PDA

View Full Version : Help: Radio LCD screen flashes on and off

Night Owl
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I have a strange intermittent problem with my radio. It first happened a few days after I got my car and it has happened quite a few times since then. The car will start and the radio will play, but the screen will not light. Sometimes the back lighting will flash on and off, but the display itself is black. Like it goes from totally off (like when the car is off) and then somewhat lit (eg: the screen is displaying nothing, but the backlight comes on) Sometimes the radio lighting will flash on and off also.

I've been keeping track of when it happens, but have not been able to determine a pattern. I just noticed today that my bass and treble settings have been reset to zero. I don't think I did it, but it's something I will check next time the radio screen blanks out.

It happens as soon as I start the car and will continue to flash a "blank" screen until I turn the car off and open the door. Opening the door turns off the radio. This seems to clear the problem because I can start the car again and the screen works fine.

Anyone else had this problem? I have a 2009 GT with the 6-disk changer.

Even with the screwy screen, I love this car!

PantherGTBlack
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
There have been some issues with the florescent bulb which lights the screen. Your dealer should have a service bulletin regarding this issue and will fix it under warranty.

foreosu
02-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Mine does the exact same thing the OP described. No rhyme or reason to when, but it definitely does it. I've found on my last 2 remote starts, it has done it both times (dont know if that is connected or not).

I'm fed up with the hiccuping transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, so I'm taking my car in soon for that anyways. I'll ask about the radio as well and will let everyone know.

My biggest fear is that they have to rip out the unit and then the car won't feel as "tight" over bumps, etc.

SRG963
02-19-2009, 05:46 AM
My biggest fear is that they have to rip out the unit and then the car won't feel as "tight" over bumps, etc.

Removing the radio won't affect the "tightness" of the car at all,
unless they break something while doing it.

Try pressing on the HVAC/Radio unit. The face of the unit clips into the front of the actual system. It may be as simple as removing the face, cleaning the connections, and putting it back on. Something a DIY'er could try before a dealer visit.

Night Owl
02-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I do need to take it to the dealer as there are a few other things I want them to take care of. But I don't want to be without my baby... Heh heh heh.

Actually, I think it is more than just the backlighting. When it is dark out and the instrument panel lights up, the radio and A/C controls strobe on and off in time with the LCD panel. Also the panel is blank. If it was just the backlighting, when the backlight was on, I should be able to see the information on the screen.

If it happens when I have a camera, I'll film it and post it.

jnak
02-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Sounds like there's a bad connection between the head unit and the faceplate.

Night Owl
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Update:

Took the car to the dealer with a short video I recorded of the problem. I got a call from them later saying they were able to fix the issue. The car actually cooperated and started flashing the lights the first time they turned the key. They said they found a software update for the radio.

pokey
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Update:

Took the car to the dealer with a short video I recorded of the problem. I got a call from them later saying they were able to fix the issue. The car actually cooperated and started flashing the lights the first time they turned the key. They said they found a software update for the radio.

Night Owl...is yours still ok? I had the same issue, insisted upon the software update, which they did. Now today it did it again twice in a row. I'm assuming they did update the radio. but...?

Night Owl
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Actually it did it again yesterday. Luckily I was in a position to drive it down to the dealer and told them the fix didn't work and if they could look at it right then and there. They witnessed the problem and wanted to set up an appt. I explained that we couldn't predict when it would happen and if I turned the car off, it would reset itself. I had the car running all this time (with the window open, last time I left a car running and closed the door, it locked itself, but that's another story) and told them I could wait, but the car had to be kept running. Service guy went in for a bit and came out and said they could put it on the rack and read the codes.

About 10 minutes later he came back and said there was an error code that they wrote down so that when I brought the car in they would have a record. Apparently when I had it in the last time, it started the flashing behavior for them, but there were no codes. I'm guessing they saw it flashing, drove the car up onto the rack, then turned the car off. Which resets the radio. So they did a search, found a service bulletin, and flashed the radio.

So I have an appointment next week Friday to have it looked at again and for them to replace the rear windshield. I'll update you after that.

Chooch
04-08-2009, 04:06 AM
Keep us posted.... Mine has it's occasional moments as well. I ususally as said above, if I can, Next stop I pull over, shut down, wait 30 sec's and restart and it is fine, but rather get it fixed...

Night Owl
04-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Got the car back from the dealer today. They said they will have to replace the radio. This is what the invoice says:

"2668 Verified customer concern. Tested radio operation and verified customer concern. Plugged in Tech2 and pulled code B101D Hardware performance internal communications failure."

I am assuming that this code will only appear when the radio is glitching. I know it is a PITA, but you may have to wait for the radio to start flashing and drive directly to the dealer and have them scan the car without turning the car off. As I had mentioned earlier, that's what I had to do so they could document the error code. I fear without the error code it would have been the old "unable to duplicate problem" outcome.

