PDA

View Full Version : P0445 (Gas Cap leaks) took to dealer

HVYCHVY
06-28-2013, 08:17 PM
After getting the dreaded CHL code P0445, I decided to take the car to the dealer for a new cap. After explaining the situation with the gas caps, the SM dug through the vehicle history and found the Gas Cap problem. He explained to get the work done,, the 'tech' would have to troubleshoot the system, and if they found nothing wrong, I would have to pay the troubleshooting fee ($150ish) What the hell, I had them do the trpubleshooting. About 30 minutes later, the SM said the cap was good to go, and they could reset code, or dig deeper into the Evap system. I chose the reset and was on my way. When I get home I started looking into the paperwork they gave me and noticed something odd.19360 19361

Unless I am reading it wrong, the new cap doesn't have the symbols, just the writing in blue. My current cap has the symbols as seen on the left of att.2. Should I go back to the dealership tomorrow and have them order, or see if they'll order the new design cap, or just buy my own on the web? It is embarassing to have a new car and spin the cap 5 times to keep the cap tight. (damn gravitational pull)

HVY

WickedMom
06-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I know they did change the color of the print on the caps when they updated them, way back when...

But I thought 449 pertained to a evap leak and 445 was more evap canister related?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

STL_G8GT
06-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Just buy it online and be done.... I got the same line of bs and just bought it from Greg at Pace... Problem solved!!

HVYCHVY
06-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Wicked, per the paperwork, P0455 Evap Emission Large leak detected, while a p0442 is a small leak detected. Does the Southern Hemisphere cars have the gas cap problems? I'll probably call Greg and order new cap and be done with it.

WickedMom
06-28-2013, 09:35 PM
There is a special policy warranty on the gas caps.

That's a step away from a recall. Someone with access to the gm stuff should be able to provide the numbers. I don't think I posted it back when.

TonyKarter
06-29-2013, 05:32 AM
Wouldn't this be an opportunity for our GM representative to step in here and see if they can help?

Zodiac
06-29-2013, 05:51 AM
HVYCHVY,

Truly sorry to hear of your concerns. Please let me know if you'd need to make a dealership appointment. I'd be more than happy to do that for you. Feel free to message me anytime and reference your concerns if you choose to do so.

GM Customer Care

-Ray-
06-29-2013, 05:55 AM
There is a special policy warranty on the gas caps.

That's a step away from a recall. Someone with access to the gm stuff should be able to provide the numbers. I don't think I posted it back when.

The gas cap warranty was moved to 80k miles. My dealership ordered one for my G8.

LDM
06-29-2013, 06:03 AM
HVYCHVY,

Truly sorry to hear of your concerns. Please let me know if you'd need to make a dealership appointment. I'd be more than happy to do that for you. Feel free to message me anytime and reference your concerns if you choose to do so.

GM Customer Care

lol

STL_G8GT
06-29-2013, 06:05 AM
HVYCHVY,

GM Customer Care

Didn't read the author at first, too funny.

Zodiac
06-29-2013, 06:27 AM
I figured someone had to step up.

HVYCHVY
06-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Didn't read the original post either Good one Zodiac. :) Done went to dealer, I have old flue design cap but since it has blue symbols, theye think it's good to go. Obviously the SM didn't look at cap either. This is the same dealer that took 25 minutes to reset the oil life monitor after my last oil change. 5 service managers, a tech, computer printout instructions, and they whipped out the owners manual. Maybe, I need to find a new dealership or an ex BOP dealer to service my ride.

G8 GT V8
06-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Didn't read the original post either Good one Zodiac. :) Done went to dealer, I have old flue design cap but since it has blue symbols, theye think it's good to go. Obviously the SM didn't look at cap either. This is the same dealer that took 25 minutes to reset the oil life monitor after my last oil change. 5 service managers, a tech, computer printout instructions, and they whipped out the owners manual. Maybe, I need to find a new dealership or an ex BOP dealer to service my ride.

I would just buy a new one and put it on. You'll spend more time and gas money running around messing with the incompetent dealership service bozos than what a new cap costs. Just installed the new one that I ordered and it was a piece of cake. Just my 2 cents...I absolutely hate waiting on and dealing with dealerhip service unless I have to.

EcoBrick Bob
06-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Both of mine do this. If they sit for a couple weeks... they will throw codes. If I give it about a 3 turn twist, the issue goes away, till it sits a couple weeks. My 02' Vette also had this issue, as did my friend's 2 Vette Conv... I like my G8's but friend just went up scale in 2008 to a BMW 650 Conv... and presto.. no more codes!

I just credit it to GM ....TYPICAL!!! Why not a simple recall???? WHY?????

I have had over 35 NEW GM vehicles since 1964. My dad had 26 new Cadillacs, besides lots of Buick, Pontiac and Olds business vehicles. With what the Bankruptcy did to the Bond Holders and gave the Union all the marbles... These two really great vehicles are my last two GM cars.. PERIOD....

