PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a lot of creaks/rattles with their G8?

TheOriginalSin
04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
My car only has 46K miles on it and within the last 500 miles or so ive devloped quite a few annoying creaks and rattles on the interior. Ive got some REALLY annoying sound coming from the passenger side(sounds like its coming from behind the B pillar cover) that makes what sounds like a metallic pinging noise whenever I go over even the slightest bump. The dash rattles occasionally and the rear deck where the speakers are housed creaks and cracks. Anyone else have these issues and did you fix them? Im really disappointed with this as my 03 Grand Prix made less interior noise when it has 85K on it.

Chewy
04-16-2013, 07:08 AM
I have 48 on my G8 and when I got it the headliner made noise, but i fixed that and it's been pretty quiet since. It's not MB or BMW vault like quiet, but it's OK.

Start taking things apart... Put in some dynamat like material and isolate the issues you can nail down.

Oldtimer
04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
I've got 100K on mine, and at around 45K, I started getting a random rattle in the front door, almost like the window wasn't shut all the way. Got a new window mechanism under warranty, and it stayed away for about three or four months, and then started back. It only rattles every now and then, and not always under the same set of circumstances, so I've learned to live with it. Other than that, rock solid.

Seattle09GT
04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Other than the "stiff leaf" noise in the climate control and the occasional groan from chassis flex if I really torque the body side-to-side coming from the sunroof - nope. Not a rattle anywhere. Four years old - 26K miles.

My stock Bridgestone summer tires were just taken off (still have them and the rims, went with Camaro 20's) and I would say there is easily 10K miles left on them - I was shocked on how much tread is left. I thought I drove this car hard, but I guess I'm a lot more gentle than a lot of you other guys and gals. Maybe I baby mine more and hence no odd noises.

There was a thread about BMR suspension subframe connectors I was reading a week or two ago that said the subframe connections really help with the side-to-side body flex - if that's an issue for you.

Napalm
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I have a noisy glovebox tumbler and a rattle in the rear door when I go over severe bumps - and I have 102K on the clock today.

otherwise its rather pleasant. There is some seemingly excessive wind noise but other than that I suppose I should slow down.

SpeedRacerX
04-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm at about 81K and very rarely on cold days the plastic on the dash below the steering column squeaks. I can cure it by touching it so I know where it is. It's so intermittant that I haven't decided to correct it.

Other than that, I am shocked how tight this car still is. Knock on wood.

TheOriginalSin
04-16-2013, 10:16 AM
I've got 100K on mine, and at around 45K, I started getting a random rattle in the front door, almost like the window wasn't shut all the way. Got a new window mechanism under warranty, and it stayed away for about three or four months, and then started back. It only rattles every now and then, and not always under the same set of circumstances, so I've learned to live with it. Other than that, rock solid.

Thats EXACTLY what mine sounds like, it sounds like the window is a little loose in the regulator or something and its bouncing around.

GRRR8GT
04-16-2013, 07:50 PM
If you have the front door skin off check the window track moulding. I had a rattle in both doors and the moulding had come almost all out of the track so the lower section of window was rattling against the track. On the other side it was my own doing. A speaker crossover came off the door skin where I stuck it and was banging around.

evilstevie
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Nah...I've got almost 90k on mine and she's pretty tight.

Jae
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I have a kangaroo fart from the blend door and a plastic rattle in pass b pillar/rear door

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

waltjrUM
04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
I have 2. One is intermittent and annoying as hell. Happens in the range where my exhaust drones and sounds like it's in the dashboard near the passenger side although my gf swears it sounds like it's on my side. It's like a plastic rattle at a pretty fast pace, hard to describe. I held the glove and various other pieces while driving and couldn't stop it. Pretty convinced it's inside the dash somewhere.

The others is what sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle near the rear on cold starts. I've only ever heard it outside the car for the most part, should be easy to take care of when I feel like getting around to it...probably not until I install some headers, lol.

TailG8er
04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Check the sill trim, the polished piece can come loose and bounce when going over a bump and tap the bottom of the door. Took me a few tries to figure this one out.

TailG8er
04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I have 2. One is intermittent and annoying as hell. Happens in the range where my exhaust drones and sounds like it's in the dashboard near the passenger side although my gf swears it sounds like it's on my side. It's like a plastic rattle at a pretty fast pace, hard to describe. I held the glove and various other pieces while driving and couldn't stop it. Pretty convinced it's inside the dash somewhere.

The others is what sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle near the rear on cold starts. I've only ever heard it outside the car for the most part, should be easy to take care of when I feel like getting around to it...probably not until I install some headers, lol.

