PDA

View Full Version : Water leak

J Wikoff
02-20-2014, 03:47 PM
I saw this water trail today in front of the driver door and felt the carpet. It's soaking wet. The back side of that fuse panel cover is wet and so is everything behind it. Where can this be coming from? It doesn't seem like it's coming through the door weatherstrip from what I can see.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/jwikoff99/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140220_165122_187_zps5619bb20.jpg

STL_G8GT
02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Sunroof drains possibly

soup070
02-20-2014, 06:48 PM
That could be the best idea that its leaking from the sunroof (I believe the drain on most cars comes down the A pillar) another idea is mine did the same thing (I don't have a sunroof) in getting my front pass carpet wet about 4 years ago. The dealership I think replaced a grommet from the door mirror controls and that apparently solved the problem. But it does look like it comes from further under the dash.

BuildItYourSelf
02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Pic shows where the drain runs might have come undone or clogged.

J Wikoff
02-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks! Anyone know how the a-pillar cover or the kick panel comes off?

J Wikoff
03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
OK, so some water decided to eek out over the top end of the a pillar cover today. I'm assuming there's a screw or something behind the little airbag cover. Then what, just pull? Are the dash pieces at the bottom end of any consequence?

pokey
03-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Yes... there is a screw behind that little cover. You probably don't want to hear this but...I believe you will have to remove the dash piece(s) also and probably the vent cover below it. I don't recall exactly how or which way to pull on it. I learned by reading about different people's speaker install DIY's. Search for those and you should find some pictures. Here is mine unfortunately i didn't get a good picture of what you need which makes me think i must have been following the install i mention on the other board.

http://www.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=16448&highlight=polk

J Wikoff
03-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Thanks! It came apart as you described. There was no screw under the cover. The pillar came off without removing anything else, but I had to remove the tweeter cover to get it back on. Wasn't much of an issue.

After getting the corner of the headliner down, I did a water test and sure enough it was dripping from somewhere up there. I'm not sure if the hose between the sunroof tray and a pillar tube was seated or not. I fiddled with it before I had a good view of it. I then repositioned myself to see better, reset the hose into the a pillar tube and squirted more water and it seemed to stay dry. Let's hope that did the trick. I also rtv'd the front top corners of the rear doors. I've known those have seeped for a long time.

pokey
03-15-2014, 06:14 PM
No screw? .. huh.. that shows how well my memory is. It took me awhile to recall even how i pulled it off. I do remember getting it back on was more of pain then pulling it off. Hopefully you found your leak!

AuuuSSSIII YA' LATA
03-17-2014, 07:41 AM
If u didn't do so, straighten out a coat hanger and run it down the sunroof drain tubes. 90% of the water leaks I deal with at my place comes from debris built up/clogging the tube.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

J Wikoff
03-17-2014, 07:46 AM
I did not do that. I would have had to remove more stuff to get the headliner down enough to have the room. I'm sure we'll get plenty of rain soon enough to test it out. The water I was squeezing out of a water bottle with a 1mm hole in the lid wasn't backing up and out. I don't really know how much water it needs to handle though.

J Wikoff
03-18-2014, 06:23 AM
So I was looking around for any other little trim pieces I needed and I noticed a dried water trail that comes from the seam between the right rear c pillar cover and the seatbelt reel cover. So I'll be pulling down that cover this weekend.

I don't remember, does the rear shelf cover need to come off before the c pillar cover can?

RobA300
04-02-2014, 06:02 AM
No, you can pull the C-Pillar cover out by itself. I had/have the same leak on the Driver side C pillar. I had it to the dealer 4 years ago for it and they left the cover off when I picked it up and I put it back on myself. I think there is another trim piece at the headliner that will need to be taken off to allow access to the drain tube.

RobA300
04-07-2014, 03:45 AM
I took this apart this weekend and there is one screw that holds the C -Pillar trim in place. It is behind the Airbag tag. If you pull on the left corner it pops out and there is a 7MM hex head screw holding it all together. To get to the draing tube you will need to drop the headliner in the back. To do this you will need to remove the grab handle (2 torx head screws) and then pull down the headliner on the side and at the high-mount brake light. I found my drain tube had pulled out of the drain a little and was slightly clogged. I cleaned everything out and wrapped some tape around the end of the tube and wedged it back into the drain. After 10 minutes with the hose on there were no drips.

Hope you got yours fixed.

J Wikoff
04-07-2014, 09:23 AM
I think I got it fixed. The hose was forced out of a straight line and kinked a little by the hollow nub/protrusion of the plastic headliner backing. I basically crushed the nub by hand and massaged the hose back into place. No leaks in the last week or so yet.