PDA

View Full Version : When is this car REALLY empty?

TonyKarter
02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,
That little gas pump is emptying itself on my DIC. Gas guage shows between 1/4 and 1/8th of a tank. Anyone cheated death yet and tried to see how far it will go once the gas pump shows up on the DIC? How many miles did you go before chickening out and buying gas? From here in Snuff Gully it is 12 miles to the nearest gas station. Should I chance it?

GRRRR8
02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I think I went 25 more miles once when it came on, but didnt push it past that.

norm8332
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I believe there is a second warning just before it runs out "Very low fuel"

EcoBrick Bob
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
And... a third warning when you run out. WIFE CLUBS YOU OVER THE HEAD!!!!

PaFromFL
02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
A good way to estimate the reserve margin when the tank is nearly empty is to compare the number of gallons needed to fill the tank to the specified capacity.

G8GT594
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
You'll be fine but its not to good to let it get that low. Makes it a little harder on the fuel pump. Get a dash hawk and it will tell you the percentage of fuel remaining. Comes in handy for road trips in the truck.
BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

GM_Fan
02-18-2009, 03:56 AM
I hate letting any of my cars get past the 1/4 tank mark. I start looking for fuel at that point.

g8_795
02-18-2009, 03:58 AM
I believe there is a second warning just before it runs out "Very low fuel"

Yes there is. I got this a couple of months ago because I was running late somewhere and knew I had enough gas to get there.

99-LS1-SS
02-18-2009, 05:10 AM
I hate letting any of my cars get past the 1/4 tank mark. I start looking for fuel at that point.

Me too!! I've run out of gas when I was younger in the middle of BFE (Bum Fuck Egypt)! I had to walk for at least an hour to get to a phone! If it gets near 1/4 of a tank I fill it up. My wife on the other hand, doesn't share my concern. If the light isn't on there is plenty of gas! Nothing quite as soothing as getting in the car and seeing the needle on the E.

BSmith
02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
I've wondered too. I have put a good 35 miles in heavy traffic with the light on. I haven't seen a different warning come on. I have noticed that the light comes on when the miles left says 40 or 50.

GRRRR8
02-18-2009, 08:00 AM
I am surprised with all of our humor no one has posted "when it shuts off!" lol

foreosu
02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
I've never received the 2nd "final warning" light, but I've gone at least 30 miles on the first warning before. I'm also surprised that I've never been able to put in more than about 16 gallons when filling up (into a gas tank that is supposed to be 18 gallons).

MissNaySimon
02-18-2009, 09:46 AM
^ I've had the same thing happen! It says low fuel and I swear the needle is sitting on empty and it only puts in 16.8 or something like that. Husband has gotten the VLF light, but I haven't.

The_Brute
02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
My wife on the other hand, doesn't share my concern. If the light isn't on there is plenty of gas! Nothing quite as soothing as getting in the car and seeing the needle on the E.

I had to chuckle at this because my wife is the same way. :spank:

todds87ss
02-18-2009, 06:23 PM
40 miles here...I suppose it matters how you spend your last 40 or so miles! :)

HadaGoat
02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Ok that is another thing I miss from my GTO. It told me how many gallons I used and what was left, it also had the Very Low Fuel warning light. But I still love my G8, now to mod her and have some fun!

The Commodore
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow I never knew there was a second warning.

When the first low fuel sign comes on....there should be around 4 gallons still in the tank.

My fill ups are always around 15 gallons.

EcoBrick Bob
02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
I am surprised with all of our humor no one has posted "when it shuts off!" lol

Thought that's what I said.... car runs out. WIFE SHUTS ME OFF!!!!!

(this has happened... more than once.... a year.... never learn....):hang:

GrandPrix98GT
02-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I've let it run down to the low fuel light once, but I'd rather not do that again. Especially during winter time.

EcoBrick Bob
02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I had 2 Caddy STS's in the 90's. I routinely got almost 2 gal more in tank than the owners manual capacity. Didn't realize charcoal canister held that much fuel!

Honestly, have run G8 down to about 20 mi at least 2 times. Never put in over 16.8 Gal.

MtbDoc
02-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Yep, I don't do anything until after the warning comes on (at least around town). The second warning is at about 1 gallon left. That means it is time to get some fuel.

I HATE extra stops at the gas station. If I fill up at 17-18 gal vs 15 gal, it means a fair number of few stops!

GT G8
02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
And... a third warning when you run out. WIFE CLUBS YOU OVER THE HEAD!!!!

LMFAO! :spank:

Top Speed
02-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Once in my old Chevy company truck I was on E for much longer than usual. I knew I had to get gas soon. As I turned into the gas station the engine cut off and I coasted up to the pump. I don't let the gas get that low anymore.

Slizzo
02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Once in my old Chevy company truck I was on E for much longer than usual. I knew I had to get gas soon. As I turned into the gas station the engine cut off and I coasted up to the pump. I don't let the gas get that low anymore.

Manual states 19gal capacity. Even after all that is said and done, I've never put over ~16.5gal in my car with the first warning bugging the crap out of me...

bigtreepu
02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
honestly I'd say about 70-80 highway miles, or 50 city miles. I've hit the Very Low Fuel light after driving probably 50 miles on the Low Fuel Light. And still only put about 18 gallons in it. I'd guesstimate the low fuel light means you got about 4 gallons left, so based on your driving, judge from that.
~Matt

BigV8
02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Test Drove G8 Gt second time with the wife in the car, the first low fuel was on and when we got off the highway the "very low fuel " came on made it couple miles and it just flat out died! We were still 1/2 mile from dealer had to call to get picked up, NO CLUB OVERHEAD thou. LOL

jbradsh1
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
I think I put 17.1 gals. in it once. Had the gas pump chime on for at least 50 miles. I was beginning to think my car was turning into a perpetual motion machine or a hybrid, god forbid.

R.Penguin
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey guys,
That little gas pump is emptying itself on my DIC. Gas guage shows between 1/4 and 1/8th of a tank. Anyone cheated death yet and tried to see how far it will go once the gas pump shows up on the DIC? How many miles did you go before chickening out and buying gas? From here in Snuff Gully it is 12 miles to the nearest gas station. Should I chance it?
I have not tested the 2009 GT yet, but the 2008 was definetely empty when it stopped.:p

vert
02-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Me too!! I've run out of gas when I was younger in the middle of BFE (Bum Fuck Egypt)! I had to walk for at least an hour to get to a phone! If it gets near 1/4 of a tank I fill it up. My wife on the other hand, doesn't share my concern. If the light isn't on there is plenty of gas! Nothing quite as soothing as getting in the car and seeing the needle on the E.

I know what you mean. I go and drive the misses vehicke and it is on E, while she takes mine. The next day I get into my car and the needle is stuck on E.

bobyoung
02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey guys,

The day I bought mine I ran out of gas across the street from the dealer, the salesman just brought some gas over in a can, dumped it in the tank and it started right up, there was something he did though. It may say in the manual what to do, it was rush hour and I was in the middle of traffic so I was a little nervous to get it the hell out of there which is why I don't remember the procedure he used. I do know one thing the gas gauge is very precise compared to older GM cars and when very low shows up you are only going a few more miles before you're walking.

jnak
02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
I pulled up the gas station today. DIC said 15 litres left. Put 54 litres in. When I started the car, I now had 73 litres left. I magically gained 4 litres. Plus the tank is only supposed to hold 72 litres. (FYI - 3.7ish litres = 1 gallon)