You should hurry up and install headers, wouldn't want that noise to bother ya. Or just turn up the radio, haha

MeanGreenZ71
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Mine has a very slight rattle somewhere in the center dash area. I cant ever find exactly where its at. Ive tried holding my hand on each part as im driving to make it stop but I can ever seem to find it. I think its coming from the HVAC control area or the cubby/power point area below. Its a very very light rattle and isnt all of the time, only when on a road that is bumpy.

waltjrUM
04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
You should hurry up and install headers, wouldn't want that noise to bother ya. Or just turn up the radio, haha

LOL year know. I always have the radio up when it's just me so it's fine but it's when I have passengers while going to lunch at work is when it gets me. Probably the end of the year for headers.

Napalm
04-30-2013, 05:50 AM
you guys with teh plastic rattle in the dash.

Try opening your glove box and seeing if the noise changes or go away. I had that issue, always thought it was in the center stack somehwere - but it kept changing. Then I got where I was driving on this one set of roads all the time and the noise got consistent. (same places, same speeds, etc etc). and one day the then finance me opened the glove box for something and the noise stopped.

My issue is in the latch, key hole for the glove box. I'm about 2 steps away from just taking the thing out all together.

Zaphod B
04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Mine is still pretty tight at 35K miles, with the exception of the fender well liners rattling like crazy - but they've been doing that since day one.

TooManyHobbies
04-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Mine is quiet as new.

peterg22000
04-30-2013, 06:37 PM

I have this EXACT sound, put your hand in the cubby in front of the shifter(under the radio) and press down when the sound is happening, that's how/where I found the sound. I assumed that that it was unique to my G8 as I have the HSV/Calais closable cubby. I worked on this yesterday and -Think- I fixed it I pulled it apart and added a square of foam under the cubby and re-assembled it all.

peterg22000
04-30-2013, 06:44 PM

Try opening your glove box and seeing if the noise changes or go away. I had that issue, always thought it was in the center stack somehwere - but it kept changing. Then I got where I was driving on this one set of roads all the time and the noise got consistent. (same places, same speeds, etc etc). and one day the then finance me opened the glove box for something and the noise stopped.

My issue is in the latch, key hole for the glove box. I'm about 2 steps away from just taking the thing out all together.

I had similar issues with my glove box, after much effort, I found the issue... the glovebox door was missing one of its two rubber stoppers (#16 in the picture below)

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/071116HE09A361.JPG

Napalm
05-03-2013, 07:41 AM
I have the snubber on mine. but I can put my finger on parts 21, and 20 and all the noise stops.

kendall.alston
05-05-2013, 04:45 AM
For a very long time I was hearing a rattle from my steering wheel on certain days. Come to find out it was my watch vibrating on my wrist lol

GM Customer Service
05-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Sorry to hear about that! Have you gotten this issue taken care of?

William R.
GM Customer Care

Edsel1134
05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
mine does this all the time

Edsel1134
05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
:/ sucks

Jacob76
05-31-2013, 07:45 AM
I have a rattle or clunk coming from under the back seat somewhere. Almost sounds like it's on the outside of the car. Happens when I go over hard dips in the pavement. Dealer said it was the rear tether on my kid's car seat hitting the subwoofer grille. It still makes the noise without the car seat in the car though. It's been happening since the first year I had the car. It's not the exhaust. It did it with the factory exhaust too. Seems to be worse when it's cold out.

It's a heavy sounding clunk or knock sound. I checked and tightened the rear sway bar links and bushes. I checked the bolts for the rear cradle and they're tight. The only possibilities I can think of now are if there's a bushing on top of the rear shock mount that gets loose when it's cold; if the gas tank is rattling, or if these cables for the parking brakes rattle in the collars they pass through by the gas tank.

SRG963
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
^Check your heat shields under the car.

SIX.OH!
01-17-2014, 06:38 PM
For what it's worth, if anyone is still trying to find a rattle/buzz around the center console, both of my G8s had a rattle there - it was the trim around the window switches in both cars. I put double-sided trim tape up under the trim where it hangs over the piece below it (if that makes any sense) - no more noise.

Also in my current G8, I had a rattle/buzz coming from the rear of the car somewhere at a certain rpm during semi-aggressive acceleration. I kept thinking it was under the car - checked heat shields, exhaust bolts, l kinds of stuff... finally realized it was actually coming from inside the car. Last night I found it - the rear passenger side "oh sh*t" handle (for lack of a better term). Can't figure out how to make it stop though. It inside the parts that rotate to make the handle pull down.

