PDA

View Full Version : X-Pipe Location?

SRG963
02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
I have seen many people replace the center muff with a X-pipe.

I remember hearing that the closer to the engine it is, the better.
Is this true?
Would it be better to have the X-pipe closer to the cats rather than in the middle of the car?

I'm planning on adding the X-pipe to the stock exhaust, and just wanted all available info about the subject.

Thanks in advance!

GRRRR8
02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Put the X where the mid muffler is.

Chief
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
On the prototype exhaust I have from magnaflow, the X pipe is closer to the cats, in front of where the mid resonator was. Even though I have a V6, I'd think the placement should be about the same. I can measure it to find out exactly how far back it is if you like.

SRG963
02-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Put the X where the mid muffler is.

That's what most people are doing. But seems like aftermarket systems have the x closer to the cats.
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd355/paycheck409/IMG_1988.jpg

SRG963
02-05-2009, 06:56 AM
On the prototype exhaust I have from magnaflow, the X pipe is closer to the cats, in front of where the mid resonator was. Even though I have a V6, I'd think the placement should be about the same. I can measure it to find out exactly how far back it is if you like.

That would be GRRRR8!

ronbuick
02-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Do you plan on keeping the center muff?? or removing it and moving the x-pipe closer to the cats and removing the muff also or?? Just because Magnaflow puts it closer to the cats does not prove it is any more efficent one way or the other!

Ron

GRRRR8
02-05-2009, 07:08 AM
The mid muffler acts as a balance tube as well. X placement as well as H is to balance the exhaust gases. Its position is determined by the hot spots in the exhaust. If you have a whole cat back system and the diameter of the pipe is different and it has less resonators/muffs etc, naturally it will move. If you are just getting rid of the mid muffler and resonators, putting it where the mid muffler is fine. Bottom line is you are not going to get more HP one way or the other. If a mandrel bent cat back thats 2.5 gets MAYBE 10 HP and thats a big maybe, X location is going to have very little effect on HP or drone.

EcoBrick Bob
02-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Are you installing axlebacks with your x-pipe?

I have an H-pipe on my 08'.. Originally, I also had SF axlebacks w/ magnaflows. When I moved them to my 09' and put stock mufflers on 08' with the H-pipe, I get lots of vibration at " in town " speeds from the DOD with stock ECM , though the sound is better than stock. DOD will be turned off when I get my VMS ECM back from Kirk. On the 09' with the center muffler in place, the magnaflow axlebacks (with about 9k break in Mi. from 08') are almost perfect, though have had VMS turn DOD off.

My biggest issue with aftermarket mufflers & H-pipe/ mid muffler removal, is the noticeable on-off of the DOD. Really annoying in back seat. Is definitely worse after mufflers are broken in. Finally had to just tune it off!

Will be interested in your take on sound with x-pipe.

-Ray-
02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
This is where my Stolen Fox H pipe was located.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/G8%20exhaust/StolenFoxXpipe.jpg

cobrakid
02-05-2009, 07:50 AM
....FYI... from your friendly neighborhood cheap ass... LOL.....

I simply replaced about a 43 inch section and removed all resonators.

I read where you want the "X" toward the back for better drone control.

I think, as stated, it doesn't matter too much, in the pic of their system you show, it may
be more toward the front b/c the back section still has a resonator in it.

Below is a picture of mine.

Good luck.

I had $45 in the stainless "X" from ebay (did again, I woulda got mild steel) I had to pay
$80 to have the "X" welded to the standard mild pipe sections.
Because it was tigged with special wire....nice neat job too.
Then my buddy and I cut out, fitted and welded the system up.
Had to weld/fill a little more, b/c we used 2.5 pipes and didn't want any reducers used.

came out good, and I am happy. $125 spent.

With the stock mufflers with the "washer noise trick" I barely notice any drone, and the tuner couldn't
really tell when the AFM was kicking in and out either.

SRG963
02-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Are you installing axlebacks with your x-pipe?

Nope, I'm keeping the stock muffs for now.

I don't want more noise, just more power :)

Thanks for all the helpful info guys :headbang: