PDA

View Full Version : Driving without mufflers

twort
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Is it bad to drive with the mufflers off to see what the sound is like before I go with the straight pipes. Also if you drove like this and then put on axle back or catback system how did the sound compair?

wreckwriter
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
No muffs at all? It'll be loud.

R.Penguin
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Is it bad to drive with the mufflers off to see what the sound is like before I go with the straight pipes. Also if you drove like this and then put on axle back or catback system how did the sound compair?
Won't hurt anything. The L-76 is actually not too loud without mufflers. For me the glass paks toned it down just a bit and mellowed it out with a deep rumble. Lot's of burbling too. NASCAR sound.

twort
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I just took off the axle backs. I still have the mid resonator on. I am worried that it is now pointing at the tires. And yes I did drive up to the store and back and think it is too loud but would like to drive around a little more and would like to hear what others think the sound would compair to their setups sound wise. I just don't want to hurt anything driving like this for a few days.

wreckwriter
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Mine, with Kooks axle-backs, is about as loud as cops will take without stopping me.

Slizzo
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Mine, with Kooks axle-backs, is about as loud as cops will take without stopping me.

Yeah, but in all fairness you're also running LTs. :). I was also considering doing this to test sound before bringing it to my local trusted exhaust shop. I'd only drive it say a mile or so to check it out.

But I would say as long as you don't drive it a long distance that way no harm no foul.

PantherGTBlack
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Check out the magnaflows in my signature, i got them cheap at the time(they've went up a bit now) from dotcomparts.com. Anyhow, mine is a stock exhaust besides my axle back and i only have about $300 invested including parts and labor. Has a nice mellow sound but still sounds aggressive under WOT with a good burble on deceleration. I need to get a video posted soon.

GRRRR8
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I cannot disclose to you since they aren't a vendor

I never heard of that rule. You can post as a member where you went, what you bought and how much you paid. The vendor you bought it from cant if they are not a vendor.

Blackdevil77
02-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Won't hurt anything. The L-76 is actually not too loud without mufflers. For me the glass paks toned it down just a bit and mellowed it out with a deep rumble. Lot's of burbling too. NASCAR sound.

Isn't that because of the stock exhaust on it? Even without mufflers theres still that mid muffler and resonators under the car.

todds87ss
02-04-2009, 06:19 AM
yes, The stock exhaust tones the noise down a good bit. But the drone (inside the car noise) is HORRIBLE. Drove mine for a week that way. Will not attract the law, and OK for short trips. I definatley decided to go another route, as I drive mine an hour each way to work.

Chewy
02-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Check out the magnaflows in my signature, i got them cheap from another site which I cannot disclose to you since they aren't a vendor, but you can PM me, etc.

YEAH... This ISN'T the board!

We don't have that rule. Just vendors can't come here selling their wares without approval.

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah I was kinda like WTF? I never heard of it for sure!

Chooch
02-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Related i think, so will just axle backs on a stock system have a drone issue? and will they really sound any better? I have money saved for a Vararam and want to get axle backs, but with 2 kids and driving them around, dont want the drone, plus wifey as lovely as she is, when she gets her Italian up, not a good day for me so I have to keep sound levels in check.

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
It just depends on the muffs you pic.

twort
02-04-2009, 09:17 AM
so any recommendations? Also back to my original question. Will I do any damage to the car driving with the axel backs off?

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 10:05 AM
No damage.

twort
02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
okay thanks Charlie.

Mav
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Ive been driving around for about two weeks with the muff's off. Highway drone is annoying and it can be a little loud, but it's not over-bearing. I'm trying to decide what to do myself.

Chooch
02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Charlie, I was thinking the Kooks Gen 2 axle backs, seems to be nice sounding, just I dont want drone or very little. I know Magnaflow I believe makes them, just torn more or less :( hate choices like these

twort, as far as no mufflers, only thing I cansee like any car is with out the exhaust piping exiting the back or sides, possible chance of exhaust migrating inside the car if it dumps under it. Moving would not be an issue, but idling may or in traffic. could be wrong but seems logical

Slizzo
02-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Ive been driving around for about two weeks with the muff's off. Highway drone is annoying and it can be a little loud, but it's not over-bearing. I'm trying to decide what to do myself.

This could be because it's dumping the sound directly under your car. Either dynamat (or a like material) on the trunk floor or pipes extending the exhaust out to the back of the car may make the sound more bearable.

foreosu
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure this has been posted here before, but its relavent to the thread, so here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCiupT501yQ

twort
02-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I put the mufflers back on. Way to loud and the drone was very bad. I played around with washer mod and as other posts have stated I am down to one washer on the bottom and none on the top. Anything more and the drone was very bad. I had one washer on top and bottom, went and picked up my wife from work and it took her about 30 seconds to call me a redneck. LOL. I haven't had her in the car this new way to see if she notices a different from stock. It definitely was to loud to have a normal conversation.

Mav
02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
meh, its not that bad. :nah:

syP
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
been driving mine about a week... bone stock without the stock axle backs..

it actually sounds really good. I thought it would sound like complete garbage. Now i wish i didnt order 1 set of mufflers online. Oh well :)

bigwillys58
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
No muffs at all? It'll be loud.
mine are off and it still aint loud enough:uhm: must be my youngness kickin in again...