

Perfectly happy. I could only be happier it it had a back-up camera screen in it like my father in law's new Traverse.

99-LS1-SS
02-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Is there NO way to get the temperature to work? We have an "Exterior Temp" that shows on radio can it not be made to work with the mirror as well?

majesticix
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Do you happen to have a part number for this 2006 GMC Envoy Rear View Mirror by chance? I called the dealership and there are quite a few part numbers for the rear view mirrors. They also want a fortune for one...

EcoBrick Bob
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I know that there has been some discussions about replacing the G8 mirror with other mirrors that have the auto dim feature. I found a mirror off of an 06 Envoy, and it is perfect. It is exactly the same as my G8 and has the auto dim feature. No need to break it apart to put tape where the temperature should be like with the Yukon mirror.

Also, the passenger air bag light also dims with the headlights on.

Install is one screw (very easy).

Here is the link for anyone that want to know what I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330308993480&viewitem=

I highly recommend this mod.

All of the mid-sized 06-09 GM SUV's with Onstar & Compass will work. Was riding in friends 08' Ranier and noticed his mirror would have been plug and play about the same time Chris posted this.

Definitely the best mod for the money if you drive much at night!

wreckwriter
02-26-2009, 08:56 AM
The Envoy mirror totally fits? Including the plastic part that covers the wires?

J Wikoff
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
It should, the Trailblazer mirror fits the cover just fine.

G8Smitty
02-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Is there NO way to get the temperature to work? We have an "Exterior Temp" that shows on radio can it not be made to work with the mirror as well?
According to the limited research I’ve done on the interwebz, it appears that the temperature probe plugs into pins 6 & 7. The plug on our cars do not have wires in those slots. I would presume that you could wire a Gentex temperature probe in those pins slots and be good to go. I would also assume that there is one already a temperature probe in the car that could be tapped into. I do not plan to go to that effort, but it does look possible (maybe).

Do you happen to have a part number for this 2006 GMC Envoy Rear View Mirror by chance? I called the dealership and there are quite a few part numbers for the rear view mirrors. They also want a fortune for one...
I will look after work and see if I can find the part number. I ended up comparing pictures on ebay to get the one I wanted. Not too many have the passenger airbag info on the mirror like ours do.

The Envoy mirror totally fits? Including the plastic part that covers the wires?
It sure does, it actually fits better because it included a clip to hold the wire in place.

wreckwriter
02-26-2009, 10:15 AM
It sure does, it actually fits better because it included a clip to hold the wire in place.

Of course there isn't one to be had now....

EcoBrick Bob
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
On the ones I have installed out of 03' Onstar equipped large GM SUV's, the plug fit perfectly and everything worked. Did have to do the circles to make compass work, but sometimes have to do that when I go back and forth between FL and IA. As for the wire cover, the one that goes from mirror mount to headliner, you use the current G8 one which clips into the new mirror mount.

majesticix
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Found this on another board. GMPartsDirect.com has the G8 exact mirror with Auto Dim. Part Number: 15812021. Price is $185.21 plus shipping. Not quite the price you can find on eBay...but at least you know your getting the right mirror. Comes off the 07 Trailblazer from what I've read.

G8-SSV
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
price is $224 not $185

jnak
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I would think Greg@Pace could get one for you as well.

EcoBrick Bob
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
If you are willing to bid on these items, you can get them for less than $50. shipped.

May have to open up and spend 5 min with tape.... EAZY $100. Savings!

majesticix
02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
yeah. I just picked one up on ebay for $41 shipped. Has the temp so I'll have to tape it off, and it has a white dot instead of a phone for the logo on the button, but $40 vs $225 on GMPartsdirect.com ($40 shipping/handling?!?!?!), it's worth it.

J Wikoff
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
GMPD tells me S/H is where their profit comes from. There isn't any built into the price of the part.

4 DOR VTT
02-27-2009, 03:58 AM
I have seen some that have been modded and had a Valentine 1 radar remote screen hidden inside of them. Any one seen them of have a good write up of converting one?

majesticix
03-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Got mine from eBay yesterday. Came with 2 scratches in it...lovely. Gotta love those hidden gems when you buy from people. Anyone else who had to mod the mirror temp gauge have problems opening the damn thing? It was a PITA to open and the little screwdriver I used to try and pry it open make some nice marks all over the outer edge.

