PDA

View Full Version : finally got tuned.....holy CoW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

cobrakid
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
After much deliberation, and weighing different tuning and cost scenarios, I decided to call Chuck CoW after Grrrr8's nice comments.

Chuck from Corvettes of Westchester in NY, talked a good game, and got me on the schedule quick.
So after some nervous tension I went yesterday to get my custom tune.
What a crappy weather day for any kind of road testing, and tuning.....

Wow..........I was super impressed with his shop, his computer talent, and you couldn't have asked for a nicer more down to earth guy.

I also met Bill another member, (tough Ignition orange G8) he was super cool too. Showed me his car and mods.

My little G8 was amongst some strong looking Vettes in the shop being worked on, and Chuck dropped everything to accomodate me.
That told me right away how he treats customers and people alike.
I am sure some of the Vettes were under going some expensive mods, and
even though I just needed some custom tuning, I felt special.

Anyway, I told Chuck I wanted the car to be "nice" enough for my wife everyday, and a monster at the track.

So we commenced our snowy weather road tuning......fun sliding into third while looking for police...... not recommended, but he knew I wanted it done.

Chuck literally spent a total of 3 solid hours tuning, and re-tuning my G8's ecm and trans abilities.

Not that the first flash wasn't almost dead on, but this is the kind of guy Chuck is......

He took his time, actually explained and showed me what he was tweaking, and made minor simple adjustments over and over again.

The A/F is almost dead nuts perfect and flat the entire power curve, almost zero knock retard across the entire rpm range, and tranny capabilities that GM ought to employ from the factory.

The car now shifts very nice at moderate throttle, downs shifts quickly to the appropriate gears when needed, and
gets down right viscious at full throttle.

The drivability, and nicer driving experience now cannot fully be explained, it must be felt.
Before the car kinda hunted for the appropriate gear, and took a while to get it's shit together.... now, instant gratification.

He even went the extra mile (even though my car is not heavily modded) to wide band it.
He did this as a favor, b/c I traveled so far, and I am sorta hard core when it comes to gaining every little hair of performance.
Again, from the start the tunes were almost perfect, but being as I can't just zip up to him for slight FREE adjustments, he wanted me happy.

My opinion, the guy is a computer genius, as well as an astute mechanic....these things are important rather than
just modifying a few tables in a vast programming chart.

This car runs perfect all throughout the power band, whether you are driving normal and smooth, trying to pass, or flat punching it.

I sure did learn a lot and have found a new tuner aquaintance/and professional friend.

sshhh..... he even showed me how he can hide the tune from GM's watchful eye in the event of a warranty type situation. sshh

The car is safe, and hauls ass now....I also noticed the "car" has a different more hostile muscular sound now.
It might have something to do with all of the efficiency points being dialed in better...I don't know????
* he was also impressed with my home-made CAI that actually "sucked" dam good. actual comparisons with real kits will be kept
hush hush, as to not to offend anyone. LOL

Hey, I am all for impressive dyno numbers, but being a real drag racer for over 20 years.....I THINK road/load tuning is the best you
can get with real world numbers. You get to see, hear and fell the car on the road where you drive and race it.

Chuck's ability to squeeze more usable power down low and throughout the car's range is seriously neat.
Anyone can adjust the car to chirp 2nd gear, shift a little better, and gain some peak hp & tq at WOT.
The measure of a great mechanic, and tuner is usable power maximized thorughout the powerband.

NOW......for my measured performance opinions.

I had him leave DOD/AFM in on the top gears for gas mileage and comparison.
With that being said I picked up almost a full 2 mpg on the way home.
4.5 hours there, and 5 hours home in the snowy wet conditions.
She might have a little more mpg in her when the weather is better, the variation due to the inclement weather surely messed up my figures?

Since it was majorly nasty and wet almost the entire way home, I didn't get good measurements on the trusty DashHawk.
I did however, run a damp 1/4 when I was almost home...just to compare.
I took off pretty easy with TC on, and feathered first...boom 12.90 @109.
This was my first half-assed attempt to see what the GT would do.

