PDA

View Full Version : Penguinmobile is declared DOA.

R.Penguin
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
The wonderful folks at USAA Insurance advised me this AM that they have totaled my baby. Only took them 3 weeks. How nice of them. They said they would be pleased to send a check for $24,000 to the loan company and take my loaner car away as of monday. Golly, that seems way to generous.:p

Lessee here, loan balance on the car is $30,000. I have made monthly payments of about $5600 since I got the car in March 2008.

Total mods $7,710.00

#748 of first 888. Value debatable.

Total invested to date - $43,310.00

Generous $24,000.00 settlement..... $43,310.00 less $24,000.00
(Told them where to put the $24,000. Preferably in rolls of quarters).

Um, lessee here, gotta take my shoes off, not enough fingers to count on.

So, looks like I'm only out about ($19,310.17) in round numbers. And won't have a driver as of Monday.

What would we do without nice responsible insurance companys like USAA?

Yes, I do understand that this is how the system works, and I also understand that it's just tough shit for me & my wife.

So, for those interested in the car, hold tight, they have not even offered the option for me to buy the wreck yet. When I know, you will know.

However, now that USAA has soothed my soul with such a generous offer, they will soon quite possibly find that we are not finished just yet.

Yes, I also know that if the lawyers get involved, the only winners are the lawyers.

Did I ever mention how vindictive penguins are? :p :boxing:

SpectreG8GT
02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm confused, I have USAA insurance and it includes full gap coverage. If I total my car they pay what I owe.

99-LS1-SS
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Get 'em penguin!!!!!!!!!!!

r33pwrd
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
play hard ball with them! They will always come in way low! did you have gap insuranc with the bank? what mods did you have?

Steve
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
R.I.P. :( And 'buying it back' is just ridiculous - at this point they should just give it to you if you wanted it. Let me know if you do end up getting it.

R.Penguin
02-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm confused, I have USAA insurance and it includes full gap coverage. If I total my car they pay what I owe.
I have State Farm and have the same. So, ($19,310.17) less $6,000.00 gap = $13,310.00.

Ah, I feel much better now. So I have no trade-in, no down payment and 2009 G8s are around $32,000.00 plus tax & license.

Hmmm, maybe a Hyundai???

Dandy! :p :woohoo::hang:

GT-610
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
same here.I have allstate.slow as shit,but they pay up.

Go get 'em!!! suuuuuuuuuuutheiiiiiiiirrrrassesofffffff!

r33pwrd
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I have State Farm and have the same. So, ($19,310.17) less $6,000.00 gap = $13,310.00.

Ah, I feel much better now. So I have no trade-in, no down payment and 2009 G8s are around $32,000.00 plus tax & license.

Hmmm, maybe a Hyundai???

That is so fucking stupid! How many miles did you have? Tell them to find you a NON rental G8 for the same price! wanst this someone elses insurance comnpany paying? Call your agent and talk to them and simply tell them what you want and make them fight for you. ALso I thought gap would only work if you where at fault? Im pretty sure they MUST payoff your loan amount.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Don't accept the money, and tell them you want enough to replace your car with one of equal value. I have been low balled on insurance claims before, and I simply told them the car cost more than that to replace and they adjusted the payout. If that doesn't work seek legal action against them!

Slizzo
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Don't accept the money, and tell them you want enough to replace your car with one of equal value. I have been low balled on insurance claims before, and I simply told them the car cost more than that to replace and they adjusted the payout. If that doesn't work seek legal action against them!

I agree with this. You should be able to get a car of about equal value. With all the good experiences I've had with USAA I'm surprised that they didn't give you more. Looks like they wanted to take the "cheap way out" and not pay for the repair cost of the vehicle (not that you would have wanted to do that anyway, which you've stated previously that you didn't).

But like others said, call them and talk to them, their customer service is top notch, they wanted to keep me as a customer but simply were not able to match other rates that I was quoted elsewhere.

SRG963
02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Plain and simple, you had a limited production car. You should expect to be fully reimbursed IMO. Don't sign shit and let them know that you will not settle for less.

norm8332
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
They always low-ball it. Don't give in until you are satisfied.

-Ray-
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Shouldn't there be another insurance company involved since it's not your fault?
Obviously there is money missing in this deal.

phpd7102
02-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Hmmm, maybe a Hyundai???

When you buy a new car they will pay the sales tax, 24k sounds about like what 08 G8's are retailing for. ...maybe even a bit high.

