PDA

View Full Version : Full Size Spare for GXP

ktulu
02-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if the following question has already been asked, but I ran a search of the forum and came up empty. I am about to take delivery of a GXP in a few weeks and I'm concerned about the lack of a spare tire. GM including goop and a compressor is, in my opinion, a complete farce. Donut spares are also off the table for me. I've never owned a car without a full size spare and I'm not about to start. So, my question is, what wheel will fit and clear the Brembos on the front? I know there are many options when it comes to wheels for the GT, and if the same wheels will work, Tire Rack has one on clearance that will work just fine. But I don't want to order a wheel and tire only to find out it's useless if I have a flat on a front wheel. Have any GXP owners tried different wheels, for a spare or otherwise? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Great forum, by the way.

-Ray-
02-15-2009, 04:37 AM
In a few weeks you'll be able to buy a full sized tire and wheel as other owners upgrade their wheels. Pace has a kit for the jack and related parts.

ktulu
02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
You are of course correct, but I don't want to have to pay for an extra OEM wheel just to sit in the trunk 99.9% of the time. I'll admit I haven't looked to see if anyone is selling the OEM wheels off their GXP yet, but I find it hard to imagine that they would let them go for as (comparatively) low a price as I can get a cheap wheel and cheap tire in the proper size. I just need something that will work for the short time that it takes to get to a tire shop, but that could be a few days to weeks if, say, I need to order a new tire after a blowout. Anyway, thanks so much for the response. I posed this question on the other forum days ago and no one there has deigned to respond. Guess I know where to go for actual information.

bowtiefan
02-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I think a stock 18" or 19" wheel from the base sedan and GT would work with the GXP. I would check with your dealer just to make sure. If it does, that would be a good option for a spare and they are not too expensive and somewhat easy to find on the fourms and ebay.

sccaGTO
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
The last good photo I have of a GXP seems to show just enough room for a factory 18" wheel to give the calipers enough room. Some aftermarket wheels have smaller barrels (the actual part of the wheel that makes up the "width" of the wheel). The smaller barrels will be too close to the calipers. I've seen people swap wheels & the aftermarket wheels were the same diameter but wouldn't fit because of the barrel design.