WhatNext
06-29-2013, 11:25 PM
This caused the G8 to fail the state inspection yesterday because a fault code was saved even though no dash light ever showed. They thought it was because it doesn't get driven much too. The code was cleared and I drove it 50 miles checking it at 30 and then again at 50 but the reset didn't fully complete so back I go!

What a pain, the wife was livid because the inspection runs out tomorrow (I forgot) and reamed me anew one. Ordered a new cap for $14 but the s&h is another $12.

Napalm
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I get both codes from time to time.

Most clear with a battery cable pull, but occasionally I check it with HP tuners. This has gone on for 4 weeks now. I fill up every weekend, go the week, rinse repeat. I have 104+K on the clock now.

Anyway - this last weekend I put some dielectric grease on the gasket (rubber ring) of the cap. My car throws the code approximately when I get to 3/4 of the tank. so it usually take 2 days to get there.

I even tighten the thing to 4 or 5 clicks when I put it back - but I will see if it helps.

Anyone ever replace the gas cap and not have the code come back? Its a real pain since having a code disables the remote start, pain in the azz in the summer

Greg@PacePerformance
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
The GM parts catalog still lists cap# 92232541. The parts department should not order this one as it is not the correct one. Order 92251462 as seen below

New Cap

Old Caps

Parts Information:
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Part Number - Description

92251462 - Fuel Tank Filler Cap
92233087 - Label (Canadian Vehicles Only)

 1. Check if either of the following DTC’s have been logged (may be present or in history)
◦P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected
◦P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected
– If above DTC’s are present or in history and the vehicle is NOT fitted with a 92251462 fuel tank filler cap (blue writing), proceed to Step 2.
– If the above DTCs are present or in history and the vehicle IS fitted with a new design 92215462 fuel tank filler cap (blue writing), refer to Evaporative Emission System Diagnostic information in SI prior to replacing fuel tank filler cap.
 2. Remove the fuel tank filler cap and tether; discard both.
 3. Install a new fuel tank filler cap and tether.
— For Canadian vehicles fit label 92233087 to the inside of hinged fuel door.

 4. Clear DTCs and check system.

WhatNext
07-03-2013, 01:13 AM
I had both codes stored but nothing active. The inspection shop cleared it and told me to drive it so the system would reset but after the first 100 it still hadn't. So I put a Stants cap on and drove another 100 or so and still the reset wasn't complete.

So its off to a dealer Friday. The service writer also thinks something else is up. What a pain, good thing the G8 isn't a DD because the locals setup check points to catch expired inspections.

HVYCHVY
07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Hope your dealer is better than mine, they just saw the blue symbols on cap and called it good.

WhatNext
07-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Hope your dealer is better than mine, they just saw the blue symbols on cap and called it good.

That would be fine if they gave me the state inspection sticker.

Napalm
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
so normally by 1/2 a tank down my car would re-code again.

dab of dielectric grease (silicone based grease) on cap seal and so far not one code.

Why did I do this rather than buy a new cap? I wanted to make sure I have a cap sealing issue.

Also for you guys trying to clear the code - negative battery pull clears the light and restores the computer operation if you don't have a scanner.

G8 GT V8
07-05-2013, 09:44 AM
The GM parts catalog still lists cap# 92232541. The parts department should not order this one as it is not the correct one. Order 92251462 as seen below

New Cap

Old Caps

Darn, just got 92232541 from PACE a week or so ago...

WhatNext
07-07-2013, 01:47 AM
What I thought was a gas cap issue turns out to be a canister purge or check valve ($700 please). Think the dealer said check valve.

The evap system wouldn't reset after driving a couple hundred miles with a 100 of that on new Stants cap. Checking the forums, the fuel tank or rear sub frame needs to be dropped to get at it and it costs $700 for the job. Someone also confirmed its not covered under the emission system which makes no sense to me so I gotta pay.

WickedMom
07-07-2013, 06:07 AM
I know they did change the color of the print on the caps when they updated them, way back when...

But I thought 449 pertained to a evap leak and 445 was more evap canister related?

Called it!

But I am pretty sure it's covered under the emissions warranty which is 8/80

icantdrive55
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a letter from GM in November 2010 providing extended warranty for the gas cap for 10 years or 120K miles from when originally placed in service. I had my gas cap replaced under warranty by the dealer - they installed 92251462 which is the correct replacement cap. I have not thrown a code since then - 3 years. Attached is the letter for reference. Hope this helps - good luck!

todds87ss
07-08-2013, 04:04 AM
After getting the dreaded CHL code P0445, I decided to take the car to the dealer for a new cap. After explaining the situation with the gas caps, the SM dug through the vehicle history and found the Gas Cap problem. He explained to get the work done,, the 'tech' would have to troubleshoot the system, and if they found nothing wrong, I would have to pay the troubleshooting fee ($150ish) What the hell, I had them do the trpubleshooting. About 30 minutes later, the SM said the cap was good to go, and they could reset code, or dig deeper into the Evap system. I chose the reset and was on my way. When I get home I started looking into the paperwork they gave me and noticed something odd.19360 19361

