PDA

View Full Version : ECM/TCM tunes & The Warranty

Blackdevil77
08-20-2008, 02:39 AM
So i was at my local car show again today and some guy comes over and we get into a conversation about my G8. I tell him I want to get a tune for it and he told me that now gm won't take the mod's anymore. He said now, before they do anything to your car if something happens, they check the ECM/TCM to see if it was flashed or they flash it or something like that. if something was done, they don't fix the car, regardless of what the problem is or if it was caused by the tune or not. I then told them about Vector's stealth tune. He said, yeah he knows about it and he said they have a way around it. So basically, he said if the ECM/TCM settings have been tampered with, they WILL find out and it will completely void your warranty. I am now scared :(

GTPprix
08-20-2008, 03:27 AM
This is false, thats the "doomsday" post people were talking about. GM will NOT pay an extra .25-.4 (including lookup time) an hour labor on every job to check every car, its not going to happen. As far as our stealth tune goes, the ONLY way the dealer has to check for Aftermarket calibrations is the CVN's ours match which makes that pretty much case closed. If something changes we'll adapt the tune but this stuff hasnt changed in years, we arent worried you shouldnt be either

This has been going around for months, its no big deal.

EC-Ryder
08-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Dealt with dealers a great deal to know both them and the techs are under the gun time wise, so every minute counts a great deal.

If U think about it and multiply a minute times a thousand and only come up with .5% mod, and then have to face a possible challenge and bad rep, it just doesn't seem worth it...Not even to the overpaid bookkeepers.

Just my :twocents:

Cheers!

Chewy
08-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Hell I think GM EXPECTS people to mod this things to a point.:eyeroll:

-Ray-
08-20-2008, 05:59 AM
So i was at my local car show again today and some guy comes over and we get into a conversation about my G8. I tell him I want to get a tune for it and he told me that now gm won't take the mod's anymore. He said now, before they do anything to your car if something happens, they check the ECM/TCM to see if it was flashed or they flash it or something like that. if something was done, they don't fix the car, regardless of what the problem is or if it was caused by the tune or not. I then told them about Vector's stealth tune. He said, yeah he knows about it and he said they have a way around it. So basically, he said if the ECM/TCM settings have been tampered with, they WILL find out and it will completely void your warranty. I am now scared :(

You've been reading the "other" board. This has been gone over many times. I think you would be better off with a stock G8. I'm just heading off the drama that was started between 2 tuners on the other board.
Either pick a tuner and get it done, or let it go. I say this in the friendliest way.

Blackdevil77
08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
You've been reading the "other" board. This has been gone over many times. I think you would be better off with a stock G8. I'm just heading off the drama that was started between 2 tuners on the other board.
Either pick a tuner and get it done, or let it go. I say this in the friendliest way.

I understand but id like to be sure before I go ahead and do anything. No harm in double checking especially with "updated info." Whether i get the tune or not depended on this.

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Get the tune, enjoy the car. The tune will have nothing to do with any failures your car will have.

EcoBrick Bob
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY!!!

If GM say NOOOOO!!!!

You really beat the crap outta and enjoyed your G8!

Life is GOOD!

OR.......:flash: (note: weclome to:....ART)

(If in doubt... get a second ECM like I did and make sure the original is in the car when you take it to the (being REALLY PARANOID) dealer....

PANICED!!!!

RRM

'02 ws6
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm so glad that I own my own HP Tuners. Waiting for the mods to go on, so I can buy the credits, and have my guy save my stock tune and his tune in separate .bin files. Then when I need to go to the dealer, voila, pull the switcheroo via my laptop!

arthansen
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Doesn't work like that. They can now tell if the VCM has been changed then changed back. It logs all changes so unless you do like Rob Moser and keep the original stock and flash a different VCM, they will know.

wreckwriter
09-17-2008, 02:27 PM
So many scare tactics and urban legends these days. You know how I see it? It's MY fuckin car, if I want to paint it purple and smear dogshit all over the hood I will. If I want to beef the hell out of my engine I will do that too. If it craps out I'll argue with them then. If I lose, I'll put an Ls7 in it.

GTPprix
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Doesn't work like that. They can now tell if the VCM has been changed then changed back. It logs all changes so unless you do like Rob Moser and keep the original stock and flash a different VCM, they will know.

Eh not really but ok ;) Thats only for the Diesel controllers and we can fix that as well (oops did I say that? LOL)

arthansen
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Wreckwriter, I could not agree more.

I think the main point is that they can only refuse warranty work if the modification caused the failure. If you drop in an LS7 and put drag radials on then proceed to blow the rear end, they wont cover it.

However, if you add a CAI kit and the windshield wipers stop working, they will fix it.

If you want to play, be ready to pay.

grt08g8
09-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Mario, I've been debating the same as you, but over the past couple of weeks I've had a chace to talk with a cuople of dealers near me and or rather techs at the dealerships, wwho by the way were both tuners themselves and I got similar stories from both. they both told me that since the MAGNUSSON ACT lookitup, was passed, all of the big3 are pretty damn liberal with there warranties. Charlie may also have some input on the magnusson act. We as consumers aren't supposed to be privvy to this info. :shutup: