PDA

View Full Version : Box or shipping stuff for a Driveshaft??? ideas? boxes??

gr8lover
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Just curious if anyone has something to ship a driveshaft in? Looking for a driveshaft box or other box or container that would fit a driveshaft and ship safely?...

Drivehaft is 62" long, width of 8.5" (one small portion of the driveshaft middle) and only a 4.5" height.. This would be the minimum size that would work.

Need something sturdy so as to not hurt the shaft or bearing brace.

I originally thought of shipping in pvc tubing but the middle brg support is 8.5" wide and not feasible in tubing.

if anyone has anything that i could use I would love to borrow it or buy it... if you are anywhere from toledo to clarkston to chesterfield to really anywhere in detroit area or toledo would be great....

well if anyone has anything that would work or ideas on how to get ahold of something.... shoot me a pm or post...

thanks much!!

Crazy Paul
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
--Phone up a shop which installs lots of new driveshafts & ask them if they have a suitable surplus packaging case laying around.
--Wrap both ends and a section each side of the centre bearing in bubblewrap until it's all the same large diameter.....then go to a Salvage yard and try to find a long section of thin wall metal tube.....like for an inside the house wood fired heater.

WickedMom
02-01-2013, 08:35 PM
I would be happy to ask GForce. I know it costs $25 to ship a driveshaft, due to size so it would probably be that much to have them send an empty box.. not sure how much you are looking to spend

MIEngineer
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Cost me $25 to ship an empty box. Once its over a certain size...box size sucks!

todds87ss
02-02-2013, 06:02 AM
got mine a few weeks ago...wrapped in bubble wrap. /that's it.

Greg@PacePerformance
02-02-2013, 06:17 AM
I've shipped them just wrapped up also. We get them from GM w/o a box.

Boostpatrol
02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
I have shipped my th400 DS in two Fed Ex triangular shipping tubes. works mint!

gr8lover
02-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks everybody! Bubble wrap only scares me for some reason... i have seen our shipping guys and that scares me alot!!! I will try the local driveshaft places and see if they have something that would work.... I will have to check out the fed ex boxes but I glanced at them and didnt think the brg support brace would fit. shipping a one pc driveshaft would be really easy but this two pc with the really wide brg support steel bracket makes it really odd..

thx again for the ideas.

Anybody near michigan happen to have something in their garage to ship this thing?...

thx again

Bob the Noob
02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
One option might be to get a good sized box or wood crate, and then a few cans of the "expanding foam" from a hardware store. Cover it with some thicker plastic sheeting (also at a hardware store, paint section for drop cloths), spray the foam around it and it should hold it/protect from bumps.

Daniel Linnett
02-05-2013, 08:30 AM
after my first fiasco shipping my diff I built a box with 5/32 plywood and 1x2. box weighed about 20lbs and shipped weight was 90lbs. Only cost me $50 to ship it so I was impressed. Worth the piece of mine IMHO