Of course since the mirror was already scratched, I threw caution to the wind at that point. Just curious what others used or did to easily open it up without scratching anything? I opened it up like it was a paint can, turning the screwdriver about 10 degrees or so which distorted the plastic housing with little effort.

BluYa76
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
In tried to open mine, but it seemed that it was going to break something and it was leaving some marks/scratches in the plastic. Since mine was virtually new I just gave up and the temp reading does not bother me at all.

Tim

majesticix
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Good decision...mine looks like crap. I sanded it a bit which helped a little, but still not great. Luckily I did a quick browse on eBay this morning and someone listed a brand new 09 mirror for a trailblazer without temp gauge and everything else. I snatched that up real quick. Would still like to know how people took the mirror apart without damaging it though. I may play around with the one I bought last week since it is a junker at this point.

BluYa76
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
What I don't understand is why GM left this option out on a car that sits low and is constantly blinded by suv's and trucks. :wacko:

BigV8
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM

I got an 06 trailblazer mirror out of a junkyard for $30, I started to do the tape thing but when calibrating the compass found out the zone #'s display there. If you do not drive cross country alot that would not be a problem,I just left mine displaying "oc"

MRM
03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Of these that are in other cars, which ones have auto dim, passenger airbag display, OnStar, and compass without the temp? I've been looking and just about everyone I have seen is missing one of those options or has all of them with the temp. I don't want to do any modifying. I want to plug it and go.

Chewy
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Just plug and play.

I did have to recalibrate the compass. It was the same as the instructions in our manual.

I did this in a round about... People must have thought me crazy...:)

Mines out of a 2004 Silverado but I had to cover the temp gauge. It's really easy to do as well. Plug and play after that and it dims the airbag light as well.

JerzeyGT
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I can get a mirror from a 05 trailblazer,It looks like it will work... I have to double check if the temp is displayed also... Do all Gm truck mirrors have auto dim?

JerzeyGT
03-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Is it safe to assume that if the mirror has the adjustment knob on the bottom, It isnt an auto dim mirror?????? Any input would be great, the window is closing on the availabilty of this mirror and I dont want to remove my mirror just to install the same exact one(no auto dim) LOL

G8Smitty
03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Is it safe to assume that if the mirror has the adjustment knob on the bottom, It isnt an auto dim mirror?????? Any input would be great, the window is closing on the availabilty of this mirror and I dont want to remove my mirror just to install the same exact one(no auto dim) LOL
None of the auto-dim mirrors that I have seen have the knob at the bottom. I would say if the knob is at the bottom, then it is probably not an auto-dim.

2 GTOs
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I love this forum. For the past 2 weeks I've been talking into that little knob on the bottom of the mirror thinking it was the Onstar Mic.

headhound
09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Friends,

Has anyone else bought the 15812021 from GMPartsDirect? Any comments positive or negative? Thanks!

DaMaine1
09-18-2009, 05:20 PM
I have that mirror. I also bought it from GMpartsdirect. It is a direct replacement for the factory G8 mirror with the addition to auto dim. All the Onstar buttons work as before the only difference is the N button is replaced with a Power button, but it still does the same function. The compass display is a bit larger than the OEM mirror and to me the passenger air bag indicator is not as bright. Here is a mug shot for you.

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w338/DaMaine1/MY%20GXP/Picture048.jpg

OmahaGTP
09-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I have that mirror. I also bought it from GMpartsdirect. It is a direct replacement for the factory G8 mirror with the addition to auto dim. All the Onstar buttons work as before the only difference is the N button is replaced with a Power button, but it still does the same function. The compass display is a bit larger than the OEM mirror and to me the passenger air bag indicator is not as bright. Here is a mug shot for you.

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w338/DaMaine1/MY%20GXP/Picture048.jpg

So, just to clarify before I spend $190, just plug it in, and it's good to go?

Panzer Leader
09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Any chance of a picture without any background light with just the mirror displays showing? Have to check mind with regard to the N button.

