PDA

View Full Version : HID Recommendations???

confused2much
02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I am planning on ordering HIDs for my G8 this week, but when I set out to do some research on which company to buy from I wasnt able to pick out a clear winner. I do know that I want a 55w kit not the 35w.

I was looking at buying the kit from gremlyns, but most if not all of the problems I have heard about having to cycle the lights on/off to get both to come on have been with the gremlyn 55w kit. I read that if you have the harness, it should allow enough draw straight from the battery to prevent this from happening. Although, I have seen post where people claimed it still happened from time to time.

I am just curious if there is anyone willing to share their experiences with me to help me get some lights ordered this week. As always, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Do we have any vendors on this board that sell 55w HIDs, a search did not return any results that I noticed.

JerzeyGT
02-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I have the 35w 8000k from gremlyn and I love it... With any vehicle with auto lights your going to have that issue with only one or neither of the headlights going on when starting up... To get around this I just use my remote start to start my car(since u have to be ontop of the car for the remote start to work anyway) then when you put the key in that lights go on.. no prob.. I had the same issue with the hids on my silverado(different company).. I just put the ebrake on all the time when starting.. but this trick doesnt work with the g8... As far as the harness, I think its just for the 55w kits due to the fact u dont melt your harness....

jetttstream
02-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I chose not to carry 55w because of problems associated with them.

The 35w kits we carry are top notch. And with the 35w we have a super slim ballast well.

Currently our group buy price is $99.99 + 10 ship. We also include the relay harness for direct battery hookup if you chose to go that route.

We can carry 55w--however, like I said the problems with warranty hassles just wasn't worth it.

-Mike

JerzeyGT
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
+ the 35w kit is bright as hell:poof:but not blinding thanks to the projectors

confused2much
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I just wanted to go with the brighter 55w kit since there are a lot of deer in my area that I want to be able to see as well as I possibly can. That was the only reason I wanted to go that route.

confused2much
02-18-2009, 05:48 AM
No one has any input on any 55w kit? Someone has to have one installed and can give some feedback. I also want to thank Mike @ jetttstream for being very helpful and knowledgeable about his 35w kit which I am seriously considering at this point due to lack of info on the 55w kits. Thanks in advance to everyone.

THIRSTYCREW
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I have the 55w in 6000k without the relays since july and everything is all good...

confused2much
02-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I have the 55w in 6000k without the relays since july and everything is all good...

Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear.

piecesparts
02-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm waking this one up again. just got the 09 G8 and want to go for some brightness. The bulbs arre H-11 and I see that Jettstream has a 35W kit. does it fit the H-11 holes? Does it do what we want it to?

confused2much
02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Mike at jettstream was very helpful and answered all my questions. PM him in case he doesnt see your post and he will definately help you out.

piecesparts
02-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Mike at jettstream was very helpful and answered all my questions. PM him in case he doesnt see your post and he will definately help you out.

Would you like to answer a question for me? Did your install of the HID kit remove the auto function on the headlights? I have gotten to a point where I like that feature. Especially when I am rubbing it into my friends wife, that her DODGE Magnum does NOT have that function.

PantherGTBlack
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Would you like to answer a question for me? Did your install of the HID kit remove the auto function on the headlights? I have gotten to a point where I like that feature. Especially when I am rubbing it into my friends wife, that her DODGE Magnum does NOT have that function.

It will still function as normal. I did a HID kit on my car and the auto function works fine.

It's A G8!
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
I have the 55w 6000k HID's and I love them! Really make a difference. I do have the problem with the one on the driver side not turning on some times. I will be getting the harness to see if it helps. I know of a place that sells the ones gremlin sells but cheaper. Pm me if you are interested.

R.Penguin
02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Not to beat the subject to death, but I have used these http://www.speeddemonperformance.com/lukrulwhh11t.html in both cars with HID like results.

It's A G8!
02-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Not to beat the subject to death, but I have used these http://www.speeddemonperformance.com/lukrulwhh11t.html in both cars with HID like results.

