PDA

View Full Version : Permatex Gasket Remover

TooManyHobbies
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Permatex gasket remover is the shit. I remember the amount of scraping I had to do the first time I pulled the heads off. Now apply wait 15 minutes and wipe. Too bad the can is on the small side. I need to go buy another tomorrow.

TonyKarter
01-26-2014, 05:45 AM
It IS good, isn't it! There was a time, long, long ago when Permatex did not made a gasket remover. About all they made was #1 and #2. This was before the advent of silicone gasketing systems in a tube. All you had was rubber, cork, asbestos...and Permatex #1 and #2, which make tar and intake valley sludge look downright clean and friendly, and still do. That is all we had, so we used it. That is just the way that it was. And when we were finished we had that brown shit smeared everywhere, and I mean everywhere. If you didn't have access to Tri-Chlor (later banned as a carcinogen, shortly after benzene) you weren't getting #1 or #2 off any time soon. This was before nitrile gloves, so you just had brown hands for three weeks. Other stuff would EVENTUALLY get it off, but your tear-down time going to be long. I still have a tube of both, and for some very specific applications it is hard to beat, so reluctantly I use it. There have been times though that I have drive 27 miles to the nearest auto parts store just to get a can of their gasket remover to get it off rather than struggle without it, and a tube of their blue or gold for the build-back, in aversion to using their #1 or #2 that I had here.