One of the first 888 adds nothing to the value of the car except to those that actually paid for it at the dealer, nobody else will pay for it inc insurance companies.

As to mods, see if they will let you swap stock stuff back, if they arent willingt o pay for the mods then they should be flexible with letting you remove them.

Sorry to hear your pride and joy bit it, go get a GXP!! :woohoo:

phpd7102
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Plain and simple, you had a limited production car. You should expect to be fully reimbursed IMO. Don't sign shit and let them know that you will not settle for less.

Limited production? How so?

If you mean one of the "first 888" good luck convincing an insurance company that means anything.

R.Penguin
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
That is so fucking stupid! How many miles did you have? Tell them to find you a NON rental G8 for the same price! wanst this someone elses insurance comnpany paying? Call your agent and talk to them and simply tell them what you want and make them fight for you. ALso I thought gap would only work if you where at fault? Im pretty sure they MUST payoff your loan amount.
Yes. Under 11K miles. They USAA admits liability. Meeting with State Farm on Monday. These fools missed a simple opportunity to make it all good by just agreeing to replace the car. So who knows. Instead they may get $500,000.00-750,000 legal action. How do these asshats get to the managerial level? :p

R.Penguin
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM

If you mean one of the "first 888" good luck convincing an insurance company that means anything.
Didn't even try. But..........now I'm pissed.

R.Penguin
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM

BTW, look up the definition......"Initial limited production run with special badging that will never be made again." It's a tossup...depending on your attorney.

jnak
02-05-2009, 09:29 PM
RIP Penguinmobile.

Damn insurance companies. Always there when you don't need them.

PaFromFL
02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Since they like hardball, maybe you can intimidate them with medical and disability claims. There must be some lawyers out there who know how to stick it to the insurance companies. It would be cheaper for them to give you a GXP than to give many BMWs to your doctors.

p71
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM
1... told you so... couldn't help it ;)
2... if you are making more than the minimum payments gap insurance is a rip
3... remove all aftermarket parts that are not listed on the claim. They are yours.
4... you can get a '09 GT for 27-29K before tax
5... good luck in your fight

Chooch
02-06-2009, 06:23 AM
SO... you have Statefarm and the other person had USAA. USAA gave you a trade in value based on the Blue Book is my Guess. So, here is what I think based on a motorcycle accident I was part of but thanksfully not on. 1) I was lowballed on the initial offer which I declined. 2) I gave them all receipts of Loan Balance, maintance, add on's etc... 3). I also stated based on accident report, I was 100 free of any liability for the so called accident. 4). Told them specifically, this is under there Liability insurance, not mine so I am not responsible for any deductable, and they should cover all liabilties that are documented including medical, even if you paid out of your pocket or private health care as that costs you money. Add in lost sick time from work etc.... 5) If you have State Farm, they should work for you and advise. 6). Lastley get a lawyer and tell them and legal costs will be liabile to them since this is there responsibility. Once the Private Lawyer statement came in, I was paid 50 dollars under the total outlay from point 2 and kept the bike with a non totalled title and actually fixed and used it for another 6 years

r33pwrd
02-06-2009, 07:24 AM
the problem is even if ussa comes up in price it will only eat into the Gap insurance payout... I hate to say it but you are in a hard spot! my instinct tell me to tell them to find you an identiacl car for what they have offered you. Insurace (as sad as it is) pay replacement value not "paid for value" I do not see why there insurance company should not pay for your aftermarket parts?

My parents had a 5th wheel burn down a few months back and insurance companies forst offer was 16K they ended up with 25 and change. so you can barder with them. We have a family froend that is an attorney for state farm and Im sure he would talk with you about it if you like? He may be able to tell you how to build a stronger claim against them.

Slizzo
02-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Think it's the other way around man, Penguin has USAA and the one at fault has State Farm.

SRG963
02-06-2009, 07:29 AM
State Farm Sucks IMO.

r33pwrd
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
State Farm Sucks IMO.

I have had good luck with State Farm... I have a 12K dollar stereo stollen about 10 years ago and state farm Paid for it 100 percent!

SRG963
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I have had good luck with State Farm... I have a 12K dollar stereo stollen about 10 years ago and state farm Paid for it 100 percent!

They low balled me on my very first accident by 4 grand. Took a couple weeks, but I got my full payoff.

