PDA

View Full Version : HID Relay

It's A G8!
02-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Which one do I pull? I pulled both the R11 relay and the F21 fuse and the DRL still turn on. Im I doing something wrong?:hang:

JerzeyGT
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Dumb question but are the lights on or does the green daytime running light icon show up on the cluster

It's A G8!
02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Well the DRL Icon shows up and the lights are also on. My thinking was that once the relay was pulled the light would not turn on during the day. What I think is happening is the lights stay on during the day but at full power instead of the 6v it gets during the day.

JerzeyGT
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
HMM.... I gonna go take a look on what fuse I pulled when I get back from dinner with the woman... You can keep the relay in... I just pulled the fuse and my DRL dont go on.. Ill get back to you...

It's A G8!
02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
I also took out the F21 fuse and nothing. But I will wait to see what you come up with. Thanks

JerzeyGT
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
WOW its cold outside.... OK first I would put that relay back... Ok took a look.. just to make sure your taking these fuses out from the block thats by the hood release? Take that panel off, If you looking at the fuse block on the bottom right going left you will see two (gray) 2 amp fuses 1(yellow) 20 amp then a blue 15 amp... pull the 15 amp... the icon will still be on the cluster... let me know how you make out...

It's A G8!
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
So your talking about a panel inside the car? Not in the engine bay?

JerzeyGT
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
yes... the panel on the inside of the car is where u need to pull the fuse from... sorry it took so long to get back... I was installing my floor... Let me know how u made out

It's A G8!
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I found it. Thanks! I wont see the car during the day till the weekend. I will ask my wife to check for me. She has it during the day.

JerzeyGT
02-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Nice... dont forget to put that relay and other fuse back....

Ktlplxm
02-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Why are you pulling the fusesor relays anyway? Just wondering

JerzeyGT
02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Why are you pulling the fusesor relays anyway? Just wondering

Its recommended when you install HID's... I think so you you dont fry the HID ballasts... I know the DRLs run off the same bulb as the headlight but I think they run at lower voltage.. I could be wrong.. I removed the drl fuse because the directions said to do so....

It's A G8!
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Its recommended when you install HID's... I think so you you dont fry the HID ballasts... I know the DRLs run off the same bulb as the headlight but I think they run at lower voltage.

Yes this is true! It will fry the ballast.

4 DOR VTT
02-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I just installed the Jettstream 35 Watt kit and the relay harness. Well no matther what I do I have issues with the lights firing every time, about 50% of the time I have to cycle them to get them to work.
I pulled fuse 21 the DRL fuse, what else can I do to aleavate this concern?
I double and triple checked all the grounds.

syP
02-21-2009, 04:46 PM
make sure you are pulling the right one... IIRC i was under the steering column and one of the relays was hiding behind the side of the panel... so i pulled the wrong one initially..

make sure you stick your head all the way in there and count the number of relays from the edge and make sure you are pulling the right one.

All i did was pull THAT relay... icon stayed on.. but headlights did not turn on until night time.

GREAT success :)

only thing you gotta do at night so you dont flicker the HIDs is either

a) remote start the car
b) hold the lights to the "OFF" posistion while staring the car, then turn it back to auto.

Ktlplxm
02-21-2009, 05:25 PM
You don't have to pull a fuse if you get what they call a "smart relay". It converts the variable 6V-12V signal to a constant 12V. Thats why I asked about the "pulling" earlier. I've had mine in and running since october with no problems and nothing removed

4 DOR VTT
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Ok guys I got it working 95% of the time, one still fails from timt tot time. If you cycle off then back on all is ok but I need them to come on like factory 99.99% of the time..
Anyone else having issues with the digital ballists?
I have Denso in my Trailblazer SS and never have an issue with them, just wondering if this is what I have to expect from these HID's?

pha|anx
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
bump, on-topic:

would getting a relay harness for say a 35-watt kit negate the necessity to pull the DRL fuse? I don't like the fact that to get lights on you'd have to flip the dash switch over to use every light in the damn car including rear brake lights 100% just to get a DRL effect... not a fan of showing off HID's in the daytime either (had em' in my Grand Prix before)

:confused:

MichaelG8
03-29-2009, 03:10 PM
alright so my question was finally answered about starting the vehicle at night with HIDs. I think I have finally decided NOT to go the HID route. Way too much hassle. My halogens are fine.

NYG8GT
03-29-2009, 03:43 PM
pha|anx, Im not sure on the harness and if that circumvents the DRL's, that is a good question though and something I think we need a vendor or electrical whiz to answer for us. Pulling the fuse is a lot easier than installing the harness anyways so I just did it that way lol :)

And Mike, as I said in the other thread....

I havent seen a way yet to disable the auto lights, and honestly man, its really a non issue. Remove the DRL fuse and youre good to go. You can either remote start the car or you can get in the car and turn the parking lights on before turning the key. Either way, the tiny cons of the situation are far outweighed by the additional light output you get with HID's, not to mention the way they look. I think it gives the car a luxury/upscale touch. Makes me feel even better driving it :)

pha|anx
04-01-2009, 10:32 AM
You don't have to pull a fuse if you get what they call a "smart relay". It converts the variable 6V-12V signal to a constant 12V. Thats why I asked about the "pulling" earlier. I've had mine in and running since october with no problems and nothing removed

bump;

I don't know how I missed this the first time, but I think it warrants another post. what is a 'smart' relay? would that be just the same as plugging a 12v relay into the socket, or what is it exactly? linkage? I hate pulling fuses for stupid HID's... brings back bad memories with cheap kits and my last car.

pha|anx
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
bump;

I don't know how I missed this the first time, but I think it warrants another post. what is a 'smart' relay? would that be just the same as plugging a 12v relay into the socket, or what is it exactly? linkage? I hate pulling fuses for stupid HID's... brings back bad memories with cheap kits and my last car.

er, :bump:

Ktlplxm
04-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Sorry guys, seldom look at this particular thread, my bad. No it isn't the same as just plugging a 12 volt relay in. It is actually a relay that, while functioning as a relay, also functions as a signal converter thus providing the ballast with the constant 12V signal they require. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer and part number for ya. As I said earlier, mine have been fully functional with NO issues what so ever, no fuses pulled or relays removed.

JerzeyGT
04-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Sorry guys, seldom look at this particular thread, my bad. No it isn't the same as just plugging a 12 volt relay in. It is actually a relay that, while functioning as a relay, also functions as a signal converter thus providing the ballast with the constant 12V signal they require. I'll see if I can find the manufacturer and part number for ya. As I said earlier, mine have been fully functional with NO issues what so ever, no fuses pulled or relays removed.

So your Hid's are your daytime running lights also???