They will have to order the radio, which will probably take a while. I can't imagine too many of them in the supply chain right now.

pokey
05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
My radio has not stopped flashing as well after the software update. Really PISSING ME OFF. Of course it happens when they are not open. I started recording every episode with my camera in case I need it at some point.

Annoying thing was that they wrote on my first service order, that the radio should only be replaced "if current" I assume means occurring when I take it in. This is even though they did capture the error code from mine when it wasn't occurring.

I'll give it one more week and then she is going in. They have 3 more chances to fix before I start the paper work to make them buy it back and give me a GXP. But seriously though, my many repair visits (for this and other things) are ruining my initial ownership experience. Really a shame.

pokey
05-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Make that 2 more chances. Dealership replaced some control module last week. Thought this was fixed, but no. Today doing it again.

I never thought I would be considering filling paperwork to get a car replaced under the lemon law but I refuse to ignore a flashing radio/blank display.

G8 will be going in on Monday, no more waiting for the radio to flash before bringing it in. They be best to start replacing things.

Don't get me wrong still love this car and if it gets replaced under the lemon law it will be replaced with another G8.

Night Owl
05-16-2009, 12:26 PM
The car went in yesterday for the flashing screen problem. They replaced the front fascia of the radio. Apparently the radio comes in two parts. The whole front panel, including all the A/C controls, is one big piece that plugs in to the CD changer/radio part.

"92201764 Fascia"
"Removed & Replaced front radio/CD control fascia unit due to internal failure."

I'll see how this goes. Since it is an intermittent issue, it will take a few weeks before I'll say the problem is definitely fixed.

pokey
05-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Hey Night Owl...looks like our cars have been on the same path (unfortunately).

Mine is at the dealer now and will be over night. I beleive they replaced a control module on mine and now will be replacing the whole radio tomorrow per GM. Good Luck with yours...

Eidolon
05-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Just bought my 2009 G8 GXP and unfortunately I'm experiencing this issue. Twice today. Turn it off, open the door, and restart the car and it works again. Any luck getting this solved?

pokey
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
For mine I had 3 service calls:

(1) Radio reprogrammed: still broke
(2) Control assembly replaced: still broke
(3) Radio replaced: ?

The last service call was just this past Monday so, cross my fingers this is fixed now. According to the paper work all three times my radio had an error code of B101D. This last time the dealership called GM techline and they mentioned radio should be replaced and actually should have been replaced during call #2.

I'm hopefull it is now fixed but with this issue all I can do is wait and see. I'd take it in and stay on them. Give'm Hell! :)

Night Owl
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I got into my car this morning to go to work and the radio started flashing. Drove directly to the dealer and told them they needed to put it on the rack and read the code. Also mentioned that they needed to contact GM who will tell them to replace the radio. Long story short, they changed the radio today (they actually had one in stock) so I'm hoping that will be the end of it.

I told them to make sure they ejected the CDs before they pulled the radio. I should have told them to eject ALL the CDs. Ding dongs left two CDs in the old radio. They said they would get the CDs out and mail them to me. Don't know how they are going to do that without installing the radio into another car, but I wasn't going to let them tear apart my car again.

gearhead455
05-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Good luck,but why didn't you take your cd's out when you brought the car in.? :)

Night Owl
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
It wasn't my intent to have the radio changed out at that time. What was supposed to happen was they would hook the car up to the computer, pull the codes, then I would schedule a future appointment and give them time to do the research. I was supposed to go to work that day and had called my boss to say I would be a few hours late. When the service rep said they were going to swap the radio out, I made it clear that they had to take out my CDs first. The response I got from him gave me the impression he felt that I didn't have to remind him of that simple fact. :spank:

NDM
05-29-2009, 07:22 AM
It wasn't my intent to have the radio changed out at that time. What was supposed to happen was they would hook the car up to the computer, pull the codes, then I would schedule a future appointment and give them time to do the research. I was supposed to go to work that day and had called my boss to say I would be a few hours late. When the service rep said they were going to swap the radio out, I made it clear that they had to take out my CDs first. The response I got from him gave me the impression he felt that I didn't have to remind him of that simple fact. :spank:

This issue is seriously pissing me off too....I am very tired of it..

I hope someone finds a fix. Cause it seems to be happening more and more...

Night Owl
06-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Well it has been going on three weeks and the radio is behaving itself. So the fix seems to be to change out the radio/CD unit. Flashing the radio or changing the control/faceplate doesn't solve it.

On the down side, I was told they sent the radio to GM who would extract the CDs and send it back. Yeah yeah, I have zero faith that will happen.

pokey
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Same here; My radio is ok now, same fix as Night Owl. Changed out the radio / cd unit was the fix...

Eidolon
06-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I had scheduled an oil change for this morning, and as luck would have it, my radio went on the fritz when I turned on the car to drive over to the dealership for the oil change. Didn't end up getting the oil change, but they were able to look at the radio while it was spazzing. A new part is now on order!