PDA

View Full Version : Couple laps of Firebird Main in my G8 GT

MFE
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I blew the trans in my track Mustang on my 3rd lap of the day, but I had a student I was responsible for, so I had to stick around. Later in the day I couldn't stand being there and not driving anymore, even though I got in a couple of relatively hot laps in my student's [f-ing awesome] Boss 302, so I took my G8 out for a few laps.

Bone stock brakes, tires, suspension, stock everything except a Magnaflow catback, Rotofab CAI, Cortex 91 octane and 50% trans tunes. I weighed it on the track scales and it was 4075 with me in it (that's 240 lbs) and a half tank of gas. I could feel every ounce of it in the corners LOL. But looking at the time from the video it looks like I was only a second or two slower than my recent Mustang times, and is actually faster than some of the times I ran on this same configuration a couple years ago. That amazes me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4YRYqZwRM

Eidolon
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Nice. :) Always good having another track junkie around.

And these cars really are surprisingly capable for their size and weight. Holden really did their homework on the chassis and suspension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MFE
03-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Suprised the shit out of the guy in the Audi S4, that's for sure :lol:

Edsel1134
03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Hmm no strut bars? May help with the sway. Minor things like that help a lot on a track.. And agree glad to see another track junkie as well. Never tracked my g8.. But my friend did his every weekend.. :) there are some tricks to help with the body roll.. Which if u ask me for a sedan isn't that bad :) awesome video

Seattle09GT
03-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Great job - very smooth driving. You were really hauling on the second lap in the video. That 99x that passed you was REALLY hauling - LOL.

Semperfire
03-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for sharing that was great to watch

Slizzo
03-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Nice. :) Always good having another track junkie around.

And these cars really are surprisingly capable for their size and weight. Holden really did their homework on the chassis and suspension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Can't wait to see what the SS can do with ~150LBS less weight, and hopefully an improved suspension setup. At least we know the wheel setup is a little lighter, and there's more meat out back.

MFE
03-17-2013, 09:37 PM
It needs more rebound control in the struts. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable. More tire, better brake pads, better rebound, a little more negative camber in front, and this thing would be an epic cackle-inducing track sleeper.