PDA

View Full Version : help....i can't get in

slysg8
03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Ok so i store my car for winter..the battery is dead in the car..i tried the key to open the door but it won't unlock the door

Any ideas?

SRG963
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
WD 40 the key and try again?

GRRRR8
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Put the key in the door to unlock it. Open door, reach to back door and unlock. Flip rear seat down and on the passenger side of the opening is a handle, pull handle and trunk opens. I never drive mine and have been through this 4 times.

If key does not fit door this means that the ignition key and door key are keyed different for some reason. Do try WD-40 just to see if tumblers are stuck.

slysg8
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I've tried just about everything...i can turn the key no problem towards the back of the car but when i turn it toward the front out has a resistance to it...my guess its its sized so now how ells could i get in the car or get per to the battery?

GRRRR8
03-11-2013, 02:58 PM
You have to get it open. No other option. If you could slim jim the rear door that would work, but you have to get in the car.

LBV
03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I think you're explaining how to get the trunk open from inside the car aren't you GRRR8?

He just needs to get in to the car as I understand it.

GRRRR8
03-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I think you're explaining how to get the trunk open from inside the car aren't you GRRR8?

He just needs to get in to the car as I understand it.

Correct. Most don't know how to get the trunk open when the battery is dead.

TonyKarter
03-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Will the Onstar backup battery unlock it if you call them?

slysg8
03-11-2013, 06:20 PM

That's a good question...but don't the power locks need power from the car?

slysg8
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Correct. Most don't know how to get the trunk open when the battery is dead.

I know how to get in the trunk..if i can't get in there i can go under the hood but the problem is i can't even get in the car to open said hood or utrunk

Black_Ice
03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Jack the car up and hook a battery charger to the cable on the starter .
Just be careful .

Crazy Paul
03-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Just be careful .
You sneaky fooker.....I've been thinking along similar lines all morning here. I was working along the left side of the car in my head and hadn't got around to doing the right side yet.

Slizzo
03-11-2013, 08:38 PM
That's a good question...but don't the power locks need power from the car?
No, OnStar has its own battery that can even start the car if your main battery is flat. However its only good for one start. If you have OnStar they should be able to unlock for you.

Otherwise your only option is to get that key working or slim jim as stated.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Napalm
03-12-2013, 07:58 AM
The onstar battery will not start the car - I'd have to see that to believe it - the box (at least on my 09) wasn't anywhere near large or heavy enough to carry a battery with that ability - let alone have connections large enough for starting current.

Sure you can get a smaller battery to crank over that engine but it better have a 8ga or bigger wire connection to the start circuit.

Aside from that I do think on newer car's ONSTAR module can power up the car enough to unlock the car. and I believe those modules have to be replaced after 5 years, or they have some condition monitor on them.

Not sure the g8 module has that.

On the key tumbler thing - pretty sure there is no way your door is keyed for a different key. Unless there was some major repair to your door or it will pulled off another car. As far as the cylinder being stuck I would try to shoot somethink like PB blaster on and in the key hole. (Break free, PB blaster - some penetrating oil and not WD40).

Sorry for your troubles but hopefully everyone here will go and try their key in the door occasionally.

SRG963
03-12-2013, 08:58 AM
^whatcha got against WD-40? I was told by a few locksmiths to use it....

Slizzo
03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
The onstar battery will not start the car - I'd have to see that to believe it - the box (at least on my 09) wasn't anywhere near large or heavy enough to carry a battery with that ability - let alone have connections large enough for starting current.

Sure you can get a smaller battery to crank over that engine but it better have a 8ga or bigger wire connection to the start circuit.

Aside from that I do think on newer car's ONSTAR module can power up the car enough to unlock the car. and I believe those modules have to be replaced after 5 years, or they have some condition monitor on them.

Not sure the g8 module has that.

On the key tumbler thing - pretty sure there is no way your door is keyed for a different key. Unless there was some major repair to your door or it will pulled off another car. As far as the cylinder being stuck I would try to shoot somethink like PB blaster on and in the key hole. (Break free, PB blaster - some penetrating oil and not WD40).