My old usual times in similar conditions (except dry) pulled consistent 13.1s or so. My best ever, once was a 12.89 on a 22* day with burnout ect.

This morning, before my wife left for work, I left real quick in her car, and took it around my country block. on the nice dry pavement.

After I warmed it up, I did (2) 0-60s.
first TC on.....flat punch in Normal. 4.36 Cool!
2nd with slight burnout, and TC off flat punch.....4.24. HOT DAM!!!!!
YES !!!!!! my prevoius all time best in a little colder temps was (2) 4.5s.
It says a lot to pick up 3 tenths in just 60mph, on a 10* warmer day.

Once again, this is new found power you can actually feel, and don't mind spending money to attain.

My wife (after a call to her work today) also noticed the improved quickness of acceleration and shifting.
She also said when she gives it a little gas now, the response is better, and felt like it wasn't lugging as much.
(she's a pretty smart car chick you know. LOL)

I look forward to testing some more (pre track opening) with some dry
1/4 mile runs, with burnouts, and I am confident I can click off some 12.6-7s?

Now granted it's a DashHawk, but it's close! mph also picked in the 1/4 almost 2 solid !
The track is definately the proof, but until then.....gotta do something.

Fire your questions away, as I am totally stoked about the whole experience.
It was a long day, but Chuck CoW made me feel special with my little V8 family car LOL.

more #s to come.....stay tuned.

Sorry so long, I just wanted to give you guys my detailed opinions with my great experience with CHUCK CoW......:)

99-LS1-SS
02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
That is very cool! Chuck sounds like a great guy! I'm glad you are happy with your car.

r33pwrd
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
That is very cool! Chuck sounds like a great guy! I'm glad you are happy with your car.

+1 nothing better than feeling like the money was well spent! now get to the track!

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Congrats! I am trying to get my ET Streets so I can see how far in the 12s it goes. Maybe hookin with a converter I can get 1 12.0 with a stock motor. Time will tell.

GeorgeInNePa
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Great write up.

I'm going to give Chuck a call when the Vararam hits the market.

cobrakid
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
....just for reference, or comparison, here are my mods......

Home-made CAI, 4 inch plastic pipe with 12 inch S&B (K&N type) filter down near the
hole I cut in the plastic under cowl.

HSRK (IAT) now in the tube after the bend downward in the tube.

Heat hoses relocated, engine cover (center) cut out, and plenum cover removed.

2 small holes drilled in the t-stat to keep temps around 180ish.

I have not installed my catch filter thing yet, but I have a Home Depot model. LOL

Home-Made X-pipe center section that is 2.5 inches and removes all resonators.

new Chuck CoW tune.

as you can see, not that much done, but awesome bang for the buck, she flies.
Can't wait for a track to open, so I can try this baby out.
Also have GTO rims, and trying to obtain some used 275 DRs........

*pic below is CAI before I modded it a little, and dressed up engine compartment a little.

confused2much
02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Great write-up....wish I was closer...

Blackdevil77
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
That's awsome! Chuck sounds like an awsome guy! As for your tune results, sounds very similar to my Kaltech tune. My average rwhp and torque increased more than my peak. Looking at the graph, the tune line was significantly higher than the stock line throughout the rpm range.

-Ray-
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
GRRRR8 write up. Thanks for sharing your story.

cobrakid
02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I am Cobrakid's wife and I must say that my car is one bad machine now. Thanks Chuck CoW!!!

GT G8
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
+1 nothing better than feeling like the money was well spent! now get to the track!

+2

Chuck CoW
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I am Cobrakid's wife and I must say that my car is one bad machine now. Thanks Chuck CoW!!!

You're VERY WELCOME Mrs. COBRAKID!

Glad that the girls are enjoying My tunes!:woohoo:

Chuck CoW

steve b.
06-01-2009, 06:45 PM
i wish there was somebody like that in sacramento area