PDA

View Full Version : MAF Screen

'02 ws6
02-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Please tell me that nobody on here has been removing, or plans to remove their MAF screen.

I'll ask away and hope there's not another, "Gained 9rwhp from removing the screen!" as there are in other places on the interweb.

If not, and for future reference, leave it alone, screen and all. Don't buy an SLP, Granatelli, Jet, nothing. Stock!

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
It has been done, BUT it must have the MAF tables recalibrated. It does not mean there will be a gain either. If you move the MAF, you will be doing the same thing having to tune the MAF tables. I made the post and wont say it was right. I will say they might watch how they address me in a PM or other form of communication though.

'02 ws6
02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Well it opened up my eyes to much more than that, but that's not the can-o-worms I'm trying to open up in this thread. Just taking a precautionary measure to all us grrrr8 folks to leave it be......unless you're moving it for an OTRCAI. Then move away!

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
There is no point in removing it unless its proven that it needs to be. Which will take a LOT more HP then most will have.

GeorgeInNePa
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Removing the screen is just like any other mod. It has trade-offs.

You must do supporting mods. People forget that part. There must be adjustments to the tune.

You re-tune for headers, right?

If you re-move the screen, you will need to do some computer work.

It might not be worth it for most people.

'02 ws6
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Well we in the fbody crowd had a period of time ...I'd say 00,01, and resurgance in 03, 04 when the 85mm were being mass produced, where EVERY day there was a new thread on removing it and not removing it. As well as the SLP's and other name brands. I can't tell you the aftermath of these events. There were soon constant threads of trouble codes, rough idle, acceleration, etc. Once replaced w/ stock units the problems dissipated.

The stock units withstood the test of time, as well as the notion that the stock units held 550hp.

The current norm is a lateral move to the GM 85mm maf, which cars 600+rwhp have utilized. No resistor chip removal like you have to do w/ the SLP 85s. Only table remapping. The summits, granatellis, and jets were proven to be useless. Just trying to nip the topic in the butt before we have an MAF "outbreak".

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 02:37 PM
LOL! Yeah, that would not be a good thing!

MANOFSTEEL69
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
This topic just doesn't die does it?! Lol! In my case....A 1 HP tuned gain. Possibly better if we tuned in motion, maybe not. But for the most part....Leave it alone people! ;)

Mike@NewEra
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
And he has an OTR CAI, so leave it in even if you have an OTR CAI also.

'02 ws6
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
This topic just doesn't die does it?! Lol! In my case....A 1 HP tuned gain. Possibly better if we tuned in motion, maybe not. But for the most part....Leave it alone people! ;)

Well it hasn't been alive yet in here, so I'm trying to avoid an onslaught of questions regarding it. Call it a precautionary measure to save site bandwidth. :)

MANOFSTEEL69
02-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Oh we've been here done that....lol! There's a sticky about it.
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1297

MANOFSTEEL69
02-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Not to mention a retarded arguement on my part with Charlie, lol. Mainly a miscommunication on what we were trying to say to each other. A good reason to take posts with a grain of salt. :)

Gman
02-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Kirk @ VMS said they have removed it w/a tune and found 3whp.

Maybe he could share his findings...

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 04:24 PM

It was on a modded car over 450RWHP.

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Not to mention a retarded arguement on my part with Charlie, lol. Mainly a miscommunication on what we were trying to say to each other. A good reason to take posts with a grain of salt. :)

From this :boxing: to this :hug:. LOL!

MANOFSTEEL69
02-22-2009, 04:33 PM
To some day soon.....:drunk2: :woohoo:

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
To some day soon.....:drunk2: :woohoo:

Thats what I am talking about! Any word yet?

'02 ws6
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Not worth potential problems.:twocents:

Mike@NewEra
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
There is a Mass Air sensor that I have seen that would be interesting to test out, it can read pressurized air, and reads air going in both directions which is good for dialing in a MAF table with a big cam to idle better as well as reducing cam surge and you will ultimately get a straighter MAF chart, not as choppy which is easier to tune. It also allows you to load multiple MAF tables to it(it's programmable by itself). so if you want to take your filter out at the track (yes this will make more power, I don't care which intake you are using) you can load the correct MAF table in for it so your tune isn't off, most intakes will make 5-7 more rwhp without a filter on the G8GT. But, this MAF sensor does not have a screen, so you would be running at your own risk. Abaco makes this, the thing is that they cost about $380, something to consider though, they are the only MAF worth purchasing, but you will need a tune for your car to run, unless it is preprogrammed by a tuner. I wanted to get into testing these out, but I didn't have time, and I didn't know how much interest there would be, so I didn't want to spend 2-3 days working everything out and not sell anything.

We are bouncing an idea around in the shop right now for the G8(potentially another new product) and if we build it, I will most likely try this.

GRRRR8
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
That is a killer MAF and I dont think it will get any more accurate then that.

'02 ws6
02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Damn! That MAF sounds like a bad dude! Too bad my G8 will never have enough power to utilize an MAF of that capacity.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

UGotSmkd
02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Found an article on pulling out the MAF screen. Like Charlie said, unless the car is making huge power, there is no benefit. Isn't speed density the pre-MAF era?

http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox/tips/maf/maf-screen.htm

'02 ws6
02-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Found an article on pulling out the MAF screen. Like Charlie said, unless the car is making huge power, there is no benefit. Isn't speed density the pre-MAF era?

http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox/tips/maf/maf-screen.htm

Speed density is still prevalent among ls owners, and preferred by many fbody owners. There's some myths about having to retune for different seasons of the year, but a proper SD tune should have you set no matter what the weather is.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Mike@NewEra
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Many tuners prefer a MAF tune as well, it depends on the set up.

'02 ws6
02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Mike, isn't SD limited HP wise? From what I've seen the 700+hp cars are MAF cars w/ massive units 100mm+.

'02 ws6
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
lol just saw this

1. Your stock MAF with screens will outflow your stock 48mm throttle body.
2. It will even outflow a 52mm throttle body.
3. It will also outflow your stock intake.

Sounds like a TPI or LT1 article.

So do the math, for 20 YEARS now people like myself have been telling GM performance car owners NOT to touch the screen.........and here we are now. It's a vicious cycle. :hang:

edfiero
02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
On my 96 Impala SS (LT1) I did measure with a scan tool, higher MAF at WOT with the screen removed. However I dont have any evidence to say that this translated into any more HP or not. I did not experience any driveability issues with the screen out. Though obviously the L76 could respond differently to removing the screen.

With my LS1 Vette, I have heard similar to what 02WS6 said, that the Stock MAF would outflow what was needed by even a moderately modified car, and therefore was no benefit and it was better to leave the stock MAF alone.

'02 ws6
02-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Thinking back now I am guilty......in my '89 IROC my MAF's screen was removed......but I bought it that way so I'm devoid of any blame!:)