Sorry for your troubles but hopefully everyone here will go and try their key in the door occasionally.

The battery for the OnStar remote start is not with the OnStar box. I know it's somewhere in the vehicle, but it's separate from the main battery, and it's one-time use only. Once it's used it needs to be replaced. There were mentions of this around 5 years ago when the car first released (when I got my G8).

Napalm
03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
^whatcha got against WD-40? I was told by a few locksmiths to use it....

Its not a good lubricant.

and for the money a can of PB blaster or Penetrating oil works better.

But to the locksnmiths credit there is something to be said about using something very light - because you don't want to gum up those small parts inside the lock.

Napalm
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
The battery for the OnStar remote start is not with the OnStar box. I know it's somewhere in the vehicle, but it's separate from the main battery, and it's one-time use only. Once it's used it needs to be replaced. There were mentions of this around 5 years ago when the car first released (when I got my G8).

I don't remember seeing that in the manual for my car and I'd be curious as to where it might be

Seattle09GT
03-12-2013, 10:38 AM

No. You need power to the locks - the battery back up for OnStar is for the OnStar module. It is largely for making the automated emergency call post-accident in the event of a total power failure caused by the crash. Actually, if the battery is too weak (if you read the agreement) OnStar cannot unlock your car.

Seattle09GT
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM
No, OnStar has its own battery that can even start the car if your main battery is flat. However its only good for one start. If you have OnStar they should be able to unlock for you.

Otherwise your only option is to get that key working or slim jim as stated.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Not true.

Crazy Paul
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
ONSTAR:
Back-up Battery (BUB) (If Equipped)
Important: Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is ON or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB). This action is per design as the BUB is designed to provide power to the CIM so an emergency notification call can be made after a vehicle collision where the main battery is disabled. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Certain OnStar® equipped vehicles may also be equipped with a back-up battery (BUB). The BUB is a non-rechargeable, lithium battery intended to provide an auxiliary power source for the communication interface module (CIM) in the event of a vehicle collision where power from the main vehicle battery is lost.

The BUB is intended to have a limited life span of approximately 4 years and is designed to maintain an open circuit voltage between 16V and 9V throughout this period. This allows the battery to power the basic functions of the CIM for least one 200 second (5 minute) call at the end of the 4 year span, should a main vehicle battery loss collision occur.

The BUB is connected to the CIM through the back-up battery positive voltage circuit and back-up battery ground circuit and is protected from a short circuit by means of an internal fuse. In the event the BUB battery positive voltage circuit is shorted to the BUB ground circuit or chassis ground, the fuse will open and render the back-up battery permanently inoperable. The status of the back-up battery and its associated wiring is monitored by the CIM.

CIM = Communication Interface Module

Edit: GM Service Docs say the Back Up Battery is located somewhere near the centre of the rear parcel shelf.

slysg8
03-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Just be careful .

i was just thinking that i just hope it wont blow the relay ... now i just have to wait for a bit more snow to melt ..

where is the starter ? passenger side if im not mistaking?

Crazy Paul
03-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Napalm
03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I think some of the newer car do indeed have a larger battery back up for onstar remote start. It sounds like something they would add - especially for something like a tahoe or a caddy.

Meanwhile - did you try your key again. Sounds like the simplest solution - you mention snow and whatnot. was there ice/snow on the door and window by chance.

could it be that the key hole got frozen inside. might just need a bit of heat.

Slizzo
03-12-2013, 08:14 PM
ONSTAR:
Back-up Battery (BUB) (If Equipped)
Important: Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is ON or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB). This action is per design as the BUB is designed to provide power to the CIM so an emergency notification call can be made after a vehicle collision where the main battery is disabled. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

Certain OnStar® equipped vehicles may also be equipped with a back-up battery (BUB). The BUB is a non-rechargeable, lithium battery intended to provide an auxiliary power source for the communication interface module (CIM) in the event of a vehicle collision where power from the main vehicle battery is lost.