99-LS1-SS
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
the problem is even if ussa comes up in price it will only eat into the Gap insurance payout... I hate to say it but you are in a hard spot! my instinct tell me to tell them to find you an identiacl car for what they have offered you. Insurace (as sad as it is) pay replacement value not "paid for value" I do not see why there insurance company should not pay for your aftermarket parts?
I disagree with you on this. Penguin actually has the upper hand. He has potential injury claims. They would be wise to settle this before it gets ugly for them.

confused2much
02-06-2009, 09:08 AM
It took me 1 1/2 years, but I just finished up with an insurance claim. I know how much it sucks and I feel for you. I hope that all goes well, but I know how bad the whole thing stressed me out. I feel that you have the upper hand, so stay pissed and get things to go your way. Wont be easy but it will be worth it in my opinion. And most lawyers give free consultations! Good luck.

EcoBrick Bob
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM

Hmmm, maybe a Hyundai???

There are great deals on 09's at many dealers. We bought one in late Jan. for $6,500. off ($1K was GM card money) the early 09' pricing. Our Sport Red GT w/ premium and sport package but no sunroof retailed for $33,210. and we paid $28,735. w/ taxes and fees out the door. Deal is even better in Feb. at dealers who are geting the extra $2K in GM credits, but not all dealers have them. You can now get $5K. off, before any price negotiating or GM card $$$.

Certainly wishing you the best in your Insurance fight!!

PantherGTBlack
02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Total mods $7,710.00

Hate to say it but mods aren't worth but about 15% of their original value...regardless if it's a wreck or you're selling it. You're not going to get that money back.

SRG963
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Hate to say it but mods aren't worth but about 15% of their original value...regardless if it's a wreck or you're selling it. You're not going to get that money back.

Not true,

Just like everything, it depreciates, but if he has all the papers where he purchased everything, he should get 75-85% back IMO

phpd7102
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
BTW, look up the definition......"Initial limited production run with special badging that will never be made again." It's a tossup...depending on your attorney.

Hey I'm all for you getting whatever you can but I seriously doubt any insurance company will pay extra for a couple dash plaques.

If you can find someplace where they sell or have sold a few used "first 888" and show they bring more money used than a non "first 888" then you migh have a shot.

Whatever the case good luck.

SRG963
02-06-2009, 11:52 AM
2 Words

Irreplaceable Sentimental Value

ROFL (at my post, not situation)

R.Penguin
02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
2 Words

Irreplaceable Sentimental Value

ROFL (at my post, not situation)
Hey! That's 3 words you doink! ROFL :p

BTW, I had to go back and count 4 times.:p

R.Penguin
02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Think it's the other way around man, Penguin has USAA and the one at fault has State Farm.
No, flip flop that. I have State Farm, and have had for over 50 years. I have a meeting set with my agent on Monday AM. He has previous experience with this situation. So, we will see what happens.

Meanwhilst, USAA tried to tow the car away from the body shop yesterday. The body shop said "No, go away"! It was scheduled for auction on Sunday 2/8/09 at 1:00PM.

Since then I have confirmed that:
1) We are still the registered owners and Bank of America understands that we will continue to make monthly payments, and also confirms that we are current on the loan.
2) We have not made any settlement verbally or in writing with USAA (which I am learning stands for Unbeleivably Stinky Asshole Associates.) Nor will we.
3) We are still the legally registered owners and the Penguinmobile and all of it's mods belong to me.
4) I have had my original dealer locate a Pacific Slate Metallic 2009 GT and I can take delivery on Monday or Tuesday. He even managed to find one without sunroof, which I didn't want. The window sticker is coming off the fax right now. There are simply NO GXP's anywhere in PSM at this time.
4a) Since USAA has decided to take the Chrysler 300 rental away on Monday, that works for me.
5) GM has just decided to give either $3000 cash back or 60 months at 0%, or 72 months at 1.9%.
6) My wife and I saw the doctor yesterday (he is a car nut too and drives a new Boxster) and he documented injuries and scheduled CAT scans & MRI.

The way I see it, USAA had a golden opportunity to clear the case by simply replacing the car. In their infinite wisdom, they chose to play hardball. I fear they will end up paying out a whole lot more than they could have, 'cause I play hardball too, and I have a better team than they do. :p

For those who may still be interested in buying the injured car, please keep reminding me and as soon as the dust settles I'll let you know. I still have all of the original intake parts, the original engine cover, the stock exhaust, etc. From what I have seen so far, there is no damage from the radiator back. All 4 doors & trunk work like new, so no frame problems that I see at this time.

