PDA

View Full Version : OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report problem.

G8GT594
08-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Anyone else use this feature? Figure id to it because of a year free.

Anyways for a while it has not work. I uploaded a pic. Just wanted to see if anyone else has been getting the same thing. I wonder if the Tune has anything to do with it. I doubt it though. Don't really care if it works. Just was curious.

MANOFSTEEL69
08-19-2008, 03:40 AM
I just recieved mine a couple of days ago, and it seemed to report just fine. The oil life matched what the car had.....I don't believe it tells you anything unless there is a problem.

-Ray-
08-19-2008, 03:49 AM
I need to push that blue button still. LOL

EC-Ryder
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Nah! It isn’t worth it to have big brother watching over your shoulder. I wish I had never done it. LOL!

But on the positive side I have only 8 months more to endure.

But that’s just me!

Cheers!

Mav
09-03-2008, 06:53 AM
is the light on your rearview mirror green or red? If it's red then your onstar backup battery is dead and needs replacement. That's really the only reason I can figure that it's not working/communicating.

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 06:57 AM
is the light on your rearview mirror green or red? If it's red then your onstar backup battery is dead and needs replacement. That's really the only reason I can figure that it's not working/communicating.

Agreed.

macgto
09-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Agreed.

If that was the case, would not his diagnostic reports show an error with the OnStar system? I mean, if OnStar can't communicate with itself, why would his report show the OnStar system to be functioning properly?

mac

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Yea, it would seem so.

OP- with your car running push the Onstar button and ask them to run a diagnostic for you. Maybe the issue was a fluke?

xfactor
09-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I have had this on my 07 Tahoe for two years now. I love it, mainly because my wife drives it and they email it to my work. The page seen is the main page and if you click on the items they will go into more detail (except I don't think yours will as it looks like a communications error). The idea behind it is for the manufacture to gather data and then see what parts are failing prematurely and they can go back to the original vendors or departments and have them improve the parts. In the long run it should same the consumers, us, money and more importantly time.

I agree with everyones suggestion, push the button. they can do a diagnostic while on the phone with you. my guess, something is disconnected and they will direct you to a dealer. I don't know if the tuning affects the communications but it could be. Hey, you guys with tuning kits what say you?

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Not the tune, at least mine doesn't affect it.

p71
09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I had the same issue with my 07 silverado and a tune and my 07 A'lanche and a tune. I think that maybe the Onstar might have been disabled in the software to prevent big brother from seeing that the vehicle was out of spec. If you did a diagnostic with the person on the phone it showed no problems... and if you removed the tune it reported back fine...

A couple of other things were hinky for a while... cruise control and traction control did not work right the first time I turned the car on with the tune, and the cruise did not work the first time after the tune was removed...

Weird stuff happns with tunes... not really the tuners fault... it is just that new vehicle systems are so intergrated it is somtimes dificult to predict what a little change in the TCM will do to the BCM will do to the onstar module... (or other combinations to that effect).

G8GT594
09-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Nope its green i believe. Ill take it look at it on friday when i get the car back.