GXPaycheck
01-18-2014, 05:17 AM
I found a quarter laying on top of the parking brake linkage once. Got down there through the gap in front of the console glove box. Still have a buzz that I can't find. While driving, with a load on the engine, it sounds like it's coming from the back seat.

Doug Hilliard
01-18-2014, 01:59 PM
I got the center console rattle somewhere too; I'll check the glove box and the cubby. On the B-pillar rattle going over bumps, I had this on both pass-side doors - it was the post on the latch for the door. Took it off and had it tack-welded to the plate, problem solved, easy fix!

Edsel1134
01-18-2014, 05:11 PM
My shit rattles all over thanks to the dirt road I used to live on >_> I'm going to have LMS check the cold start rattle I get

MoonPie
01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
My car only has 46K miles on it and within the last 500 miles or so ive devloped quite a few annoying creaks and rattles on the interior. Ive got some REALLY annoying sound coming from the passenger side(sounds like its coming from behind the B pillar cover) that makes what sounds like a metallic pinging noise whenever I go over even the slightest bump. The dash rattles occasionally and the rear deck where the speakers are housed creaks and cracks. Anyone else have these issues and did you fix them? Im really disappointed with this as my 03 Grand Prix made less interior noise when it has 85K on it.

If you have anything in the glove department you're gonna hear rattle, anything in the center console you'll have rattle, anything in the ash tray, cup holders and tray on other side of shifter you'll have rattle, anything in the doors and you'll have rattle. Sunglass storage area, rattle. Basically the only place to store anything without rattle is the trunk. And I mean rattle that sounds like it's coming from body panels or the dash coming loose or leather on leather rubbing. Even your keys will rattle a little bit when they're inserted in the ignition. I know that sounds funny but I've driven with rattle and said areas containing items, removed said items and was rattle free. Even if you put your arm on the center console cover you're gonna hear it rattle or the vents behind it rattle. I shit you not.

Edsel1134
01-20-2014, 07:03 PM
I have nothing anywhere and get a creaking sound from the back pas side door area.. A cold start rattle that sounds like part of a shield some where.. Idk -_- Moar loud exhuast=can't hear rattles

Slizzo
01-20-2014, 07:29 PM
I've been daily driving mine for 6 years and still no rattles. Occasional creak from the rear right somewhere on interior, but that's it.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

peterg22000
01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
For what it's worth, if anyone is still trying to find a rattle/buzz around the center console, both of my G8s had a rattle there - it was the trim around the window switches in both cars. I put double-sided trim tape up under the trim where it hangs over the piece below it (if that makes any sense) - no more noise.

Also in my current G8, I had a rattle/buzz coming from the rear of the car somewhere at a certain rpm during semi-aggressive acceleration. I kept thinking it was under the car - checked heat shields, exhaust bolts, l kinds of stuff... finally realized it was actually coming from inside the car. Last night I found it - the rear passenger side "oh sh*t" handle (for lack of a better term). Can't figure out how to make it stop though. It inside the parts that rotate to make the handle pull down.

Can you Please post a picture and point to the spot your talking?

you would be shocked at the extent that I went to, to shut that buzz up. (although I don't seem to have it in the winter)

Edsel1134
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
I've been daily driving mine for 6 years and still no rattles. Occasional creak from the rear right somewhere on interior, but that's it.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

I have the creak to

spike2325
01-22-2014, 04:48 AM
my driver front window rattles at highway speeds but only every once in a while

MongosG8
01-22-2014, 09:22 PM
I don't drive it in the winter so I cannot say it rattles due to the cold. But I do get a rattle in the glove box ..so I decided to take certain things out and just leave my paper work in there. Center council rattles when it wants to. The change bin and the overhead storage will always rattle when you put anything in there. Too much play so that IMO is normal.

What pisses me off about my G8 is all the road and wind noise these cars intend to have. I have adjusted the door stop and it improved some what but man this is one of the noisiest cars I owned when it comes to wind and road noise.

dru21281
01-23-2014, 12:05 PM
I don't drive it in the winter so I cannot say it rattles due to the cold. But I do get a rattle in the glove box ..so I decided to take certain things out and just leave my paper work in there. Center council rattles when it wants to. The change bin and the overhead storage will always rattle when you put anything in there. Too much play so that IMO is normal.

What pisses me off about my G8 is all the road and wind noise these cars intend to have. I have adjusted the door stop and it improved some what but man this is one of the noisiest cars I owned when it comes to wind and road noise.

