PDA

View Full Version : I smell gas

the_marquis78
02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I rode with someone in my car a few days ago who mentioned that they could smell a little gas when we were stopped. I've been super sick all weekend so I can't smell a thing but I'm finally getting over it and sure enough, I got a whiff of gas this morning. Any ideas? I wonder if I need to tighten up the bolts on my headers or something...

GRRRR8
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Raw gas or exhaust fumes? You should check all header connection if you havent.

MissNaySimon
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I thought I heard of someone that had issues with their fuel tank? If that doesn't fix it, I guess see if you can get the dealership to check it out.

the_marquis78
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
not exhaust...smells like good ole fashioned gasoline

wreckwriter
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
have you opened the hood and looked for a fuel leak (engine running)? Also try this: turn off a/c, find a clean place to park and let the car idle with occasional reving for about 5 min. Move the car and look for gas on the ground.

CanadianEh
02-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I thought I heard of someone that had issues with their fuel tank? If that doesn't fix it, I guess see if you can get the dealership to check it out.

I had a major issue with my gas tank, there was a crack in it. Part of the deal when I bought it was for them to fill it up, when we were sitting out in the parking lot going over the On-Star we started to smell gas.. found a 5' puddle of gas under the car.

I suggest either doing what wreckwriter mentioned or else jacking up the back and checking for a wet spot on the tank. Just check the bottom and see if anything has been dripping.. if not rub your hand up over top and see if you can find a wet spot, if it smells like gas then you found yourself a leak.

JoeSyko
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I rode with someone in my car a few days ago who mentioned that they could smell a little gas when we were stopped. I've been super sick all weekend so I can't smell a thing but I'm finally getting over it and sure enough, I got a whiff of gas this morning.

:devil: I can't believe no else jumped on this first but....

ease off the mexican food.

(prolly gonna deserve a :nutkick: after that.) :devil:

FrolferG8
02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
this is going to sound dumb but have you washed your car since your last fill up? maybe you got a little gas on the car while filling?

the_marquis78
02-17-2009, 02:46 PM
have you opened the hood and looked for a fuel leak (engine running)? Also try this: turn off a/c, find a clean place to park and let the car idle with occasional reving for about 5 min. Move the car and look for gas on the ground.

Good advice, I'll have to do that, see if anything comes up.

:devil: I can't believe no else jumped on this first but....

ease off the mexican food.

(prolly gonna deserve a :nutkick: after that.) :devil:

Oh Snap!

this is going to sound dumb but have you washed your car since your last fill up? maybe you got a little gas on the car while filling?

You might be thinking I had a Zoolander-esk gasoline fight last time I filled up but an ounce or two of spillage is not going to be around 5 days later.

todds87ss
02-17-2009, 05:30 PM
You might be thinking I had a Zoolander-esk gasoline fight last time I filled up but an ounce or two of spillage is not going to be around 5 days later.
it was a freak gasoline fight accident:flame::devil:

FrolferG8
02-18-2009, 02:38 AM

LMAO i needed a good laugh

ronbuick
02-18-2009, 07:01 AM
What did you find out about the smell??, thanks.

Ron

SRG963
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
"The fuel tank sending unit seals were also replaced due to excessive fuel smell in the back of the car."

Think this is your problem? Take it to the dealership and have them check it out :)

the_marquis78
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the input, I like hearing the different opinions. I actually haven't had a chance to look at it yet because I've been working 12+ hour days this week. Hopefully this weekend I'm going to sit down and check it out.