PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a leaf blower to dry?

EC-Ryder
08-19-2008, 07:10 PM
After hand washing my G8 I use m\f towels to dry, but I’ve heard good comments from some regular folk that say they have used leaf blower to dry with good results.

But I’d like to hear from more dedicated enthusiast on the matter before I can get my happy A$$ to try it. :butt:

:beer3:

Cheers!

GRRRR8
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
For 5 years now EC. Only way to minimze fine scratches in the clear coat. I bought a Toro 230mph elec. for $50 at Home Depot. I keep the car wet, always in the shade, blow from top to bottom and if I want to make the paint really pop, I spray detail when Im done. Wash and Dry = 25-35 minutes and its perfect. No more water trails!

EC-Ryder
08-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Damm! :deadhorse:

Now i have to get my A$$ to try something :new3:

Cheers!

GRRRR8
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
You asked!

MANOFSTEEL69
08-20-2008, 12:51 AM
:tigger: Lol! Just thinking about the look that would be on the wifes face if she saw me using a leaf blower on the car.......:hmm:It's funny she gives me so much shit about how I treat my car......Yet she's the one freaking out about taking it to Joliet next week. I think it has something to do with the G8 being ranked in the easiest to get laid car dept.! :screw:

GTPprix
08-20-2008, 03:31 AM
I do, I think my neighbors think I'm crazy ;)

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 05:37 AM

Yeah, I have had quite a few stares while drying. I always think, "dont hate because you didnt think of it." LOL

-Ray-
08-20-2008, 05:48 AM

and we don't? LOL

GTPprix
08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
and we don't? LOL

Eh... good point... back to my corner LOL

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 08:04 AM
LOL! I just cant imagine you sitting in the corner Chris. We are too much
alike!

EC-Ryder
08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
LMAO!

I think the neighbors may be contributing to my hesitation also.

But also they say that hope is eternal and I’m an eternal optimist and I I've been hoping I wouldn’t have to change my old ways.

As they say old habits are hard to change! LOL!

But that's just me!

Cheers!

Livetosurf
08-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Why dry at all. If I am spending time drying my ride, then I have less time to surf. Here is my drying process.

The inexpensive version:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/37244.do?code=FROOGLE

My Choice:
http://www.tastefullydriven.com/CRSpotless-M31/Mobile-Water-De-ionizer-P318/m/

:woohoo:

dukeofpg
07-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I use the Mr Clean wash, then hit it with the blower and no towels to wash, no runs, no drips, no errors. Happy Car

G8addict
07-13-2009, 05:57 AM
After hand washing my G8 I use m\f towels to dry, but I’ve heard good comments from some regular folk that say they have used leaf blower to dry with good results.

But I’d like to hear from more dedicated enthusiast on the matter before I can get my happy A$$ to try it. :butt:

:beer3:

Cheers!

I do it, I guess its the mexican in me! :)

OH wait, I'm half American, half Vietnamese! :oops:

BlueJacket
07-13-2009, 06:01 AM
I do it too, this car holds to much water not to.

Chocolate
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
I give my truck, car and bikes a HUMMER after every bath.

JoeSyko
07-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Just started using the leaf blower to dry my car. Used it this weekend in fact. Other than I need to get a leaf blower that is a bit less cumbersome, it works like a charm.

jeppsG8
07-13-2009, 08:39 AM
I usually hit it the mirrors, window trim, side & hood vents, and wheels with the blower then hand dry the rest. Neighbors really think I'm a freak, but they thought that long before the G8 came along.

AUGAH
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
I use a Metro Air Force Blaster Motorcycle Blower for the scoot and have started using it on the car, 4hp and blows like !!!! A little bit more expensive than a leaf blower, but works like a champ.

christiancoach
07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Can someone suggest a small hand held one? My leaf blower is a monster and I can't imagine using it on my car.

Devilish34
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll continue to use my microfiber towels and Meguiar's quick detailer... I've mocked my neighbor for to may years and his leaf blower drying to go that route... It probably takes about the same time as a LB just more work.

Horn09
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I usually hit it the mirrors, window trim, side & hood vents, and wheels with the blower then hand dry the rest.

same thing I do.

TurboMatt
07-14-2009, 08:22 AM
I usually hit it the mirrors, window trim, side & hood vents, and wheels with the blower then hand dry the rest. Neighbors really think I'm a freak, but they thought that long before the G8 came along.

This is pretty much what I do. Then after wiping down the exterior, I use the same MF towel to wipe down the door and trunk jambs.

kjmccart
07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I have had quite a few stares while drying. I always think, "dont hate because you didnt think of it." LOL

I can't even believe this is a question, lol.

srod54321
07-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Yep - I do it. Great tip from Adam's. However my neighbors probably also think I'm crazy. Though, I'm sure I will see someone else stealing that trick soon though... lol.
Btw - getting the water out of the honeycomb parts and in the wheel lugs is impossible without the blower-- that's #1 reason to use it!

kjmccart
07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Yep - I do it. Great tip from Adam's. However my neighbors probably also think I'm crazy. Though, I'm sure I will see someone else stealing that trick soon though... lol.
Btw - getting the water out of the honeycomb parts and in the wheel lugs is impossible without the blower-- that's #1 reason to use it!

I use my small hand held air compressor! I originally purchased this to power my nail gun for installing moldings in my new house. It has a small 2-gallon tank & fills up to 100psi. With my rubber nosed air gun attachment It works wonders on the two door mirrors, front grill & wheel lugs.

It's small, light and very quiet!

rclinton
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Just started using the leaf blower to dry my car. Used it this weekend in fact. Other than I need to get a leaf blower that is a bit less cumbersome, it works like a charm.

I have a Ridgid shop vac that the motor unclips for use as a blower. Nice set up.

tacwhoc
07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
My detailer does this..mann no more water trails!! Awesome!!!!!!!!

MoonPie
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM
just finished washing up the G8 for the 3M clear bra installation tomorrow, the leaf blower idea was awesome, only took me about 5-10 minutes to dry completely...awesome!

GuyLeDrew
08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I certainly do! Started using mine on my Gold Wing motorcycle, and liked the result so much I began using it on the cars. The trick is to either start drying it very quickly after washing, or spray a coat of water all over the car just before you start the blower up. Less spots that way...

And of course the neighbors all though I was nuts! They're used to seeing me do it now, though, and can't argue with the results

Panzer Leader
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
RYOBI makes a blower than runs on an 18 volt battery pack. No cords, no tripping, no shocking. Works real well. Cannot understand why people would think this strange when commercial car washes do this all the time. And since my wife will not let me install blowers over the garage doors.

Ben@Adams
08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
RYOBI makes a blower than runs on an 18 volt battery pack. No cords, no tripping, no shocking. Works real well. Cannot understand why people would think this strange when commercial car washes do this all the time. And since my wife will not let me install blowers over the garage doors.

Wives never understand :spank:

dandragonrage
08-07-2009, 08:34 AM
microfiber towels. They do everything Shamwow CLAIMS to.

I got the following from ChemicalGuys: MONSTER MICROFIBER EXTREME THICKNESS Microfiber Towel W/Black Silk Edges [16x16] (3 Pack)

You don't need to apply any downward pressure other than gravity, so I would say it's quite safe.

2StepsAhead
08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Chemical Guys also sells a mini-blower, very affordable, rubber tip so you dont worry about scratching something, very maneuverable.