Thank you all for your support. We appreciate it. If we end up BBQ'ing USAA, everyone is invited. :p

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I thought GAP payed the difference between the book value and loan value of the car. Why did you subtract GAP from the $19,000 something earlier in the thread? This is the first car I bought GAP on because the payments are low and the term is long, so I didn't want depreciation putting a hurt on me if my car is wrecked.

SpectreG8GT
02-06-2009, 04:30 PM
(he is a car nut too and drives a new Boxster)

does not compute

R.Penguin
02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I thought GAP payed the difference between the book value and loan value of the car. Why did you subtract GAP from the $19,000 something earlier in the thread? This is the first car I bought GAP on because the payments are low and the term is long, so I didn't want depreciation putting a hurt on me if my car is wrecked.
Penguins are notoriously bad when it comes to math. :p

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok thanks for confirming that for me.

R.Penguin
02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
does not compute
Eh? Compute?? Huh???:wacko:

p71
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Gap pays the difference between insurance offer, less deductable and loan payoff.... loan value and book value have little to do with it.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-07-2009, 06:22 AM
That's what I meant, because usually you get book value for the car.

DQGTO
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Im sorry to hear about all of this commotion regarding your settlement. Also, of course, I am glad that you and yours are doing alright, respectively. Just in my own opinion, the Pacific Slate Metallic is my dream color man. When I get out of college in May, with any luck, I will have a job and then pursue an '09 PSM GT. They are sharp looking cars man. Go for blood and make sure they get you a 0mile PSM on Monday.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I was just checking out my auto insurance policy and I came across the value of my car. The 2008 G8 GT has a retail value of $24000 which is the same figure that USAA offered to give you, so evidently that's a fair payout for just the car. I know you have all those mods on it, but unless you can convince them to compensate you for them, you'll have have to try to get possession of the car to recoup the mods.

GRRRR8
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
The thing about an accident that is not my fault is this: I didnt ask this dumb fuck to plow into me, so why should I be penalized in any way? Shit I am already losing the car. Who knows the long term effect of the accident on my personal being. Its funny how people pay premiums for 25 + years and never have a claim, but then they do and have to battle their own insurance company! Insurance is a scam across the board. They think they are above everything and can say what you are entitled to. WRONG! Keep fighting my feathered friend!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Insurance companies are only out to make money, and you certainly don't see too many going out of business. They always have their hand out to accept the payment, but when it comes to compensating us, we have to pry their greedy fingers open to get what we have coming to us. And when they start loosing money, they just jack up the premiums to stay in the black. Now I can see why people makes false claims, they are just trying to get even with them after being screwed for so long.

R.Penguin
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Well guys, here is how it's goin' down. Agreed that $24,000 is current book. They offered that if we sign off on everything including personal injuries. I said NO. Oh, and they take the rental car away on Monday. Excuse me just a sec.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :p

Then they pissed me off one last time. Someone dispatched a tow truck to the body shop where the car is sitting and tried to haul it away. The body shop said "not without permission of the owner" and the tow fled. Sometime on Monday I should know who sent that truck to snag the car. I am still the registered owner & our loan with BA is current. I confirmed with them that I will continue paying on the loan & that we were, in fact, the registered owners. The body shop will let me store the car no charge while I pull the mods, bells & whistles.

I should be able to backtrack from the tow company to whoever ordered the tow truck this Monday. Hmmm. Since we are the registered owners, the tow company is paid, etc. the only others that would have any interest in the car would be the only other folks that know where it is. Are you with me on this? Yeah, USAA Insurance. The same folks that have denied that the "First 888" tags are of any value. (I agree with this). Also the same folks that have said they do not believe there were $7,100.00 in mods on the car. Be a real laugh on me if the car happened to be crushed or shredded...Oops, so sorry...no car, no evidence. If I can get lucky and backtrack to them, I will file attempted auto theft charges against USAA on Monday with the local police dept.

So what, you say? Just one more shovel full deeper into the hole they are digging for themselves, plus I am now having fun.

Now, you naysayers out there can say what you want. But, you're there and I'm here and I know what kinda balls I have. There are more than a few members here that understand what may be unravelling here.

Monday is a big day!

1-My State Farm agent gets involved after our 11:00 meeting. :)

2-USAA attempts to terrorize me by taking the rental car back. Oh no! :(

3-We take delivery of our brand new 2009 Pacific Slate Metallic G8 GT. GM is offering $3000 cash rebate now or 0%, etc. :p :p :p

4-Perhaps by then we will have the info on who sent the "mystery"
tow truck. ?

