PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox Vibration

GTPaul
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
There is a glovebox vibration that is driving me nuts!! It goes away when I open uo the glovebox. I think I will try to locate the exact source and fix it this weekend. Ill let you guys know the outcome in case you are having a similar issue.

GRRRR8
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
See if the upper latch is adjustable (loosen 2 screws, slide back). I have had to fix many cars through the years for this. If not, make sure all rubber stops are in place.

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
other than the transmission check and fill system the glovebox is the most Mickey Mouse part of the cars.

GTPaul
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
See if the upper latch is adjustable (loosen 2 screws, slide back). I have had to fix many cars through the years for this. If not, make sure all rubber stops are in place.

Thanks! I will give that shot.

GRRRR8
08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Very Cheesy indeed!

EC-Ryder
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Turns out that the lock bar runs across both sides and there is a hole on both sides of the box where the bar locks the box. The bar just rest there plastic to plastic, and I think it was causing most of the rattle on mine as it went away after I sprayed some armor all on both sides of the locking rod.
The bar also just rides up scraping on the box body on the way over to the holes so I spayed some there also to cut down on the friction.

Moreover, the box is a little flimsy for my taste, and most anything u store there can give u a rattle. I found my garage opener was caught against the side and it was making it rattle another time also.

But that's just me!

Cheers!

EC-Ryder
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
other than the transmission check and fill system the glovebox is the most Mickey Mouse part of the cars.

That's to keep U out of trouble!

:flame:

Cheers!

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
That's to keep U out of trouble!

:flame:

Cheers!

I can generally manage to stay out of trouble checking and filling my transmission....

Chewy
08-19-2008, 05:03 AM
OK I am SUPER anal about squeaks and rattles... What I've done in the past to quell them is used the soft side of VelcroŽ and stuck it wherever plastic met plastic and had a potential to squeak. Another good thing is those felt cabinet door cushions.

This glove box has me worried but I'm sure it's nothing I can't handle:crutch:

MANOFSTEEL69
08-19-2008, 05:09 AM
The glove box has to be the cheapest thing made on our cars. The wife broke it the 2nd day we had it.:rant::spank: Now I have to tweek it a little bit on the key side to get it to latch properly.:repair:

GRRRR8
08-19-2008, 05:15 AM
I think I am going to make a real thin sheet metal kit that is the exact shape as the inside and refelt it. This way it is heavier and more durable, but undetectable.

EC-Ryder
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
OK I am SUPER anal about squeaks and rattles... What I've done in the past to quell them is used the soft side of VelcroŽ and stuck it wherever plastic met plastic and had a potential to squeak. Another good thing is those felt cabinet door cushions.

I like that idea, I'm going to try and wrap some either on the rod or the rod slut.

The glove box has to be the cheapest thing made on our cars. The wife broke it the 2nd day we had it.:rant::spank: Now I have to tweek it a little bit on the key side to get it to latch properly.:repair:

LOL! :weak:

I think I am going to make a real thin sheet metal kit that is the exact shape as the inside and refelt it. This way it is heavier and more durable, but undetectable.

I was thinking it's only a matter of time before someone on the aftermarket jumps on this, but if U can knock it out first...Oh! Wait!...What if U wrap the outside in Carbon fiber?

It's the latest craze and everyone is wild about it!

We're Gonna be rich!

Just a thought!

Cheers!

Chewy
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Rod slut? You're turning me one EC... :banana:

G8GTlawride
09-03-2008, 04:49 AM

GM uses that same technology. You can see it in your cars if you look closely enough (havn't looked hard at the G8 yet). They call it "scratch" tape or something. They will use it between panels and such to eliminated just what your talking about!

JoeSyko
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
That noise drives me nuts too.... It's very random. I usually open and close the glove box and it goes away for awhile.

I'm gonna take a closer look at it this weekend and see if I can't get it fixed.

jab336
01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I had the same problem so my dealer just ordered and gave me a new glove box. It worked out great because mine had a big scratch on it.

jkayner
01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I have a rattle somewhere on the upperish, left side of the radio/dash area. it's killing me, I can't find what it is. I have tried pressing in on different areas to see if it wwill stop so i can fix it, but it seems like it is something behind the panels. I guess i will have to tear the dash apart...