No offense but you can not compare HID's to halogen bulbs. You may have change the color of the light but it is not as bright as HID's!:spank:

Schinbone
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I would like to have the HID's also but the headlights on this car are crazy bright factory. Brightest Ive ever had in a car. Is there really that big of a diff?

MAYBEN
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
always when it comes to HIDs...

It's A G8!
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I would like to have the HID's also but the headlights on this car are crazy bright factory. Brightest Ive ever had in a car. Is there really that big of a diff?

Yes!

IREG8
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
what harness did you get from that site?

MichaelG8
03-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what is being done about vehicle start up at night with HIDs. Are you people disabling auto lights?

NYG8GT
03-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I havent seen a way yet to disable the auto lights, and honestly man, its really a non issue. Remove the DRL fuse and youre good to go. You can either remote start the car or you can get in the car and turn the parking lights on before turning the key. Either way, the tiny cons of the situation are far outweighed by the additional light output you get with HID's, not to mention the way they look. I think it gives the car a luxury/upscale touch. Makes me feel even better driving it :)

It's A G8!
03-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what is being done about vehicle start up at night with HIDs. Are you people disabling auto lights?

Just leave it on auto and when you turn your car on they will come on at night by them self. When I unlock the door they also come on. So by the time you sit and start the car they are at full power.

NYG8GT
03-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I turned my entry lighting off so that they dont come on when I unlock the doors, this way during the day when I dont use them they arent coming on only to be turned right back off. Im pretty sure I've read that short cycling them like that reduces the life of the ballast, bulb, or both.

It's A G8!
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
During the day when I unlock my doors they dont come on. But at night they do.

NYG8GT
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
You know what, youre right. I park in a parking garage which is dark enough to make them come on, even during the day. I never really thought of that lol :p

It's A G8!
03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Yea every time I drive under a freeway underpass they come on.

vert
03-30-2009, 11:55 AM

No, I leave mine on auto. You just need to pull the DRL fuse and then they wont turn on during the day. Also, if you lights flash when you lock/unlock the car then you need to go into the DIC under security and disable it. I went with the 55W kit and they are bright so be prepared to adjust to lights down a little or you will be getting flashed. The owners manual explains up/down adjustments.

MichaelG8
04-04-2009, 03:48 PM
So how are the HIDs reacting on start up for you guys that dont do anything about the Auto lights? I mean when you start the car, they dont dim or flash as its being cranked?

EL REY
04-04-2009, 04:26 PM
i was wondering if these are also HID lights...

i get a magazine from tirerack and it showed they had "HIDs" in the back of the catalogue cuz it listed them as 4300 Kelvin and i think the other was 5000 kelvin.. which from what ive read in other forums and etc that that is what HID lights output..

but it seems these were just direct replacements with no other hardware you had to install...

they were made by PIAA and Hella.

It's A G8!
04-04-2009, 05:10 PM
So how are the HIDs reacting on start up for you guys that dont do anything about the Auto lights? I mean when you start the car, they dont dim or flash as its being cranked?

As its being cranked the lights turn off momentarily then come back on.

It's A G8!
04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
i was wondering if these are also HID lights...

i get a magazine from tirerack and it showed they had "HIDs" in the back of the catalogue cuz it listed them as 4300 Kelvin and i think the other was 5000 kelvin.. which from what ive read in other forums and etc that that is what HID lights output..

but it seems these were just direct replacements with no other hardware you had to install...

they were made by PIAA and Hella.

I know of a place that sells them. They aren't PIAA or HELLA but a good kit.PM me if you want a the info.

vert
04-04-2009, 05:54 PM
As its being cranked the lights turn off momentarily then come back on.
Just what he said, they are pretty much instant on. Just remember a HID light starts out dim and then goes bright as it heats up within 2-3 seconds.

MichaelG8
04-05-2009, 02:25 PM
You guys arent worried about the integrity of the ballast with them being turned on/off quickly during start up?

It's A G8!
04-05-2009, 07:25 PM
You guys arent worried about the integrity of the ballast with them being turned on/off quickly during start up?

No,besides they have lifetime warranty