PDA

View Full Version : Power Adders

GRRRR8
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
If it is Boosted or Sprayed and you have it, seen it or have questions about it, lets hear it.

MANOFSTEEL69
08-19-2008, 03:38 AM
Lots of questions about it......I've never had a "juiced" ride, and am pretty unfamiliar with the whole set-up and operation of it. Not to mention the potential risks to the motor? Advantages or disadvantages compared to a supercharger?

GRRRR8
08-19-2008, 04:28 AM
I like all power adders. I have instaled them all. N20 is the best bang for the buck......,but it should be used in moderation(100-125 shot) on a stock short block.

G8V8
08-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Charlie, aren't you a Power Adder? You do on my G8!

GRRRR8
08-19-2008, 05:49 AM
Some would say so!

JDP G8GT
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
:deadhorse:
Sorry guys, I know I have asked this questions countless times, but it always develops into possibilities with potential boost increases. My concern is that I don't plan on adding anything to increase my boost over the stock rating the chargers provide (whatever one I choose). So, if I decided to had a charger, I believe procharger is around ~8 psi and the maggie is 6.5 but have heard that because there is so much pressure from the beginning that the high end is just as stressful on the internals as the rpm dependent ATI. So if I get one of those adders, along with long tubes and cat backs and a tune what do you guys think would happen to my engine. I don't go to the track, and would like to be able to retain AFM, just looking for something to beat out competitive stock cars on the street once and awhile and satisfy the temptation to let her rip on an empty stretch. GRRRR8 mentioned that the rear end should hold up to 500hp and 450trq... so once and for all, will my engine/drivetrain last me 100k? Am I going to have to rebuild after 24-36k... I know I know that it's on a case by case basis and I'm sorry for the repetition of this question i've just never modded a car before and don't know much about it besides for my research and your comments...

-Ray-
08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
My suggestion is to wait for a while to see what happens to the other guys cars that attempt to boost them. I couldn't expect myself to not use power that was there.
I'm going to the do all the usual bolt on stuff and see where that leads. So...my plan is to stay NA for at least a year. I would want a back up motor or car if the ability to tear up the one I have is there.

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Let someone else be the lab rat 1st. I think we are going to see the N/A cars are not going to be that far off the FI cars and the N/A cars will last longer for sure due to less torque.

Chewy
08-20-2008, 07:49 AM
:deadhorse:
Sorry guys, I know I have asked this questions countless times, but it always develops into possibilities with potential boost increases. My concern is that I don't plan on adding anything to increase my boost over the stock rating the chargers provide (whatever one I choose). So, if I decided to had a charger, I believe procharger is around ~8 psi and the maggie is 6.5 but have heard that because there is so much pressure from the beginning that the high end is just as stressful on the internals as the rpm dependent ATI. So if I get one of those adders, along with long tubes and cat backs and a tune what do you guys think would happen to my engine. I don't go to the track, and would like to be able to retain AFM, just looking for something to beat out competitive stock cars on the street once and awhile and satisfy the temptation to let her rip on an empty stretch. GRRRR8 mentioned that the rear end should hold up to 500hp and 450trq... so once and for all, will my engine/drivetrain last me 100k? Am I going to have to rebuild after 24-36k... I know I know that it's on a case by case basis and I'm sorry for the repetition of this question i've just never modded a car before and don't know much about it besides for my research and your comments...

If all you want to do is beat people on the street then get nitrous and put a 100 shot into her. WAY cheaper the FI and you get great gains.

On a side note:
I am going to get a 12DC-110VAC inverter and hook up a leaf blower to my intake. Should see some good gains with that setup.

Just think of the sound that leaf blower will make...:worthy:

:rofl:

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
:wtf: :brain:

JDP G8GT
08-20-2008, 10:20 AM
You guys are probably right, but considering it is a daily driver and I do like the idea of the silent stealth possibilities I'm not such a big fan of the cam lope, perhaps if i had waited to get the new camaro of the challenger, if the ss/srts were not over forty thousand the cam noise would have fit perfectly with those cars, i just don't think it fits with this sedan, i'm looking forward to friday though when new era tests and post clips of the two cams so i can see if it wont be as loud as the first video. Perhaps i'll just wait a few years and safe up so i can strengthen the parts of my engine that are the most concerned with the pressure from a charger, I mean considering we did pay to get the extended warranty it would probably not be a good idea to void that as soon as possible... so it might just be the basic add ons for awhile, headers, cat-back, CAI, tune, suspension, while saving money for the moment it looses its warranty.

JDP G8GT
08-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Isn't adding nitrous just as much as a risk to your engine as other stuff? I'm sorry, i've never considered nitrous as a possibility, i've always thought of that as a little too "fast and the furious" to me, sorry, i'm very new to this scene and know very little about anything...

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Everything is a risk, but N20 is only useed when you activate it. When properly installed and tuned it is 1 of the best bangs for the $$$

EC-Ryder
08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
If all you want to do is beat people on the street then get nitrous and put a 100 shot into her. WAY cheaper the FI and you get great gains.

On a side note:
I am going to get a 12DC-110VAC inverter and hook up a leaf blower to my intake. Should see some good gains with that setup.

Just think of the sound that leaf blower will make...:worthy:

:rofl:

LMAO!