5- But OH NO! Now I own 2 G8 GT's. :) Next payment on the 2008 is late Feb.
1st payment due on the 2009 will be mid March. Well, that's plenty of time to pull any of the mods from the 2008 and install on the 2009. Since I still own the car and will continue to make payments on both, I can sell the 2008 when I am ready. All the time ignoring USAA since I don't need their lousy $24,000 and they have not even addressed the personal injury issues yet.
When they start to get the math right, sometime during the next 2 years, maybe we'll talk. But at this time it's looking more like the talk will be in a court of law. No threats, just the facts. :p

And gang, I do appreciate you allowing me to ramble on like this. If it bores you, there are lots of more worthy threads to keep you entertained. I find that it helps me to talk some of this out and when I do, I get even more evil ideas to mess with USAA Insurance. Someone has to slap these high & mighty insurance asshats upside the head occasionally. It just might be my turn. Recon we'll see.

Penguin

todds87ss
02-08-2009, 02:23 AM
now THAT'S the right attitude!
And remember...AIG is an insurance company. All Bastards and thieves.

-Ray-
02-08-2009, 05:08 AM
I still don't understand why the other party's insurance isn't involved here. What is their part in all this?

p71
02-08-2009, 05:45 AM
usaa is the other insurance... keep up...

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 11:30 AM
usaa is the other insurance... keep up...
That's true, USAA all the way!

While I'm at it, can I sue them for your damage too? I'm just getting warmed up brudda! :p

Isn't that the deal where some fool lost a driveshaft and it wiped out the whole under side?? :(

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, looks like the Vararam CAI will be the first new mod. If they finally ship. :p

G8Smitty
02-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Since your MGM is an 888, I'd swap out the dash trim with the PSM. Just a thought.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-08-2009, 06:10 PM
That's forgery my friend.....

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Or, a small memorial to a fallen soldier, and faithful freind. In the 10+ months I had # 748 it never required a trip to any dealer or shop. She ran consistent 4.6 - 4.8sec 0-60times. :(

GeorgeInNePa
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM

No, it's not.

It could be fraud if he tried to sell it and used the "888" as a selling point.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-08-2009, 06:42 PM
That's what I was referring to George. Perhaps a small engraved plaque that reads "In memory of #748" so you could see it while your driving.

G8Smitty
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
My suggestion was based upon a memorial, not fraud.

GeorgeInNePa
02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Since the VIN would indicate it wasn't an 888 car, the buyer should know the difference.

Look at it this way. I'm going to de-badge the rear of the car and put the Holden Lion badge on the trunk lid center with the V on the lower edge.
I'm taking the chiclets off and putting the V8 badges on the fenders. I'm going to do the SS-V nose.

Is that fraud?

r33pwrd
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
No, it's not.

It could be fraud if he tried to sell it and used the "888" as a selling point.

How is it a selling point? Im a G8 fan and could care less about it being an "888" if it was a limited production or rare car that might mean something...

r33pwrd
02-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Since the VIN would indicate it wasn't an 888 car, the buyer should know the difference

who would ever look? Im sorry but I would take an 09 over an 888 for the same price any day and I think 99.9 percent of america would as well I think your a fool if you think the 888 adds value.... just my 2 cents.

GeorgeInNePa
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
How is it a selling point? Im a G8 fan and could care less about it being an "888" if it was a limited production or rare car that might mean something...

who would ever look? Im sorry but I would take an 09 over an 888 for the same price any day and I think 99.9 percent of america would as well I think your a fool if you think the 888 adds value.... just my 2 cents.

I don't think it adds anything. I was just using it as an example.

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Since the VIN would indicate it wasn't an 888 car, the buyer should know the difference.

Look at it this way. I'm going to de-badge the rear of the car and put the Holden Lion badge on the trunk lid center with the V on the lower edge.
I'm taking the chiclets off and putting the V8 badges on the fenders. I'm going to do the SS-V nose.

Is that fraud?
It wasn't when I did it to #748. I did all that except the SS-V nose.

WTF? The car is not a Pontiac. It's a Holden with a rebadge and a clip on Pontiac nose & tail. Pontiac has never made a car that comes close to the G8. As soon as the new one is in the driveway, my order goes off to Crazy Paul.

97% Holden, 3% Pontiac. Damn proud of it too.

The Holden Lion badge on the trunk just totally puzzles people. When they asked me I just said "it's an import from Oz". They generally just slowly back away at that point.