GTPprix
09-19-2009, 04:22 AM
So, just to clarify before I spend $190, just plug it in, and it's good to go?

Yup if you get them from us at Sellers Auto Sport you actually get real pricing too none of the GM parts direct scammage LOL

headhound
09-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Chris,

How can we contact you? Is there a web site? How much do you charge for the mirror? Thanks!

Panzer Leader
09-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Try Sellers Auto Sport.com

616 of 933
10-05-2009, 05:35 AM
can the auto dim mirror glass be put in the stock mirror and us the auto dim and keep the N button?

Omega
10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
can the auto dim mirror glass be put in the stock mirror and us the auto dim and keep the N button?

I would think that it would be easier to just swap the buttons than the glass.

headhound
11-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Had my autodimming from GM in for three weeks. Very easy installation and the autodimming is quite responsive. Nice add on for sure.

Tripower
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I see a wiring harness and a single black wire in the back of the stock mirror. At first glance it looks like the single wire is not attached via removable connector to the mirror. (1) Am I correct in thing this? and (2) Do the autodim mirrors accomodate the second wire?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of the rear of the mirror showing the harness on the right and the single wire on the left.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/tripower66/G8/DSCN2129.jpg

kevinm0131
12-26-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm lookin for an answer to this too!

hartigan85
12-26-2010, 08:15 PM
The single black wire on the left goes to a box near the window which contains a chip that controls the compass. As long as the auto-dim mirror you buy has the compass then it will come with the black wire already attached. I opted for one without a compass so I only have the mirror harness. Hope this makes sense.

hartigan85
12-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Also if you are not concerned with the compass like i wasn't get an auto-dim off ebay. I paid $30 to get one from a wrecked Cadillac CTS, still has the passenger airbag light as well and a lot cheaper then anywhere else i have looked. The compass in my opinion isn't worth the extra $140

J Wikoff
12-26-2010, 10:32 PM
I was in a '10 DTS a couple weeks ago. It had a compass autodim mirror that looked just like ours, but had no passenger airbag light. It also seemed to dim more than the Trailblazer mirror I have. If you want more dimming and don't care for the airbag light, it might be worth a look.

kevinm0131
12-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanx guys

J Wikoff
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Edit above. It was a DTS.

jboogie
12-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Do any GM mirrors have the garage door opener buttons?

kevinm0131
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
OK, bought one off ebay from an 07 trailblazer and everything works fine. One problem, the little red light is on on the right hand side. Called onstar and they said it was an blue tooth antennae problem. I have checked everything and all works, blue tooth, onstar and briefly onstar emergency. Not sure if disconnecting it caused that or if i hit the emergency button as I was hanging it. Even tried it inside my garage and all seemed good. I had to calibrate the compass but that's no biggie.
Any ideas?
Thanx!

Thanx,
Kevin

TurboMike
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Did you make sure the antenna was plugged in properly on the onstar box and didnt get jiggled loose? Could be a coinkydink it happened when you did the mirror.

kevinm0131
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Did you make sure the antenna was plugged in properly on the onstar box and didnt get jiggled loose? Could be a coinkydink it happened when you did the mirror.

I'll check it, all onstar and blue tooth work fine though, but that is a good idea.

Thanx

ianken
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
GMPD tells me S/H is where their profit comes from. There isn't any built into the price of the part.

That explains the $45 shipping. Yowza.

Edit: LOL comparing the GMPD cost+shipping to other online shops results in a pretty close spread. It's obvious GMPD is trying to lure folks in with deceptively low prices and make it up in bogus shipping charges. No business from me.

BAMAGXP
05-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Wonder if there is a way to get the same rear view my wife has in the new 2011 Enclave that has the built in LCD for the backup camera. Then totally override autoswitching and all that crap for the LCD on the radio...Anyone thought of trying it?

It's A G8!
05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Wonder if there is a way to get the same rear view my wife has in the new 2011 Enclave that has the built in LCD for the backup camera. Then totally override autoswitching and all that crap for the LCD on the radio...Anyone thought of trying it?