:theman:

U can always borrow Charlie’s, he fessed up he has one as he claims to dry his car, but now we may finally know the rest of the story…LOL!

Cheers!

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 07:22 PM
7 Tornados and a leaf blower is almost 10lb of boost! LOL :prostock:

JDP G8GT
08-23-2008, 10:49 AM
So... I know the whine of the supercharger is addictive to some, but I really like the idea of stealth. My main concern is at idle, especially the procharger. I really like both the procharger and the maggie and am completely torn between the two, but as silly as it might sound, the annoying high pitched whistle on prochargers at idle i've heard from cars on youtube is awful and would drive me nuts, it sounds like belts rubbing or something... Has anyone found a way to silence that noise at idle. I know charlie said that he prefers the air to air for mild hp numbers and some of you have told me the procharger would be best for those competitive highway runs. But really, I couldnt deal with that whine... Are the new systems any quieter, Perhaps the pedders sponsor could chime in on this considering they actually have the procharger system on our car. I've heard the new TVS systems are especially quite, which i think is cool. Please i'm not starting a procharger, roots, debate so please don't yell at me to search other forums or whatnot. just filling time while we wait for other mods to come out...

wreckwriter
08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
They say the new Maggies are far quieter than last year's.

GRRRR8
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I think a ProCharger P1SC is not too bad for noise, but that air to air intercooler is hard to beat!

lsp408
08-28-2008, 08:49 PM
if i am going to put any power adder on my car, i want the loudest motherf***er i can get. the blower noise is so sexy to me. i have erection everytime i hear one!!!:D:ls:

EcoBrick Bob
08-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Can Leaf Blower Intake be modified to dry car when parked???

RRM

:postwhore:

Chewy
08-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Can Leaf Blower Intake be modified to dry car when parked???

RRM

:postwhore:

Absolutely! I am working on a hose system like a lot of vacuums have where you pull the hose off to dry the car and then plug it back when you're ready to drive. The only thing is you'll want to run 110vac from the house into the blower as your battery would die a quick death without the engine running. You will also have to lift the hood to get to the hose.

Should work pretty well plus my stage 2 mod is to pump nitrous into the blower intake which would give a slightly higher HP increase.

Let me know how many would like to have one. I am in the process of sourcing the parts. Not sure if I am going to go with a Toro or Weed Eater brand blower. Need to check epinions.com and see what the opinions of both are.

EcoBrick Bob
08-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Gas or Electric Model??? Combined with the underdrive pulley, could we have a power issue???

Chewy
08-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Gas or Electric Model??? Combined with the underdrive pulley, could we have a power issue???

Definetely electric as I don't want to pre-mix. Plus electrical will have a cool whine without the engine masking it...

I think Toro will win out because it's red. I think green would look odd.

I will also have custom painted ones available for 50 bucks more.

wreckwriter
08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Charlie and others with experience, please discuss nitrous in a bit more detail. I contacted a guy today who apparently supplied the system seen on the other board recently. He told me I had 2 choices for the G8:

Single nozzle
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=14&model=37&dept=11&product_id=802

OR

Plate System
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=14&model=37&dept=11&product_id=1138

He recommended the plate system.

Please discuss such things :)

EcoBrick Bob
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Problem in IA is that "Everything is John Deere Green".

Q. Would Nitrous be more effective with the "leaf blower" injection???

RRM

:poof::poof::poof:

-Ray-
08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Not very descriptive. I'd find another web site. Not me, my G8 won't be bottle fed.

wreckwriter
08-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I want to keep all my options open and study each one before I decide. I'm leaning against bottle myself but the numbers don't lie. Did you see the dyno sheet that guy posted on the other board?

JDP G8GT
08-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm with wreck! I would love to hear from the more experienced about nitrous, all of my experience with it has been seen through fast and the furious and need for speed games. i know... i know... i should just :hang:

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Here's the kit the guy on the other board that dynoed at 550 or similar is using:

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product_details.asp?group=33&model=135&dept=11&product_id=2796

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Sorry Tom I missed that. Nos is awesome. I would not do more then a 100shot regularly or a 150 shot well tuned every blue moon. Once the motor is built for it spray away. The plate systems are always the best. Remember the intale is plastic. 1 backfire while spraying there goes the intake.

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Yea, that guy is running 150 which I think is a bit risky without forged pistons. I bet a 100 shot would give a nice boost for the money though.

How hard would a system like that be to install? I assume some tune tweaks would be needed too?

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
100 shot plate you just put a bigger jet in the fuel side to play it safe. Then Ck A/F and adjust fuel jet so you have a 11.0-11.3 A/F on the juice

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
OK, so the only tuning needed is tuning the kit? Interesting. 1/8 mile road and a spark plug wrench :)

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
With Nos you will probably want to do full 1/4 mile passes do to you wont be spraying it out of the hole unless you use a progressive controller.

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 02:30 PM
With Nos you will probably want to do full 1/4 mile passes do to you wont be spraying it out of the hole unless you use a progressive controller.

But I get the same amount of shifts in the 8th as quarter, only difference is that I don't bring the RPM up as high in 3rd. I would think 1/8 would be enough for decent plug readings, no? Actually I would probably shut it off at the top in 2nd if all was doing was plug reads.