PDA

View Full Version : Spare Key

monster mash
11-16-2013, 12:57 AM
So, I bought another g8gt this one pacific slate. I don't know what it is about buying cars used but I have never gotten one with two damned keys and this is no exeption, one key not even the flipper. That wouldn't be bad either but I tried to order either one of the two styles of keys from a local dealer and he couldn't get one for some reason. Is there anywhere online,:uhm: a dealer perhaps, that I can get a spare key. The next time I buy a used car or truck, it will be walksville if I don't get two keys. No kidding just up and leave and they can keep the damned thing. Grrrrr:facepalm2:

jscruick
11-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Greg @ Pace Auto, a sponsor here can help you

eric_cspan
11-16-2013, 06:46 AM
http://gtog8ta.com/08-09-locks/keys/

Take your pick! You'd still have to get them cut though.

We're also coming out with a repro case that will be much cheaper than the GM one.

monster mash
11-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes ummm about that getting one cut thing, I'm in WY and I would bet that nobody could cut a key like these within a 4 hours drive. But Monday I'm going to call around. A regular key, no problem get one done anywhere. One of these double side keys, I would bet not. Pace would probably just have the blank right like what's on erics site?

sl3196
11-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Whites couldn't get ya one? They aren't a real good dealer imo so not suprised. I got stuck with only one key when I bought mine.

20G8GT09
11-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Im in the same boat on this one! I just bought my car and it only came with one key (solid type), not the flip style.

eric_cspan
11-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Any dealer should be able to do it for you. Maybe even a good hardware store should have these new laser cut machines.

Greg@PacePerformance
11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I can get you the un cut key for $36.00, but like you said you might have a hard time getting it cut.

Your local dealer needs to order 89027333. That is the cut key from GM. The dealer will need your ID and car title/registration to verify ownership and get the vin. Once they have it all verified they can get the key code from GM and order the key.

cut keys are about $20.00 more, but the depends on the dealer.

monster mash
11-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Whites couldn't get ya one? They aren't a real good dealer imo so not suprised. I got stuck with only one key when I bought mine.
Yea stopped in there last week looking for one and they couldn't get either one. I tell ya, these yasshole dealers are tossing the other key so that we have to buy another one. I didn't buy my car from Whites though so I'm not directing that comment at them but your opinion on them I think is spot on. Just every time I have ever bought a used car or pickup. There is a lock place, I'm going to ask in Gillette about cutting the key but, I'm thinking Gillette isn't going to have anywhere. Unless you know of a place that can do it.
Thanks Greg at Pace for the info. I will try some other dealer ship. They where telling me $75 which if they could get one, I would buy just to have it out of the way.

Crazy Paul
11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I tell ya, these yasshole dealers are tossing the other key so that we have to buy another one. They where telling me $75 which if they could get one, I would buy just to have it out of the way.
There is another angle and it would be my chosen option if I thought there was a possibility of a cut and coded key that would start my car floating around somewhere in other persons hands. (Not all car dealers and sales people are saints).
New ignition barrel and door lock set with 1x new flip key & 1 x new straight key, cut to suit new locks.
Part Number 92212791. It should be around $140 I think.

sl3196
11-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Yea stopped in there last week looking for one and they couldn't get either one. I tell ya, these yasshole dealers are tossing the other key so that we have to buy another one. I didn't buy my car from Whites though so I'm not directing that comment at them but your opinion on them I think is spot on. Just every time I have ever bought a used car or pickup. There is a lock place, I'm going to ask in Gillette about cutting the key but, I'm thinking Gillette isn't going to have anywhere. Unless you know of a place that can do it.
Thanks Greg at Pace for the info. I will try some other dealer ship. They where telling me $75 which if they could get one, I would buy just to have it out of the way.

I had whites get me a cut key off the vin of my old GTP but its a little more basic key I suppose.