PDA

View Full Version : Dechroming the factory grilles

KenV
02-19-2009, 10:31 PM
"I swear I searched!!!"

With that out of the way, has anyone tried this yet? I figured that I can sand them until kingdom come or chemically strip them. As a backup plan, maybe shooting for the black chrome/hypercoat look via spray tint may be a nice spin on the idea. (Adhesion would be the issue there, since the chrome wouldn't be going anywhere.)

Any ideas appreciated. If it works out, all I have to do is find some G8 door handles, blacken the exhaust tips and tint the bugger and I'm 'golden in my Holden'. Thanks in advance.

K

PantherGTBlack
02-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Hmmmm, I thought about doing this myself, but once I got my wheels, I decided to keep some chrome accents here and there. Best of luck to ya with that!

todds87ss
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Ken. Be at peace. You will not be flamed for failing to search here, my friend. In fact some of us actually enjoy answering questions more than once; gives us an opportunity to check our memory.
As far as dechroming the grill, I have not seen this done. You have several options for coating, including powder coat (some have seen success doing plastic). You are on the right track on etching the surface, no matter which way you go. Another search you could do might involve the engine cover, as this seems to be a project many have done with varied results.
Good luck.

KenV
02-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Truth be told, I really did search but came up empty. Thanks for the friendly reply Todd, it's much appreciated. This is a rare site indeed. I'll look up engine cover mods, good tip!

I didn't consider powder coating since I associate a high heat level with the process. I figured the grille would become a puddle. :flame:

If I try this out I'll put up pics. Heck, I may even dare to try doing the wheels in black afterwards. Evidently the stock 18"ers are no rare pieces so why not.

PantherGTBlack
02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
On the grills, sanding and some etching primer would probably be the way to go, then paint the color of your choice. Once/if you do the grill, please post pics!!!

-Ray-
02-20-2009, 04:22 AM
If you check my albums, you'll see I did this as soon as I got my G8.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/g8%20badges/G8grille.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/g8%20badges/G8GTbadges.jpg

conipc
02-20-2009, 06:00 AM
I painted using adhesion promoter and regular Krylon. If you want to de-chrome, I have heard that oven cleaner will take it off, but I claim no responsibility for that one!!

G8Smitty
02-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Ray's looked so good, I did mine too (flat black). Sorry for the sucky mobile phone pic.

http://cdsmith.org/images/grills.jpg

vert
02-20-2009, 06:42 AM
I am curious what the body color would look like, in lieu of the chrome. Once I found a Black G8 I was going to go that route, but it never happened. I settle for a MGM.

confused2much
02-20-2009, 07:51 AM
How difficult was it to take off the chrome pieces for painting?

r33pwrd
02-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I guess im weird but I like the chrome...

confused2much
02-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I like the chrome too, but I eventually want a mesh grill and I think the chrome is too much when adding the mesh.

G8Smitty
02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
I had to take off the front bumper cover to get the grills off. It took about an hour.

conipc
02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I was able to remove the 2 bolts and push pins at the top of the cover and simply reach in to release the grilles. Then you have to get the chrome rings off the honeycombs REAL carefully, as the chrome tabs break easily. However, if a few break there are still plent to hold it all together...

G8Smitty
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
I tried that, but my arms were getting all scratched up. Mine were a beating to get off even after I had the bumper cover off.

confused2much
02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Maybe Ill tackle that task the same time I install my HIDs

xfactor
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
So what does it look like under the chrome rings? Can they be reinstalled without the chrome?
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

PantherGTBlack
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Maybe Ill tackle that task the same time I install my HIDs

When I did my HID's it was easier to jack it up and drop the fender liners. I only had to worry about that on the passenger side since I have a New Era CAI.

conipc
02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Can't really do without the chrome surrounds--very unfinished around the honeycomb inserts....

KenV
02-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks like this is doable. By the way, for those who haven't taken their grilles apart (or won't because they like the look), give them a tug anyway: While my passenger side is slightly loose, the driver side grille is rattling, it's so loose. Looks like they can come off this weekend, maybe on their own ;)

Darkside
02-20-2009, 11:52 PM
When I get my FRC's, I'm going to paint them along with this chrome trim to match the car. I like the all black look on the grills, but it might look decent having the trim match the car.

RB Designs
02-21-2009, 05:21 AM
use a solution of water and muratic acid and a red scotch brite pad
and scuff chrome until chrome is gone and nickel is left, now sand nickel
with 400 grit wet , apply etching pimer and then a primer surfacer,
sand with 600 grit and then you are ready to apply your paint of choice.

It really doesn't take long and will give long lasting results..........

PantherGTBlack
02-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks RB! I'll have to save these steps in case I decide to do it later down the road.

KenV
02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
And holy cow, I have muriatic acid for the pool.....+1 on the thanks RB.

SLA
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Those chrome trim pieces are plastic... ie not real chrome like a metal bumper that has been plated. No acid is needed, I guarantee you can sand it off, which there is no need to sand completely off because you'll be painting it. Just scuff it with a scotch-brite pad before you paint.

KenV
02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I was considering scotchbrites (or steel wool) as well. I had been trying to figure out how to get the acid onto the chrome without crazing the honeycomb sections. The last thing I need to do is buy new grilles. heh

G8Smitty
02-24-2009, 05:34 AM
I was considering scotchbrites (or steel wool) as well. I had been trying to figure out how to get the acid onto the chrome without crazing the honeycomb sections. The last thing I need to do is buy new grilles. heh
Not that you need the acid, but the chrome rings separate from the honeycomb grills.

KenV
02-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't taken them apart just yet, since I had to get the oil catchcan installed. Maybe this weekend, fingers crossed.

-Ray-
02-28-2009, 03:41 AM
I would remove the grilles to do it.

KenV
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
On the offchance one exists, is there an online diagram for the front trim removal to anyone's knowledge? Just in case it isn't as easy as it looks. Thanks.

MANOFSTEEL69
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm having the plastic/chrome inserts for my wheels done in IOM. My paint guy said there is a new adhesive that may be applied to hopefully help get the paint to adhere. We're going to test it on one and see what happens. Will have some results later this week and will update you all one way or the other, if it works on those, I'm going to do my grill as well.

RB Designs
03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
yes I assumed every one knew to take them off the car first,
plastic is plated much the same as metal.............the method i discribed
is the prefered method and will last the longest.

BlownG8GT
03-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Ray's looked so good, I did mine too (flat black). Sorry for the sucky mobile phone pic.

http://cdsmith.org/images/grills.jpg

I have decided to do this today....Kinda bored over here, and this is a cheap mod.....

I will post pics later.

RacerxG8
03-14-2009, 10:54 AM
On the offchance one exists, is there an online diagram for the front trim removal to anyone's knowledge? Just in case it isn't as easy as it looks. Thanks.

Here ya go. Straight from gmpartsdirect.com

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/F/FR08010.gif

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/F/FR08005.gif

BlownG8GT
03-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Sanded and primed........Letting them dry for a few hours then its flat black time!