Look under the electronic section under rear view mirror with a twist. http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=24540

BAMAGXP
05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Got ya... I wouldnt expect anything less from VegasNate.. LOL

tchr49
12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I just picked up a mirror from 03-09 Cadillac Ats with auto dim, compass and on star. The wedge that mounts to the windshield is different, and there's a small white pin connector that comes out of the new mirror. Anyone run into this problem and know how to solve it?

kevinm0131
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't think that one will work as a plug and play replacement. I think only the '06-'09 GM SUV's work as direct replacement without other work, ie: Trailblazer, Envoy,Rainier, 97X.
Merry Christmas!
I just picked up a mirror from 03-09 Cadillac Ats with auto dim, compass and on star. The wedge that mounts to the windshield is different, and there's a small white pin connector that comes out of the new mirror. Anyone run into this problem and know how to solve it?

jers09gt
12-24-2011, 05:16 AM
I used one from an 09 Malibu. Works perfectly and does not have the airbag status on it.

kevinm0131
12-24-2011, 08:32 AM
What I should have said is that the '06-09 GM SUV Mirrors are the only ones that are plug & play AND retain all stock functions. There are many that will work but either do not have all functions or feature functions such as temp that will not work on the G8
I used one from an 09 Malibu. Works perfectly and does not have the airbag status on it.

tchr49
12-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for your input-greatly appreciated. I really don't mind the airbag message, that's why I picked up the one from the Cadillac. Guy is more than willing to swap it out, so knowing what options there are helps. I can live without the airbag message, but would like to keep compass.
I've seen a bunch with map lights-anyone ever get them to work?

LDM
12-24-2011, 08:53 AM
After a lot of searching, I got one of those GM SUV mirrors off of eBay, specifically from an '07 Saab 9-7x. All the same functions as the original, plus the auto-dim feature. One of the most useful mods I've done.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/DSC_0668.jpg

Monty
12-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I bought mine from GM Parts Direct about 2 years ago. I wouldn't recommend it now at that price but if you are looking for one the part number is 15812021. This is an auto dimming mirror.

tbully
03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Digging up an old one...sorry.

Anyone having any luck with eBay for these lately? I purchased a Gentex 261 last week. I grabbed it for $50 but it's missing the airbag light. Everything else looks good. (has compass but no temp, mounting, etc) It looks like it came from an '06 Malibu.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find the exact unit.

Compass Only (no temp)
Air Bag
Onstar
Autodim (of course)

I'm about ready to break down and just buy a new one! :-)

p.s. I'll probably sell this one here once I make sure it's in working condition. It looks great.....just missing the air bag light...

p.s.s. I wonder if I can pull the glass out of my existing G8 mirror where the airbag light is and do a swap. (not quite sure how to pull these mirrors apart yet.

Modhauler
04-01-2012, 03:30 AM
There are a few on there but have little for description or photos. Might want to recheck and request some photos to verify auto dim (no manual tab). Some seem high in price but allow offers. I just bought one last week but haven't tried it yet since car is still in the garage. Good luck.

TurboMike
04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
One day I vow to have temp in my mirror. Just too lazy to run the thermo to the grill.

I hate pushing the button and losing my HVAC display to the temp.

TxNessie84
02-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Do all G8s have the second wire? I bought an auto-dim mirror on ebay for a 2007 Trailblazer and it has the spot for the harness but no second wire.

lovellsG8
02-06-2014, 02:08 AM
my 08 only had the main plug. if i see my cousin this weekend ill look at his 09 and see if his is different

jkaetz
02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Do all G8s have the second wire? I bought an auto-dim mirror on ebay for a 2007 Trailblazer and it has the spot for the harness but no second wire.I believe the "second wire" is the compass module and comes off with the mirror. Just unplug the main harness, unscrew the locking screw, and remove the mirror. That was how mine worked.

Chewy
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
^^^Agreed^^^

I swapped mine from the GT to the GXP before selling it and this is how it was. It's pretty much the simplest mod out there.

TxNessie84
02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I believe the "second wire" is the compass module and comes off with the mirror. Just unplug the main harness, unscrew the locking screw, and remove the mirror. That was how mine worked.

Thanks, you were correct. 2nd wire came off with the mirror and new one went right on.