PDA

View Full Version : tranny question

TurboSS
02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
hey guys, i'm new to the G8 world as i havent sealed the deal on one as of yet, so please forgive me if this seems stupid.
when i test drove one the other day i looked for this sport mode for the tranny. i keep reading that it has auto mode, sport mode and then manual mode. how do you change between the two and what are the differences with them. thank guys

randy

PantherGTBlack
02-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Good question, Randy. When the car is in "D" that is regular automatic. Slap the shifter to the right will put the car in Sport mode, "S", which is still an auto but will hold gears whilst in curves/turning so you can exit a corner faster. Also, the tranny is more willing to downshift to get in the powerband in "S". Once the shifter is in "S", tapping it forward or back will put in "M" or manumatic mode. This will allow you to upshift or downshift the car at your will. When downshifting in "M" the car will blip the throttle to match up the revs for the next lower gear, this gets addicting when you have an exhaust.

Do note: AFM or Active Fuel Management (4-cylinder mode) remains active in "D" and "S". In "S" it is not as willing to go into AFM per what I have noticed. While the tranny is in "M" AFM is completely deactivated and will not go into 4-cylinder mode.

Hope this helps!

PantherGTBlack
02-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Sounds like the salesman you were dealing with doesn't know squat about the car if he didn't explain that to you.

p71
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a salesman...

seriously most of them know little about there low volume products. Hell I knew little about Macs when worked for CompUSA.

cobrakid
02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
....until you get a tune, they all suck.

LOL

gearhead455
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Hmm.... I have yet to try this, I only drove the car last Sat. when I picked it up. We have snow now so I'll try it out in a week or so.