PDA

View Full Version : Some noob questions about converters.

G8GT594
02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes, i have some rather noob questions to ask....

Ive never been in a car with a stall. I was doing some research about them and i just want to know does it really wake up the car as much as some are saying? Any downsides? Other then mileage and tires...:nah: If i do go this route is there anything i should worry about breaking?

Thanks.

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes it is noticable. Usually .2-.5 drop in ET, but that is if it hooks. A little more of a shock to the trans and axles, but with your cam I would put 2800-3200. If you are gonna do a Maggie 2800, if not and you will do heads and a bigger cam, 3600.

Chameleon T/A
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Gas mileage at cruising speed will remain unchanged since the converter will "lock" just as it does with the factory converter. And yes, it will wake the car up when you hit the throttle! Best mod you can do for an automatic IMO!

Mike P
02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes, i have some rather noob questions to ask....

Ive never been in a car with a stall. I was doing some research about them and i just want to know does it really wake up the car as much as some are saying? Any downsides? Other then mileage and tires...:nah: If i do go this route is there anything i should worry about breaking?

Thanks.

I would wait until you drive it at the track before you do the Torque Converter. Don't get me wrong, I really like mine, but I do kinda miss the better gas mileage I was getting before I did mine.

And Paul, you can totally drive my car so you can feel what a Torque Converter drives like.

I still gotta give you a call sometime.

G8GT594
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes it is noticable. Usually .2-.5 drop in ET, but that is if it hooks. A little more of a shock to the trans and axles, but with your cam I would put 2800-3200. If you are gonna do a Maggie 2800, if not and you will do heads and a bigger cam, 3600.

Thanks for the info, a bigger cam and heads are on the table. Im tossing the thought around with the maggie. I just keep hearing so much good things about it that is makes me want to pull the trigger and get one. I'm just not so sure i want all the power and do fuel system upgrades and all the other supporting mods. So i should probably just do 3600? How would that be with the cam i have right now? Just waiting for my tax return...:devil:

I would wait until you drive it at the track before you do the Torque Converter. Don't get me wrong, I really like mine, but I do kinda miss the better gas mileage I was getting before I did mine.

And Paul, you can totally drive my car so you can feel what a Torque Converter drives like.

I still gotta give you a call sometime.

Ya Mike, you still have my number?

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 07:49 PM
It will work with what you have.

G8GT594
02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
It will work with what you have.

How is manual mode with a converter?

VegasNate
02-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm probably putting a Yanks 3200 converter in next month. I'm going to do the Maggie this fall(hopefully). I'm just trying to keep up with you really!

-Ray-
02-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Everything you wanted to know about Torque Converters but were afraid to ask.
Clicky! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter)

G8GT594
02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Everything you wanted to know about Torque Converters but were afraid to ask.
Clicky! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter)

Good info. Thanks Ray.

Can someone tell me how it performs in manual shift mode?

GRRRR8
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
How is manual mode with a converter?

No different then any other mode. 1-2 shift you better have you A game working so you dont hit the limiter and lose time!

UGotSmkd
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Your stall speed will be critical to what you have done or plan on doing. Too high of a stall and you will need more throttle just to get going from a light. My 3000 stall might be too high on my Mustang, but once I nail it, it is quick.