PDA

View Full Version : Rumormill: GM slashing Pontiac G8 production by 97%

Mav
02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
:wacko:

Originally Posted by Autoblog

The Pontiac G8 has received mainly positive reviews since it first hit roads here in the U.S. last year. Unfortunately, what it hasn't gotten a lot of is actual sales. The usual combination of high gas prices in the first half of 2008 and the financial crisis in the second half has hit the G8 particularly hard. It looks like Pontiac will give the G8 almost the same treatment as it gave the Saturn Astra. While Saturn chose to skip the entire 2009 model year because of the high number of left-over '08 Astras they still had on hand, the 2009 G8 is at least being built, but barely.

According to an insider at the GM Source, it now appears that Feb-June 2009 production volumes of the G8 are being cut from a planned 10,000 units to under 1,000. That's a 97% reduction versus projection, and July-October volumes are evidently also being cut by 79% from earlier production schedules. As much as the hardcore among us may have cheered Maximum Bob Lutz's plan to transform Pontiac into a rear-drive performance brand, it looks like the marketplace just isn't interested. Perhaps if GM had the spare cash to market the brand properly, it could be viable. In all likelihood, the G8's days are numbered just like the GTO before it, and possibly the Pontiac brand as well.

Slizzo
02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
:wacko:

Unfortunately for Autoblog, they can't do math.

10,000 units to 1,000 units does not equal 97%. It equals 90%. :flame:

GT G8
02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
:hang:

liquidred1
02-12-2009, 04:16 PM
I know its a big "IF" but, IF the economy turns around in a year or so, would the g8 possibly become more valuable (resale wise) in the future? such a limited production from 10,000 to 1,000 would make the car kind of rare wouldnt it?

95_9C1
03-08-2009, 12:16 AM
rare...i hope not

i wouldn't want parts to become too expen$ive

DQGTO
03-08-2009, 12:37 AM
hmm...idk...i hope this really isnt credible nor does it really happen...but we will see i guess

EC-Ryder
03-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Hmm…Interesting conundrum…Lot of forces at work here with some unknown variable outcomes. But if I’m force to guess I would guess our cars will have good value that will eventually be recognized some years from now, for the simple reason that in order to survive, all auto makers will have to make cheaper cars.

Cheaper car with less options, cheaper materials, switches, paint jobs etc. They have to get the price of an affordable car to 10k while still paying for the expensive steel, oil, materials and labor that it took to make our cars with borrowed money.

Even though the prices for steel, copper, oil, etc, is lower now, they just don’t have the money or are not able to borrow the money to secure long term contracts to make our cars that much cheaper so the answer is to make less G8’s.

Will they go away? I think it’s too early to speculate on that right now, I would think that BMW, MB, Lexus will have even more problems.

There are an awful lot of bankers, stock brokers and real state buzzards that will have to switch from Bimmers and Maseratis to driving tractors, putting the remainder of them making a lot less money into our cars...Provided GM can survive or sell the brand.

I don’t think this is fully reflected right now on account of all the bailout money and they are scooping up what they believe are great Bimmer prices with severance and the last of their bonus money, but once that bailout money evaporates I don’t think the taxpayer will be able to do another round and THEN…AND THEN…Reality hits…:shf:

Either way parts should become cheaper, so I’m not worried and I’m holding on to mine as long as I can keep it in one piece LOL!

Cheers!

Panzer Leader
04-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Need to change the marketing strategy. And better train the sales forces at the dealerships. "If they drive it, they will buy."

R.Penguin
04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Mmmmmm, posted 2/12/09. Apparently nobody here got too excited either. :p

-Ray-
04-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Mmmmmm, posted 2/12/09. Apparently nobody here got too excited either. :p

Panzer hit about 20 threads yesterday.
Serial poster.

Panzer Leader
04-15-2009, 04:38 AM
G8 Ray, so many questions, so little time. Actually, this is my first "American" car or rather partly American car since my 6000STE.

mario1956
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Panzer, Panzer !!! G8Ray is a V6 hater and you drive one of those foul, less MPG, 2 second slower vehicles. How dare you attempt to speak at the V8 level!!! Go back to where you belong. :) :spank:

-Ray-
04-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Panzer, Panzer !!! G8Ray is a V6 hater and you drive one of those foul, less MPG, 2 second slower vehicles. How dare you attempt to speak at the V8 level!!! Go back to where you belong. :) :spank:

Not true, my previous vehicle was a G6.

EC-Ryder
04-21-2009, 05:54 AM
LOL!

I think he's taking a short cut to becoming a senor member!

Panzer Leader
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey the V8 is OK, I love push rod engines and Active Fuel Management but when it comes down to it, on the open road, its handling and steering that matter. The V6 rides on the FE2 also. The DI V6 will be a great car, especially if they put the 6 speed MT in it. 90 MPH is 90 MPH in a 6 or an 8. We 6 cylinders really appreciate you 8 cylinder types clearing the state troopers for us. Mario1956, I'll wave as I go by.

bigtreepu
04-25-2009, 05:05 AM
Hey the V8 is OK, I love push rod engines and Active Fuel Management but when it comes down to it, on the open road, its handling and steering that matter. The V6 rides on the FE2 also. The DI V6 will be a great car, especially if they put the 6 speed MT in it. 90 MPH is 90 MPH in a 6 or an 8. We 6 cylinders really appreciate you 8 cylinder types clearing the state troopers for us. Mario1956, I'll wave as I go by.

But like you said. 90 mph is 90 mph. Doesn't matter to the state troopers! :)

~Matt

Mav
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Can someone edit the title to "100%." Heh...

-Ray-
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Since this is an old thread, it can be closed also.