PDA

View Full Version : Installed My GPS

xfactor
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I was finally able to take a few pictures of my GPS install. Thanks to AttorneyGuy, I pretty much copied him. I really like the fact that I don't have to turn it on or off since the 12VDC outlet is keyed. Here is his link:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2699&highlight=navigation

However, I purchased the 255W and it is a wider screen that posed some problems. I was not able to recess it as much so it is at a different angle.

I changed the wiring a little. Instead of hard wiring it into the back of the 12VDC outlet I hard wired another 12VDC female outlet ($5 at any electronics store) into the back of it. So, in the area behind the Air Cond. controls there is a hidden outlet that I just plug the power cord into. By the way, the brown wire is the positive and the black is the neutral.

Since my GPS is at a different angle I had to use a power cord with a straight connector on the back of the GPS (I had one from an old Motorola Razor that I used). The cord that came with the GPS has a 90-degree connector that interferes with the bottom the way I have it mounted.

Speaking of mounting. I fabricated this mount from a 2" wide piece of 2024-T3 .040" Aluminum. I used super Velcro to hold everything in place. I cleaned everything with Alcohol before installing any of the adhesive backed Velcro. I also used Velcro loop side where the GPS contacts the car just to protect the car in case I ever wanted to remove it.

You might just want to look at the pictures a little closer. I purchased this GPS just after getting my GXP. I work about 6 miles from Bristol Motor Speed Way and me and one of the guys that work for me went around the track the other day and you can see the results!

I hope this thread helps anyone that wants to do something similar.

X

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Nice work.

xfactor
02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Opps, forgot the most important picture. Look again.

X

norm8332
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
178 max speed! lol

GT G8
02-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Nice work. This is probably what I will end up doing.

......Unless the 2010 G8 GT has a Navi option. :)

99-LS1-SS
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks good x!

xfactor
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
178 max speed! lol

And its not photoshop!

4 DOR VTT
02-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Just wondering if the NAV is tough to see with such a low mount?

I was considering fabbing up something so I could use the top cubby. I may be looking for a second upper cover so I can cut and mold some type of NAV Screen holder. I just would want it to look factory.. Any ideas?

G8GT594
02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Well done! I'm think about doing the same thing with my unit. Does yours have a 3 second delay?

xfactor
02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
No, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I too thought that it might be to low when I looked at the thread from AttorneyGuy but after installing it I like it. I have had several people look at it and they too liked it. Some thought it was factory.

3 second delay?? When I turn the car on it goes thru it's boot cycle (this takes almost a minute, by that time I am out of the garage down the neighborhood and on the street) and when I turn the car off it gives me the "turning power off in 30 seconds" message on it.

X