PDA

View Full Version : Rotors stuck

G8GT594
02-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey Charlie I got an 04 blazer xtreme that need the rear pads and rotors but can't get the damn rotors off. Tried hamering them. Blow torched and liquid wrench. Still can't get it off. Any ideas? Dealer wants 250 for just the rears.

Thanks
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

CanadianEh
02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Use a bigger hammer!

G8GT594
02-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Use a bigger hammer!

Used the biggest one I could get in there... Hit behind it too. Hard to get at from behind because of the back plate.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

CanadianEh
02-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Use a metal rod or a piece of wood... put it up near the top or bottom edge of the rotor and take your hammer and give it a good smash. You should be able to hit is much harder doing it this way. If you think you might miss it and take out the fender don't use this method.

If it still doesn't come lose then give it a good soaking of your liquid wrench and give it a try in the morning. Letting it sit over night will let it soak in better and loosen the rust.

Charlie might have a even better way of doing it but this is what I normally end up doing.

bjrbm13
02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I always try to hit them on before off. No Joke. I take a hammer and a driving bar or round stock and hit it around the flat area in between the studs. Same thing works for drum brakes at least for me. It seems to loosen up any rust. Sometimes you have hit them on and of just keep working them back and forth. Just my two cents.

GRRRR8
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
These rotors are known for this in northern climates. Soak around hub with KROIL or Liquid Wrench for a hour or so. Smack rotor "on" in different area on hub to shock it. If rotors are being replaced hit from the backside where the brake pad wears and that usually makes it easy.

G8GT594
02-20-2009, 08:41 PM
These rotors are known for this in northern climates. Soak around hub with KROIL or Liquid Wrench for a hour or so. Smack rotor "on" in different area on hub to shock it. If rotors are being replaced hit from the backside where the brake pad wears and that usually makes it easy.

Ill let the Liquid Wrench soak for an hour 2marrow and start beating them again. This is the first change for them so they are rusted on there pretty damn good. I just go 2 fresh cans of the liquid wrench and im assuming this same problem is going to happen with the other rotor. They are being replaced so im not to worried about them.