I've had my car for 3 months now and as long as I don't have any change laying around there are no rattles. And as for wind/road noise, it's fairly quiet... I don't have a sunroof which may help a bit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SIX.OH!
01-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Can you Please post a picture and point to the spot your talking?

you would be shocked at the extent that I went to, to shut that buzz up. (although I don't seem to have it in the winter)

You can see a couple light grey spots where the trim overlaps to the left of the switches (below them with the way the picture is orientated) - that's the double-sided trim tape I shoved in there on both sides.

Then there's the handle above the rear door - only the one above my rear passenger door does it; the driver side makes no noise.

I have rear dash buzzes now too but that will all be fixed when I install my sound upgrades.

srhkmk86
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Mine rattles near the 3rd brake light, the front dome light at certain rpm, and a slight one occasionally from the dash/center speaker area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

msb7144
05-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Just found one myself, sounds like the front pass side. If you go over a pothole or bump you hear it but I cant find it. I checked everything and it all seems tight, I push on the fender and no sound from the struts.......Im lost on this one.

Slizzo
05-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Just found one myself, sounds like the front pass side. If you go over a pothole or bump you hear it but I cant find it. I checked everything and it all seems tight, I push on the fender and no sound from the struts.......Im lost on this one.

Jack up front end, grab front and rear (as you're facing the wheel) of tire, and shake vigorously towards front and rear of car. If you get any movement (with the steering wheel locked) on the wheel your control arms/radius arms are shot and need replacement. "Knocking/rattling" sound could be caused by worn ball joints in the arms.

texn884
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Not one creek or rattle in the rat. 114,000 miles

Monty
05-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Not one noise in mine and I even have a sun roof.

msb7144
05-07-2014, 04:45 AM
Jack up front end, grab front and rear (as you're facing the wheel) of tire, and shake vigorously towards front and rear of car. If you get any movement (with the steering wheel locked) on the wheel your control arms/radius arms are shot and need replacement. "Knocking/rattling" sound could be caused by worn ball joints in the arms.

I kind of did that already, maybe I didn't shake it enough. I was thinking ball joints myself........time to recheck.

msb7144
05-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Ok, well I jacked the car up and tried to get that wheel to move but it didn't. I still am leaning towards the ball joint but I guess I will wait and see if it gets worse. :huh:

Edsel1134
05-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Ok, well I jacked the car up and tried to get that wheel to move but it didn't. I still am leaning towards the ball joint but I guess I will wait and see if it gets worse. :huh:

Mine had your symptoms.. Its now apparent that my driver side ball joint is going bad :/

dru21281
05-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Make sure to raise both front wheels off the ground, maybe your sway bar links. With only one wheel jacked up its hard to tell...

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

Edsel1134
05-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Found another rattle.. The chrome striped on the bottom of your kicker panel.. It's almost like a sticker or something but I kept hearing a rattle and that's where it was coming from pics soon

Edsel1134
05-16-2014, 04:35 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/yhu2unyd.jpg
Believe it or not where my finger is on both ends was causing a rattle sound in both pas and drivers doors

Blown396
06-08-2014, 04:14 PM
It seems like the doors are rattling in the jams on my car. If go over uneven pavement,small pot hole, or expansion joint, it seems like the doors are rattling in the jams of the car. Anyone else experience this?

EB

antec800
11-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Yes door strikers are going bad

texn884
11-24-2014, 07:24 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/yhu2unyd.jpg
Believe it or not where my finger is on both ends was causing a rattle sound in both pas and drivers doors

Heck I think you can still drive and hold it down at the same time lol

travis gore
11-29-2014, 03:42 AM
I wonder if this is the rattle that I heard the other day. I could not reach it it did sound like it was coming from the passenger door. Put the flow masters back on no rattle :)

MongosG8
11-29-2014, 07:09 AM
I wonder if this is the rattle that I heard the other day. I could not reach it it did sound like it was coming from the passenger door. Put the flow masters back on no rattle :)

I see what you did there ;).. best way to solve an annoying noise. Exhaust mod & stereo volume control

GT086
03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Found another rattle.. The chrome striped on the bottom of your kicker panel.. It's almost like a sticker or something but I kept hearing a rattle and that's where it was coming from pics soon
Hmm, I have an intermittent rattle from the bottom of the driver's side door, it almost sounds like I left an empty plastic water bottle in the door pocket, this might be it though. I'll have to check it out.

My driver side squeaks like crazy when I go over bumps, it squeaks from two places I think. On the front right bottom corner where it meets the center console and the plastic trim on the seat and also in the center on the front of the seat.

I also have have rattle/clunk which I think is coming from where the dash meets the windshield directly in front of the instrument cluster.