Let's face it. A nicely modded G8 GT looks like it's a $85,000 + automobile. I live in Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infinity, Range Rover heaven. A few wise-asses have said well, nice car, but I got me this here BMW fukity five series. And I say yeah, seems like everyone in town has one too. Crap, the janitor at the high school drives a BMW! :nah:

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
"could care less about it being an "888" if it was a limited production or rare car that might mean something".

That's exactly was it is/was/will be. Thanks for clarifying that.

My 1965 goat coupe wasn't rare or limited production at all. I sure wish I had it now tho'. :p

r33pwrd
02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
"could care less about it being an "888" if it was a limited production or rare car that might mean something".

That's exactly was it is/was/will be. Thanks for clarifying that.

My 1965 goat coupe wasn't rare or limited production at all. I sure wish I had it now tho'. :p

not saying you should not miss it... but it seam like people think the 888 adds a extra value...

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
No it's not, because the car is made by Holden. But putting a special collector plate on a car that isn't one is fraud. I'm installing the V8 badges on my car too, I just got to wait for the weather to warm up so I can slap them on.

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
not saying you should not miss it... but it seam like people think the 888 adds a extra value...
"but it seam like people think the 888 adds a extra value..."

Obviously not now, but in future years? Who can say? :p

GeorgeInNePa
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
No it's not, because the car is made by Holden. But putting a special collector plate on a car that isn't one is fraud. I'm installing the V8 badges on my car too, I just got to wait for the weather to warm up so I can slap them on.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here.

As long as he's not trying to capitalize on a price increase that using the badge would bring (especially since we've agreed there is none in this case) it just doesn't matter.

R.Penguin
02-08-2009, 09:52 PM
"But putting a special collector plate on a car that isn't one is fraud." No offense Doc,
but have you ever even seen an 888? It's nothing more than a standard G8 GT with a limited VIN # (first 888 G8s ever produced) and a lightly silkscreened logo on the dash plate. This whole conversation is of absolutely no use except as a waste of time. To a few of us die hard G8 fans, the first 888 was an attractive idea. So, now there are 888 minus the others that have gone away, like #748. Maybe someday it will be a collector car. Likely not, but I can't say for sure. Can you? Stranger things have happened. Just look at an episode of "Antique Road Show" if you want to see some rediculous stuff.

An object is worth what someone (usually a fool) is willing to pay for it. :p

win
02-09-2009, 09:20 AM
These fools missed a simple opportunity to make it all good by just agreeing to replace the car.

AFAIK, replacement cost coverage is uncommon, but some auto insurance companies offer it for an additional premium.

I have replacement cost coverage for my G8 through State Auto (an Ohio company) and it is a one shot deal - you have to purchase it at the time you first insure the new car (cannot be previously titled), and you have to continuously maintain it thereafter. The additional premium was only about $20, IIRC.

If my G8 is totalled, they are contractually obligated to buy me a new one. I pay cash for cars, but I suppose if you borrowed money to buy a car, you could purchase both gap coverage and replacement cost coverage.

I still practice a little law in my state, but know nothing about the law in your state. In my state, the measure of damages to personal property is the difference in fair market value of the property immediately before and immediately after the occurrence. If someone were to wreck my G8, that is the extent of their legal obligation to me.

Insurance is very much a product that you get what you pay for, and when calamity strikes, I have never known anyone to regret purchasing sufficient coverage.

My suggestion would be to talk to a lawyer licensed to practice in your state. Sometimes state insurance departments have some additional coverage requirements that may benefit you, that only a lawyer might know about it.

Good luck.

p71
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
AFAIK, replacement cost coverage is uncommon, but some auto insurance companies offer it for an additional premium.

I have replacement cost coverage for my G8 through State Auto (an Ohio company) and it is a one shot deal - you have to purchase it at the time you first insure the new car (cannot be previously titled), and you have to continuously maintain it thereafter. The additional premium was only about $20, IIRC.

If my G8 is totalled, they are contractually obligated to buy me a new one. I pay cash for cars, but I suppose if you borrowed money to buy a car, you could purchase both gap coverage and replacement cost coverage.

I still practice a little law in my state, but know nothing about the law in your state. In my state, the measure of damages to personal property is the difference in fair market value of the property immediately before and immediately after the occurrence. If someone were to wreck my G8, that is the extent of their legal obligation to me.

Insurance is very much a product that you get what you pay for, and when calamity strikes, I have never known anyone to regret purchasing sufficient coverage.

