PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at 55 to 65 mph

bjrbm13
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Ok I am new to this site and this may have been already posted, but I have to ask. I am getting tire vibration between 55 and 65 mph. The car has the summer only 19" Bridgestones. I saw something on this the other day and now I cant find it. Was there a TSB out on it? Thanks.

johnh
02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Not sure if there's a TSB, but many people have had to get wheels rebalanced. They had to do mine three times to get it right...

bigtreepu
02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
sure it isn't the AFM?

liquidred
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
i get the same thing man i have the 19s too and its the AFM unless yours is different

gearhead455
02-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Afm?

SLA
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Active Fuel Managment aka DoD Displacement on Demand

bjrbm13
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
No it's not the AFM, even putting the car in neutral doesnt make it any better. Even the rear view mirror vibrates. But thanks for the input.

JerzeyGT
02-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I had the same thing happen with my 18" all season tires... after several road balance attempts... I now have four new tires that were replaced at 3k miles

therapture
02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Check this out....this is what I had, and it is WONDERFULLY smooth now, once the driveshaft was indexed and carrier bearing re-centered. I just logged into the GM Service Information and copied/pasted the TSB.

#PIC4989: Drive Line Boom Noise And/Or Vibration - (Oct 2, 2008)

Subject: Drive Line Boom Noise and/or Vibration

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

There may be a either a boom noise or vibration and in some cases both a noise & vibration detected in a very few 2008 & 2009 G8's. This condition may be detected by customers at speeds of 55-65 MPH on either 08 or 09 G8's. The noise could be described as a low frequency boom or moan noise (not a whine) coming through the body. The vibration is generally felt in the seat or the floor pan. The condition could be caused by either a misaligned center support bearing assembly or the prop shaft mounting to the differential yoke.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The prop shaft center support mount is slotted left to right and can be adjusted by loosening the bolts which are accessible through holes in the metal shield between the prop shaft & the floor sheet metal. After loosening the center support bolts you can use a pry bar between the prop shaft & floor to adjust the center support. If the alignment isn't correct the prop shaft will usually "snap over" into proper location with very little input.

If the condition is both noise & vibration felt through the floor, re-indexing the prop shaft to the differential yoke may have to be performed:

•Mark the relative alignment of the propshaft, rubber coupling, and differential in the original position.
•Number the nut and bolt pairs and their hole in the rubber coupling which join the rubber coupling to the differential (silver) and the nut and bolts which join the propshaft to the rubber coupling (black).
•Remove rubber coupling from differential and propshaft, ensure the nut and bolt pairs are kept together.
•Re-assemble indexing the rubber coupling and silver bolts clockwise (relative to differential), and the propshaft and black bolts counter clockwise (relative to differential).

therapture
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Active Fuel Managment aka DoD Displacement on Demand

It's not that. Have your dealer do the bulletin fix. While mine was in, I also had the wheels checked/road force balanced, and at 70mph, it's like a totally different car! (the balancing was almost spot on, the bulletin was the real fix!)

edit: I am the parts manager at our mid size dealership and check out bulletins/what not all the time.

mfox
02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I had the same issue and after 2 new Goodyear RSA's and several balance attemps I finally convinced the service manager to install 4 new Michellins.
Now smooth as glass.

JerzeyGT
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I wish I could have replaced my goodyears with somthing else....

Schinbone
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I just picked up my new 2009.5 G8 GT and what should have been happy turned.....well not as happy as it should have been.
On the drive home I noticed this vibration, in the steering wheel not like the bulletin says (driveline). No noises. @ 55-70 in the steering wheel, shimmies like it is out of balance. Called the dealer and they said its prob because it has been sitting on the lot. My Honda did that with Michelin tires when it sat for a day or so but it had been driven about 200 miles yesterday. I will drive it a couple days and see. He told me there were no TSB's on that VIN. Any thoughts?

Coldones
02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
My 2009.5 had the same problem. I took it back to the dealer 3 days later and they determined that the two front tires were bad. They couldn't even get them balanced. Replaced both tires and now all is well.

Joe Weinstein
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I had it. The dealer went through some searching, aligning, and finally
balancing the wheels, problem solved. He said he had to send away for
special wheel weights...

dllb
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
My dealer let me drive off the lot with the tires at 55psi, which I thought was high, and found OUT was high when I got home and looked at the door jam.

When I lowered the PSI to the correct levels, yup, mine is doing the front end shake now. :( I wonder if they are screwing the tires up by inflating them over the max rated PSI?

SLA
02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
It's not that. Have your dealer do the bulletin fix. While mine was in, I also had the wheels checked/road force balanced, and at 70mph, it's like a totally different car! (the balancing was almost spot on, the bulletin was the real fix!)

edit: I am the parts manager at our mid size dealership and check out bulletins/what not all the time.

I wasn't saying that is what was causing the problem, I was explaining to gearhead455 what afm meant.

Virus
04-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Mine is doing the same exact thing. I drove it home last night and the alignment is off and while the car isn't shaking horribly, it's still bothersome.

fourthmeal
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
During a test drive session (picking between the GT and the V6), I noticed the 19"-equipped GT had some serious shaking at these speeds, and slightly lower as well. The dealer cited "flat-spotting" of the tires and assured me that it goes away a few minutes into the drive. Needless to say, 15 minutes into our drive, the vibration was still there and the sales guy shrugged it off. I'm bettin' that they just don't have a clue. Sometimes it happened when I was a tire sales guy, where we'd just have to warranty the tire (or wheel) out and take care of the customer. You just gotta be a "squeaky wheel",...as it were.

POPSG8GT
07-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Our 09 G8 GT has the vibration in the steering wheel at around 60-70 MPH. I will be taking it to the garage to see "how they fix this".

learjet60
07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Steering wheel shake is VERY common on the cars with Goodyear RSA's especially. :hang:

There is a 12 page thread on g8board.com (search steering wheel shake) on this issue. Road force balancing has fixed the issue for some, helped it a little for others (like me), and not done much for others. There seems to be a variety of opinions as to the cause of the shake/vibration.

Good luck!

SSD
07-07-2009, 09:21 AM
The first G8 I drove had steering wheel skake so bad I thought it was trying to hit the windshield. I returned it to the dealer immediately and was given the one I ended up buying. The dealer's owner later told me they had to replace a wheel that was defective. That sounds a lot like the symptoms described here to me. My factory Bridgestone tires were repleced with Goodyear Eagle GT's for all season wear back in the cold weather, and I've never had any vibration with this car that was not alignment & balance related.

Panzer Leader
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Same thing on the V6 with 18" Bridgestone 050A. Tires have been road forced balance and vibration is still there.

johnh
07-08-2009, 04:29 AM
I blame the tires.

Stock my car (18" with Potenzas) had to be RF balanced 3 times.

I put GY Eagle F1 on stock wheels, no issues with just a regular balance.

I put my Potenzas on new aftermarket wheels..welcome back mr. shakey. I have even had them RF balanced and its still there a little. It does seem to go away after a few minutes of driving now (previously it never went away).

Really doesn't seem to be an issue with new tires....

Panzer Leader
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks John for the update. Car is being Pedder today and tomorrow. They will realign and check the balance. BTW Have the 4 cylinder Mazda 6 as a rental. No vibration, rattles, squicks, tracks true. Very impressed with the car, would likely take it over the Accord. Somewhat sensitive on the steering side.

ab97863
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Will the dealership recognize there is a shaking/vibrating problem or pass it off as "normal" and not rebalance or TSB fix?

GRRRR8
08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
They should road test with you to verify issue and go from there.