PDA

View Full Version : Black Cat Customs Holden SS Gauge Overlay Available...

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, I spent a ton of time pouring over a 32 page thread on another g8 board the other night researching gauge face overlays for our cars.

Now as a newb contributor here, I apologize in advance if this has already been covered here on GRRRR8 but if it hasn't, please be aware there is a Canadian company called Black Cat customs that is doing gauge face overlays, and even have one for our G8s based on the Holden Commodore SS.

I'd also like to mention that while this company is nearby to me, I am no way affiliated with them. I just wanted to save anyone performing the same research down the road to find out about them sooner than later. ;)

Here is their link:

http://www.blackcatcustom.com/products.htm

There is a good chance I will be a customer very soon. ;)

dru21281
02-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the link, have been thinking about Gauge face overlays!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chewy
02-01-2014, 05:20 PM
I used them for my HSV gauges. Couldn't be happier!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
^^^Nice. Good to know.

-Ray-
02-02-2014, 02:45 AM
We had a gauge overlay group buy last year. Check the group buy forum.

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Thanks G8 Ray,

As I understand it you guys used Lockwood out of the uk as the supplier. From what I've seen they only supply gauge faces in miles per hour with no provisions for kilometers per hour.

I think it's good for our canadian members to know that black cat can supply both. :)

G8Holland
02-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Black Cat Customs makes good stuff, used them for the HSV pod gauge faces like Chewy did. Very nice to work with, respond to emails quickly, as I was looking for a custom colour gauge face set.

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-02-2014, 06:34 PM
^^ this is good to know. Shabby communication is always frustrating when dealing with a vendor. Glad to hear that isn't the case with these guys. ;)

terryscott621
02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
I used them for my HSV gauges. Couldn't be happier!

Black Cat Customs makes good stuff, used them for the HSV pod gauge faces like Chewy did. Very nice to work with, respond to emails quickly, as I was looking for a custom colour gauge face set.

How hard or easy was it to install the new gauge faces???

Chewy
02-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Not hard! Gauges have to come out of the housing though.

I ended up breaking a bezel before it dawned on me how to do it without breaking anything. SUCTION CUP! I actually came up with that on my own and am proud of it. I ended up buying a VDO gauge off amazon just for the bezel, removed, tossed the gauge and used it on my HSV VDO gauge. Once apart you just twist the needle anti/counter clockwise and pull off at the same time. With the needle off, you just peel off the old face and install the new one. The stock ones were glued on, but that's not necessary as you'll see when you get to that point.

It's maybe a 45 minute job all in.

Steve
02-03-2014, 03:24 PM
So what's the quality like on these things? paper? plastic? "stock"-like?
They do any custom work? (not just the 'text' but full layout?)

G8Holland
02-03-2014, 04:02 PM
So what's the quality like on these things? paper? plastic? "stock"-like?
They do any custom work? (not just the 'text' but full layout?)

The faces are "stock"-like, as they have the same style plastic background and smooth front surface. I can't tell they didn't come with the gauge pod, they match that closely. Fit and finish are great, edges are crisp with no stray plastic. Light throughput, to my eye, is the same as the stock faces.

As for custom work, they'll work with you to get the layout/text/color correct. They sent out a color swatch free of charge when checking their grey material versus the groupbuy Holden SS face. And when I found that there were LED's behind the oil can/battery image in the HSV gauges, they made a set of faces with those areas able to light up. All that was needed were the measurements for where the LED was and a decent photo.

Email response was within 24hrs, and they hit all the stated production/ship dates.

I would work with them again with no hesitation.

Chewy
02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Steve, they are pretty much the same plastic on the HSV gauges. Talking to the guy, I got the feeling he was a good egg.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

s/c'd cav
02-03-2014, 10:52 PM
black cat has been around along time , last i ever talked to them was probably 10+ years ago , and they were willing to do custom work at that time , extra time and money and what you wanted done , and he sent you a email with a picture for you to either accept or make changes before it was finalized

djerickd
02-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Got mine today, where is the how-to? :)

EDIT: found this http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=22431&p=357247&viewfull=1#post357247

dru21281
02-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Ordered a set today in pearl blue metallic for the outer speedo/tach and the rest carbon fiber. Should take a couple weeks to have them made, will post some pics once they are installed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice...fellas please do post pics. I will be ordering mine in April or so. ;)

jzpiano
02-12-2014, 12:46 AM
I ordered my HSV gauges from them back in 2010 and was super happy with the way everything was handled. Gauges were stock like and have held up beautifully over the years. Worth every penny.

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-12-2014, 05:52 AM
I ordered my HSV gauges from them back in 2010 and was super happy with the way everything was handled. Gauges were stock like and have held up beautifully over the years. Worth every penny.

Any pics?

matts88yj
02-19-2014, 05:19 AM
Thanks G8 Ray,

As I understand it you guys used Lockwood out of the uk as the supplier. From what I've seen they only supply gauge faces in miles per hour with no provisions for kilometers per hour.

I think it's good for our canadian members to know that black cat can supply both. :)

Lockwood can also do kilometers per hour as well. That was discussed with them when I was gathering up the group buy in case any of our G8 brothers and sisters in Canada were interested in getting in on the group buy. I know mine has been holding up beautifully.

Good to know there are other options out there. Feels like so long ago when I started that project.

Mr.Angry.GTP
02-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Lockwood can also do kilometers per hour as well. That was discussed with them when I was gathering up the group buy in case any of our G8 brothers and sisters in Canada were interested in getting in on the group buy. I know mine has been holding up beautifully.

Good to know there are other options out there. Feels like so long ago when I started that project.

What's old is new my friend... Meaning there are people like me arround that are new G8 owners but not new to car modding. ;)

PBMG8
02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
These are great overlays. I purchased a custom set for the JHP gauges and they made them for me. I had to send the old ones in and they fabricated new faces that are almost identical the ones that came out of the gauges. Email communication was great and they kept me informed of every step. I would definitely purchase from them again.