My suggestion would be to talk to a lawyer licensed to practice in your state. Sometimes state insurance departments have some additional coverage requirements that may benefit you, that only a lawyer might know about it.

Good luck.

Given that... and the fact that they are totaling the car, then the liability is fair value of the car less zero... or the fair value of the car. Which is in the 22K range.

p71
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
That's true, USAA all the way!

While I'm at it, can I sue them for your damage too? I'm just getting warmed up brudda! :p

Isn't that the deal where some fool lost a driveshaft and it wiped out the whole under side?? :(

Sue away bro... I can use any extra scrilla you have.

R.Penguin
02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Win,
I have gap coverage on the car with State Farm, so no worries on retiring the loan.

I am going after them for the shitty way they have handled this whole thing from day 1.

So, I'm good. But I am in no hurry to settle as they have ignored the personal injury end. My wife is still hurting bad. Now they think that she may have bruised her heart. My right shoulder and back are messed up.

My insurance guy says we have 2 years from date of incident to settle. We are taking the time to assess injuries. Might take 2 years. F**k 'em. They have been total asshats so far. :loser::mad::lame::finger:

win
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
OK, well good job then, but don't forget to talk to a lawyer - wouldn't want you to leave money on the table!

And don't forget to buy replacement cost coverage on the new G8!

win
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Given that... and the fact that they are totaling the car, then the liability is fair value of the car less zero... or the fair value of the car. Which is in the 22K range.

Well, in the event of a total, FMV less salvage, but most insurance companies will buy the salvage, so yeah, as a practical matter, it's FMV immediately before the occurrence.

At least in my state, other states may be different.

On a fast depreciating piece of property like an automobile, this is always going to be a screw job for the car owner, hence the need to have the proper coverage on YOUR policy, to make good this loss.

R.Penguin
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Sue away bro... I can use any extra scrilla you have.
You got it!

R.Penguin
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
A fond farewell to the lovely Penguinmobile. Today, after I pick up the new GT I will start tearing out mods like exhaust, ECM, CAI (squashed), 19" wheels & tires, Rotofab Powder coated aluminum engine covers, DashHawk, and the infamous $2200 cutout exhaust system. Flash xpress already on the way from VMS ECM/TCM.

I hope the new one is half as good. Not one single trip to the dealer, ever.

CRAP! Probably jinxed myself now.:poof:

r33pwrd
02-10-2009, 08:22 AM
A fond farewell to the lovely Penguinmobile. Today, after I pick up the new GT I will start tearing out mods like exhaust, ECM, CAI (squashed), 19" wheels & tires, Rotofab Powder coated aluminum engine covers, DashHawk, and the infamous $2200 cutout exhaust system. Flash xpress already on the way from VMS ECM/TCM.

I hope the new one is half as good. Not one single trip to the dealer, ever.

CRAP! Probably jinxed myself now.:poof:

did you talk to them about a buy back? My friend doing the body work just got a car but I have a friend having a 56 chev restoration done. He really want a 6 speed auto and a 6.0L! Hit me up!

G8Smitty
02-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Did you pull the 888 dash trim piece as a memento?

R.Penguin
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
It's still my car. No need for a buyback. I refused their settlement and am still making the payments on the 888.

As soon as I get my exhaust system (axleback) and 19" wheels with Michelins, I think everything will be for sale. I'm too old and crippled to pull any parts myself tho' so if I part it out I'll have to have it towed someplace. Professional Collision is not charging me storage yet, but they will have to before long.

R.Penguin
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Did you pull the 888 dash trim piece as a memento?
I did. I think I am gonna add " #748, RIP".

:p

r33pwrd
02-10-2009, 11:18 AM
It's still my car. No need for a buyback. I refused their settlement and am still making the payments on the 888.

As soon as I get my exhaust system (axleback) and 19" wheels with Michelins, I think everything will be for sale. I'm too old and crippled to pull any parts myself tho' so if I part it out I'll have to have it towed someplace. Professional Collision is not charging me storage yet, but they will have to before long.

Man I feel your pain. Please let me know what I can do to help (outside of buying parts / Car...) I assume you will have to hold on to it until insurance settles on a dollar amount with you? Let me know what I can do to help!

G8Smitty
02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I did. I think I am gonna add " #748, RIP".

:p

Very nice. I would have too.