The BUB is intended to have a limited life span of approximately 4 years and is designed to maintain an open circuit voltage between 16V and 9V throughout this period. This allows the battery to power the basic functions of the CIM for least one 200 second (5 minute) call at the end of the 4 year span, should a main vehicle battery loss collision occur.

The BUB is connected to the CIM through the back-up battery positive voltage circuit and back-up battery ground circuit and is protected from a short circuit by means of an internal fuse. In the event the BUB battery positive voltage circuit is shorted to the BUB ground circuit or chassis ground, the fuse will open and render the back-up battery permanently inoperable. The status of the back-up battery and its associated wiring is monitored by the CIM.

CIM = Communication Interface Module

Edit: GM Service Docs say the Back Up Battery is located somewhere near the centre of the rear parcel shelf.

I always remembered there being talk of it having enough juice to start the car when the main battery was flat. If that's not true then my recollections are of course bad.

LDM
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
The ONSTAR battery has 20AWG wire going to it. I'd love to see what happens if you tried to crank the engine over through a wire 1/32" in diameter

LDM
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
For those still curious, here is where the OnStar battery is:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/c2170f5a-ef32-45c9-8dd1-1bd5cfd9d8bf.jpg

TonyKarter
03-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I think we kinda' lost our focus here. Don't crank it, just call Onstar and have them open the door.

slysg8
03-14-2013, 01:02 PM
well the snow has melted a lot and the day i tried was about 8 degrees Celsius that is about 46 Fahrenheit so i doubt it would be frozen

im not subscribed to on star so that wont work

so far all i can think of doing is jack the car up disconnect the positive lead to the starter and connect jumper cables to it unless someone has a better idea

tchr49
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Have you at least touched base with OnStar to see if they can help you? Form the time it takes to make the call,
it might be worth your while.

slysg8
03-14-2013, 01:25 PM
ok so i just called on star ...turns out i am still subscribed ...they can not do anything to the car if the main car battery is dead all the backup battery can do is place an emergency call to onstar in case of a collision and can not offer power to unlock or start the car ... but they are sending roadside to try and unlock the car . dont know how that will go cuz i am a tow truck driver for CAA canadian version of AAA and i tried for a good 45 mins at unlocking the car with no success

tchr49
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey, it's part of your coverage, so it's worth a try.
Hope it works.

TonyKarter
03-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Okay, so how'd that tow truck call out work for ya'?

TonyKarter
03-14-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm confused: the Onstar battery can't unlock the door, but it CAN start the car one time...which would charge the battery...which would allow the unlocking of the door. What am I missing here?

Slizzo
03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm confused: the Onstar battery can't unlock the door, but it CAN start the car one time...which would charge the battery...which would allow the unlocking of the door. What am I missing here?

I believe I may have been incorrect.

slysg8
03-14-2013, 10:30 PM

it can NOT start the car and it can NOT unlock the doors in CAN make an emergency call to onstar in a collision and does so on its own after airbags have been deployed ONLY

slysg8
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Okay, so how'd that tow truck call out work for ya'?

well with no sucsses the car is still locked two options left ...A: a hammer to the lil side window B: jack the car and try to get under and boost it ..either way i cant do any of them till a bit more snow melts

Seattle09GT
03-14-2013, 11:19 PM

No, no, no. The OnStar battery has one purpose and one purpose only. In the event of a severe collision and the main battery has failed, been destroyed, or severed, the OnStar battery can make one call, for accident notification, and stay on call for about five minutes. The one call is automatic, and it is to the OnStar crash response center.

That is all the battery does. It won't start the car, unlock the doors, honk the horn or flash the lights. Also, once used the battery is dead it must be replaced. However in an accident that severe, the car is almost certainly a total loss.

Crazy8
03-15-2013, 07:16 AM
well with no sucsses the car is still locked two options left ...A: a hammer to the lil side window B: jack the car and try to get under and boost it ..either way i cant do any of them till a bit more snow melts

Beware of the old hammer to the window trick! :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSTAcYl0_w

SRG963
03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
You have to get it open. No other option. If you could slim jim the rear door that would work, but you have to get in the car.

