PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Texas World Speedway?

hagarr
08-07-2013, 10:27 AM
So I have always wanted to go do a high performance driving event out there and finally signed up for DriversEdge for the Sept 28/29 class. Although we all think we are Steve McQueen, the reality is we are probably incompetent and underestimate the laws of physics.

I am planning on using the G8 in it's current form - mods below along with street tires. I may go ahead and get better pads though - Hawk HPS.

Are there any words of wisdom that I should heed?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

TonyKarter
08-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Yes, brakes! I've run the 2.56 mile road course configuration in the shifterkart in IKF Southwest Road Racing Association's events there, both clockwise and counter-clockwise. IMHO I'd have to say that brakes are the weak link on this particular track, simply due to having to haul it down from the great speeds that can be attained there. This will be even more of an issue if they are going to run any of the high bank turns. We don't in the karts, but I hope you get to! Be especially careful in your setup of the turns just after crossing the back straight that will take you outside and behind the oval track. The road course rises as it goes across the back straight, and then drops away, unsettling the car...not good for an almost 90 degree turn entry.

The most challenging part of the course? The 90 degree semi-sweeper right before going across the back straight when running counter clock-wise. That turn is famous for separating the men from the boys. In karts it is taken between 90-100mph...and you can't let off if you get scared as this will lead to an oversteer spin. Probably the same in a car too. So you have to stay in the gas, accelerating if you are to have any chance of staying on track and with the pack. If a man cannot, he can't contend at the front...and that is why I run mid-pack in any race at this track! That turn is the only turn that I can't run the way it has to be done to be truly considered a racer. Its just that scary! Probably the same in cars too.[/I] I hope you have the balls to do it right. I broke the kart once right before this turn on the second lap of a race and got to sit and watch exactly how the serious racers take this turn and do it right. Man, when done right it is a thing of beauty: There were about 8-10 karts all bunched up and they would never lift, going through it like on rails. As the race wore on and their tires went away they would 4-wheel drift through it. PLEASE BE CAREFUL in this turn, but carve it up right! Some in car footage would be nice! You are going to be in some very nice garages there too, but better get there EARLY if you want to have a chance to get one of them. Also, take everything you need. There is not much out that far from town. And take a big fan.

hagarr
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Excellent! What great feedback. I really appreciate the insight. It doesn't look like the track direction has been determined yet but I have been watching some in car videos (G8 drivers too) and it looks like a lot of fun. Hauling a fat car down from some fairly high speeds will put a really hurting on the brakes.

My goal is to get a good feel for the car and learn the basics before I put a McQueen hat on.

I know there is a kart track just south west of me (Cypress, TX) between I-10 and 290. Have you ever been out there?

Thanks
Brian

TonyKarter
08-09-2013, 03:04 PM
No, I didn't know there was one there. it may be a sprint track. Since I never ran sprints I have not kept up with that karting group. What is the name of it? Do you have a link?

hagarr
08-10-2013, 05:40 AM
It seems to be a pretty busy place. I haven't made it out there to spectate since I am usually pretty busy with church on Sundays.
Here is a link - http://www.racekarts.com/directions-to-gulf-coast-karters-katy-tx.html

Brian

TonyKarter
08-10-2013, 09:03 AM
YOU MEAN THE KATY TRACK!!! Yes, I know exactly where you are talking about. That is the track I went to when I first got interested in karts back in the mid-90's. I was a member of GCKI there for a couple of years. I cut my kart teeth on that track. Before they increased the size of the track by adding the part that turns right to go out to the road, and then back to tie into the old track...before that, Katy was the toughest track in the nation to drive. Without that new section added there was no place to get a breather, to relax for a couple of seconds. And because it was so tight it was very physical to horse a 125cc kart around it. I'd run about five laps and just pull into the pits. I'd be too exhausted to get out of the kart right away. I never raced a race there. Sprint kart racing is only for the young and most fit. It is very intense, and too close racing for me, bumping and nerfing, you can tear a kart up real quick. The Mario Andretti wanna-bees will run right over you to win and advance their racing careers. Not for me. I like road racing with a bunch of laid-back karters at TWS MUCH better. The much higher speeds lend caution to the race mentality, and karts stay away from each other as the consequences of not doing so would be catastrophic. Hence, fewer accidents. However, if you want to train to race...at any level...Katy kart track is the place to do it. I have been told that a few of the ALMS and Rolex series guys have trained in karts there to build their stamina. The guy I bought my kart from was legend there. Everybody else ran in the 28's on the old layout. Leroy was the only person to ever run in the 27's there. Next time you go look at the beams holding up the tin roofs on the pit covers. As he held the lap record there they gave him the pit closest to the concession stand and bathrooms! They printed his name on the beam above his slot...the only person to have a reserved pit space.