R.Penguin
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes, I will continue to pay on the loan for the 2008 as long as it takes. We may be in for a prolonged standoff with USAA due to the lack of interest they have shown as to personal injuries. :woohoo: I am ready for battle! Once we get our State Farm agent in the brawl I will have a better idea of a time frame. He has already told us we have 2 years to settle on personal injuries, and to take all the time we need to make sure we are both OK physically.:boxing: :spank: :nah:

bigtreepu
02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Good Luck Penguin. May she rest in peace.
~Matt

R.Penguin
02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Good Luck Penguin. May she rest in peace.
~Matt
Thanks. The new one is in the garage (my garage). Let the mods changeover begin!

R.Penguin
02-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Get 'em penguin!!!!!!!!!!!
They are beginning to wear down, the wussies! Finally got the 20 page evaluation report and whatta ya know? 2 of the 3 comparibles they used to come up with the $24,000 figure were not G8 GT's. 6 cyl. G8 sedans, cloth interior, etc.

So, the battle rages on......... :rofl:

chiller2484
02-26-2009, 09:28 AM
they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes! lol what a bunch of artards

confused2much
02-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Rally the troops....the battle rages on!!! Good luck with it all, I know first hand how much it all sucks.

chiefpontiac
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I knew there was a reason our state has 'no-fault'. Just this unfortunate situation. An owner in a no-fault state in the same situation deals only with their own insurance company, which pays to fix or take off your hands, whatever. Then if there really is provable fault your own insurancee company goes after the other one for the deductable. An extra advantage arises for State Farm customers in states where State Farm Bank operates, if you get your car loan from State Farm and have car insured with them they will no-questions-asked make your loan disapper if you are upside down on the loan.

As far as mods, you'll never get money for those from virtually any insurance company unless you buy declared value. And replacement coverage does not provide the newest and best, just an equivalent of as close to same year with similar mileage.

polo
08-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Penguin, I read somewhere that you totalled your first car (before I became a member here), so I read just about every thread I could find about your car. Yes, I read about you exhaust mods and all. :wacko:

What ever happened with the insurance company? Did they give you more than the original offer? Or are you still waiting? (because you have 2 years to reach a settlement). I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Sorry about the first Penguinmobile! I'm glad you didn't end up with a Hyundai as your replacement :)

BigRed585Lbs
08-31-2009, 03:02 AM
R., give 'em the BIRD!!!!!!!!

R.Penguin
08-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Penguin, I read somewhere that you totalled your first car (before I became a member here), so I read just about every thread I could find about your car. Yes, I read about you exhaust mods and all. :wacko:

What ever happened with the insurance company? Did they give you more than the original offer? Or are you still waiting? (because you have 2 years to reach a settlement). I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Sorry about the first Penguinmobile! I'm glad you didn't end up with a Hyundai as your replacement :)
The new car is the '09 PSM in my sig. We are still taking our time with the USAA Insurance people on the personal injury part. Clearrly states that damage to 3 ligaments was post crash, and cannot be repaired.

r33pwrd
08-31-2009, 11:37 AM
The new car is the '09 PSM in my sig.

You dont have a sig :)

R.Penguin
08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
You dont have a sig :)
Oh! Well WTF! :p That little picture thingy that shows that extremely beautiful and very fast PSM in the upper left corner.

I do have an upper left corner don't I? :rofl:

r33pwrd
08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Oh! Well WTF! :p That little picture thingy that shows that extremely beautiful and very fast PSM in the upper left corner.

I do have an upper left corner don't I? :rofl:

Thats a Avator not a sig :) silly Penguin :nah:

R.Penguin
08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Thats a Avator not a sig :) silly Penguin :nah:
Well, I can't keep track of my own kids names! :p

r33pwrd
08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I can't keep track of my own kids names! :p

me either and I only have 1 :)

polo
08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
So, do you still own the first one? Or did USAA finally get possession of it?

r33pwrd
08-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Insurance totalled it... I tried to buy it at the auction but it was a mess and I didnt get it (I didnt have all the proper paperwork to the yard in time for the auction) :( (my friend wanted the motor out of it)

R.Penguin
08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Insurance totalled it... I tried to buy it at the auction but it was a mess and I didnt get it (I didnt have all the proper paperwork to the yard in time for the auction) :( (my friend wanted the motor out of it)
It was a mess. Too bad, it was strong. :(

r33pwrd
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
It was a mess. Too bad, it was strong. :(

I wasnt saying it was a mess... I had called down to the auction center 3 days before it sold and the Bi*ch told me all the things I needed.. when I showed up the morning off they said "we need 24 hours to process this" I was so pissed becasue I thought it would be cool as hell to see that motor in a 56 chevy!