Instead of breaking glass,this is your best bet. Call a Taxi service, ask for them to send someone out with a SJ and pay them to gain entry. You will have to show them ID with matching registration.

TailG8er
03-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Call a locksmith or do you have any tools for getting into a locked car?

I have a complete set, the ones that would work would pry out the top door frame and there is a long rod that can be used to unlock the door at the handle. Pretty easy job.

Where are you located?

Napalm
03-15-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't know that a slim jim will work on these cars. Don't they go to some effort to make them SJ proof?

I still don't see why the key's not working. Unless frozen up completely. However you end up getting in the car - check in to your key situation and report back. Please.

waltjrUM
03-15-2013, 09:38 AM
For the slim jim I think it just depends. If you know or can study the inside door mechanism schematics first it could work. 10 years ago I remember a slim jim failure on my mom's car. Basically a lot of the mechanisms were made of plastic even by then, so if you didn't know exactly what to go for and get it on the first shot, you ended up breaking the mechanism and costing yourself even more money, in addition to still needing to get in the car first.

GRRR8GT
03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I think your on the right track TailG8er. They used to say a coat hanger and a prybar. SJ's are tough on these cars because the mechanism is cable actuated. Only way I could get in was with a coat hanger and it wasn't that easy because the door don't want to move out very far. There is a fancy battery tender on it now over the winters. Good luck!

09blkg8gt
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Another idea you could try is, remove the upper radiator grill so that you can access the hood release cable (I think they just pull out). Pull the cable, then pop the hood. Then just hook up a charger to the jump leads under the hood.

slysg8
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Instead of breaking glass,this is your best bet. Call a Taxi service, ask for them to send someone out with a SJ and pay them to gain entry. You will have to show them ID with matching registration.
i guess you missed the part that im a tow truck driver for CAA the canadian version of AAA i have a lockout kit and i still cant get in

slysg8
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
alright heres what i have tried so far ... i have two lock out kits one is an air pump that pries the door apart and you go in with a long rod ...no go its hard to push it forward ive tried for a good 2 hours

2nd kit is a special rod that has many bends in it so you can go in by the bottom of the window turn it a bit then go up into the car on the other side of the window ...no go

onstar ...no go

roadside ...no go

my brain ...dont know

slysg8
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
does some one have a picture of the hood realese lever inside the car ? i forget where it is

tchr49
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Take a flashlight and look in through the upper front grilles. The hood cable is in plain sight. Comes across from the drivers side and loops in from the passenger side.

slysg8
03-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Take a flashlight and look in through the upper front grilles. The hood cable is in plain sight. Comes across from the drivers side and loops in from the passenger side.

i meant the latch in the car ... i cant get to the front of the car ...its parked right up to the house :hang:

tchr49
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Latch inside the car is in line directly below the headlight switch at the bottom of the dash panel. It's not a real hard pull, at least on my car. Just haven't figured out how you can get at it yet.
As far as the car being up against the house, could you put a jack under the rear and roll the car out a bit?

Shredmo
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Have you tried the keyless entry since the temps have risen?
While unlikely, maybe there would be an extremely light gain in battery performance due to temps. Worth a shot.

tchr49
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Have you tried the keyless entry since the temps have risen?
While unlikely, maybe there would be an extremely light gain in battery performance due to temps. Worth a shot.

Is the battery in your fob good?

slysg8
03-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Is the battery in your fob good?

yes tried that ....some one have a pic of the under dash that shows the hood latch?

slysg8
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo im in im in im in :brock::cheers::beer3::headbang::theman::woohoo::f riday:

slysg8
03-15-2013, 12:53 PM
so i used the air jack to pry the top of the door open reached in with a long rod grabed onto the hood latch and:poof: the hood opened put jumpers on it and started the car oh that sweet sound :watch:

slysg8
03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
thanks all for your hellp it was great to see the help i got from this forum

waltjrUM
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Edit: Posted late.

ozz1368
07-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Will hooking up to the starter still work if the battery has been removed from the car? I took it out to charge and/or replace, and now My key will not open the door either? Why did they make a lock all electronic?