Unless I am reading it wrong, the new cap doesn't have the symbols, just the writing in blue. My current cap has the symbols as seen on the left of att.2. Should I go back to the dealership tomorrow and have them order, or see if they'll order the new design cap, or just buy my own on the web? It is embarassing to have a new car and spin the cap 5 times to keep the cap tight. (damn gravitational pull)

HVY

DTC P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected
• DTC P0443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve 1 Control CKT
• DTC P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
• DTC P0445 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted
• DTC P0446 EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System
• DTC P0447 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open
• DTC P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
• DTC P0449 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit
• DTC P0450 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit
• DTC P0451 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance
• DTC P0452 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
• DTC P0453 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit High Voltage
• DTC P0454 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Intermittent
• DTC P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected

Called it!

But I am pretty sure it's covered under the emissions warranty which is 8/80

Some quick reading on the webz says you are both right...and wrong. P0445 is a purge valve shorted code - purge valve is by the throttle body, not under the car. Now a bad cap can throw this code (if you believe what you read), but it's not a leak code. Those are p0442 and p0455. You can pull the purger valve easily, place 12vdc across it, and check it for operation. Easy test to rule the valve out.

WhatNext
07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Update:

The canister and gas cap were replaced. $300 part for the canister and $30 for the cap. Total $750. Going into the job they thought it was the purge valve but only the canister and cap were listed on the receipt.

I posted this with some discussion in the po449 forum in Charlie's Corner too.

Panzer Leader
07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
HVYCHVY - If it took them 25 minutes to figure out how to reset the oil life monitor , find a new dealer. My CTS resets the same way as my G8.... I would think all GMs are reset the same way......BTW, how did they know where to find the "Oil Life Status" If I remember right, it is in the ENGINEERING MODE display and that's not shown in the manual..... Most dealers and techs still don't have a clue what the ENGINEERING MODE is or how to access it.

todds87ss
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Update:

The canister and gas cap were replaced. $300 part for the canister and $30 for the cap. Total $750. Going into the job they thought it was the purge valve but only the canister and cap were listed on the receipt.

I posted this with some discussion in the po449 forum in Charlie's Corner too.

so is the readiness set? If so I'm wondering...how?

WhatNext
07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I'm going to check the system reset on Friday. Curious about that too.

WhatNext
07-14-2013, 06:11 PM
The system readiness has not reset. Will check it weekly

todds87ss
07-15-2013, 03:50 AM
The system readiness has not reset. Will check it weekly

so $700, and no reset...I'd run it up their ass.

But that's pretty much what I expected. Sorry for the pain.

WhatNext
07-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah, that was my mod money for shocks and cradle bushes.

I'm hearing from different sources that it may take few hundred miles to reset. I've got a 12 month warranty from the caddy dealer that did the job.

WhatNext
07-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Update: the evap system has reset after a couple hundred miles. Well somewhere between a hundred and two hundred.

Side note - tried a friends code reader and it wasn't linking correctly with the G8. I believe it was an Autotel or something like that. Couldn't start the engine with it connected and also messed with stabiltrac and abs. Good thing those errors went away after a couple restarts.

Napalm
02-10-2014, 08:08 AM
So what's this I'm reading about being able to tune out the EVAP codes - all the EVAP codes.

anybody ever hear of doing this?

HVYCHVY
02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
I don't know about tuning the codes out, but they will reset after tightening the cap (push in and twist 3-4 times as everybody looks at you thinking your crazy doing it)

Napalm
02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't know about tuning the codes out, but they will reset after tightening the cap (push in and twist 3-4 times as everybody looks at you thinking your crazy doing it)

mine doesn't seem to I have to pull the battery cable or hook up HP tuners to reset it

Napalm
02-25-2014, 12:41 PM
so based on some other tests and the like I was resonably sure a cap would fix my issue.

so this weekend I bought an aftermarket cap from Advanced Auto Parts - its a Stant cap.

fits tighter, and threads smoother than the factory cap every did.

BTW to those other comments. My car is past all warranties at 111K miles. so it was worth 10.15 for me (9 something + tax) to try a cap and reset the light.

so far - beyond 1/2 tank and no repeat. Now I won't call it good until I get 2 tank fulls in the car.

todds87ss
02-26-2014, 05:13 AM
Very cool. It might help others if you could post the part number...I know that often my local parts places are clueless.

Napalm
02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
I'll have to check the box when I get home. I know the people at advance auto had it - looked it up, and it fit.

Also this is not a GM part, it doesn't have the tether swivel annoyance. I like that the old cap was tethered but that damn thing would occasionally bind and be annoying.

I intend to put some velcro on this and on the door and rig it that way.