PDA

View Full Version : Flashing airbag light, help!

Anothersteveg
04-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi All. So now I've had the car a little over a month. The passenger airbag light in the rear view mirror is on steady, and a flashing airbag light in the main instrument cluster flashes continually. I've got it in the dealer to asses this (also the ticking I'm hearing on start but that's another thread).

They called today and said I need a new sensor. I've read some old threads and am a bit confused. I've read where guys are buying one second hand and replacing, but it sounds like all of those were steady on lights.

I read another thread where someone had a flashing light, and all it required was a reprogram. When I mentioned this to the service adviser, he didn't seem to get what I was talking about. They want 800 for the sensor, plus labor.

So where do I go? Push them on the reprogram, or go the sensor replacement route?

Thanks!

Anothersteveg
04-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Forgot to mention, they did say the recall had been completed already.

BuildItYourSelf
04-15-2014, 06:54 PM
The recall was just a change in deployment timing or something.
The sensors fail a lot on the older g8s.
Has the car ever been I'm a crash?
If so then the modual may need a hard reset.
If it had not. Replace the sensor.
There $300 from Greg. FYI
Used can be swapped no problem.
If you need the hard reset. Pull it out send it off and reinstall it then back to the dealer for a sync.

Mine was in a crash so I'm trying the $50 reset first.

Hope this helped.

Anothersteveg
04-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Ok thanks. No, it has not been crashed. So I need to get the replacement, and after install take it up and have them reprogram. Will both a new sensor and a used replacement require a trip back to the dealer to have it reprogrammed? Neither are plug and play?

Thank you!

BuildItYourSelf
04-15-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure. I've herd both. But I think its part of the system so it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer. I've tried for a long wile to find a used one. Good luck

Kermit
04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Did they tell you the code that popped up? I was able to fix mine by replacing the passenger module with a used one. I did not have to get the dealer involved at all because my local club has a tech 2. If you don't have access to a tech 2, then you will have to see the dealer to "rezero" the module.

It's A G8!
04-16-2014, 05:52 PM
I just bought mine this week. I plan to install it myself and see if anyone here in houston has a tech 2.

TailG8er
04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Myairbags.com might be able to help. They are on Ebay also.

The reset Airbag Modules, rebuild seatbelts and all things airbag related. I have used them a few times for module resets.

Anothersteveg
04-17-2014, 05:20 AM
Great! Thanks for the help. I don't have the code (yet). Going to pick it up today and will get it from them.

GM Customer Service
04-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Hi All. So now I've had the car a little over a month. The passenger airbag light in the rear view mirror is on steady, and a flashing airbag light in the main instrument cluster flashes continually. I've got it in the dealer to asses this (also the ticking I'm hearing on start but that's another thread).

They called today and said I need a new sensor. I've read some old threads and am a bit confused. I've read where guys are buying one second hand and replacing, but it sounds like all of those were steady on lights.

I read another thread where someone had a flashing light, and all it required was a reprogram. When I mentioned this to the service adviser, he didn't seem to get what I was talking about. They want 800 for the sensor, plus labor.

So where do I go? Push them on the reprogram, or go the sensor replacement route?

Thanks!
Hello Anothersteveg,

I apologize that your passenger airbag light is currently on. I see that you have worked with a dealership regarding this and that they stated you needed a new sensor. If you would like me to reach out to the dealership and speak with them further about this, please feel free to private message me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership that you are currently working with. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Gregory W.
GM Customer Care

It's A G8!
05-23-2014, 03:46 PM
I finally replace my airbag module today. Took it to the dealer and they rezoned it or something to that effect. FINALLY!!!!! No more dinging at start up!LOL

JAM
05-24-2014, 07:36 AM
What did the dealer charge you to program your module?

JAM

It's A G8!
05-24-2014, 06:39 PM
What did the dealer charge you to program your module?

JAM