PDA

View Full Version : Needing your opinions on port and polishing

Atradies
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I was looking at getting my throttle body and intake manifold port and polished, what are your thoughts on that and has anyone here done it yet, thanks.

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 07:58 PM
FasterProms is the way to go! I was one of the 1st and the throttle response is unreal.

SLVRG8GT
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
FasterProms is the way to go! I was one of the 1st and the throttle response is unreal.

What is entailed in removing it? Do they have cores for exchange?

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
What is entailed in removing it? Do they have cores for exchange?

Yes they do. It takes me maybe 30 minutes. I think a novice can do it in an hour.

Featherburner
02-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes they do. It takes me maybe 30 minutes. I think a novice can do it in an hour.You may want to check on that. Last week they were out of cores. Let me tell you how I know.

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
You may want to check on that. Last week they were out of cores. Let me tell you how I know.

LOL! OK, yes they do have cores....WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

TheTugBoat
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm getting an email once they get the cores back. will post up

GeorgeInNePa
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I was looking at getting my throttle body and intake manifold port and polished, what are your thoughts on that and has anyone here done it yet, thanks.

Fan of DUNE?

rclinton
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes they do. It takes me maybe 30 minutes. I think a novice can do it in an hour.

It took me about 2 hours at the Base auto hobby shop, but about an hour of that was talking to everyone who came over to see the car.

You may want to check on that. Last week they were out of cores. Let me tell you how I know.

Just sent back my stock core today so there is hope on the way.

GRRRR8
02-03-2009, 05:37 AM
It took me about 2 hours at the Base auto hobby shop, but about an hour of that was talking to everyone who came over to see the car.

Thats always my problem too. Less talk and more work! lol

-Ray-
02-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Took me about 4 hours at -15 degrees F.
I also broke something. LOL
I can't feel my hands now......

GRRRR8
02-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Took me about 4 hours at -15 degrees F.
I also broke something. LOL
I can't feel my hands now......

LMAO! You need to get the garage finished!

-Ray-
02-03-2009, 05:50 AM
LMAO! You need to get the garage finished!

LOL
I can't. I have a foot of snow on the ground here. Another 2" this morning. BTW, my solenoid I broke is in. Local dealer matched Greg's price for me.
I'll have my G8 running this weekend. Supposed to be almost 50.
[/off topic]

r33pwrd
02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
anyone done back to back dyno times or 1/4 runs vs stock? I am interested in this but my past history on the TBSS is that there is no HP to be gained with porting of TB or intake manifold... I hope its not the same on the G8!

-Ray-
02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
anyone done back to back dyno times or 1/4 runs vs stock? I am interested in this but my past history on the TBSS is that there is no HP to be gained with porting of TB or intake manifold... I hope its not the same on the G8!

There are dyno sheets up for this. Search is your friend.

r33pwrd
02-03-2009, 10:53 AM
There are dyno sheets up for this. Search is your friend.

Search was done but no results on our motor... only on LS2 LS7 ect.

GRRRR8
02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I believe it was 12hp on a stock motor.

Ktlplxm
02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Fan of DUNE?
Hope not, Frank Herbert would turn in his grave seeing the Duke's name spelled in such a way lol

r33pwrd
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I believe it was 12hp on a stock motor.

Not bad at all!

GeorgeInNePa
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Hope not, Frank Herbert would turn in his grave seeing the Duke's name spelled in such a way lol

I know, but I saw the name and thought "Atreides", the spelling is wrong but would work phonetically.

BTW, I am reading some of Brian Herbert's Dune prequel books. Good stuff.

Featherburner
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Just sent back my stock core today so there is hope on the way.
LOL. Hope is reinstalled in my car already.

GRRRR8
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
LOL. Hope is reinstalled in my car already.

The hope your wife doesnt find out what you are thinking about buying for the cars! LOL!

Atradies
02-04-2009, 05:33 AM
Lol yea that’s where I came up with the name a while back but I modified it so it would be easier to get, you would be surprised how many people have the name Atreides, which is always taken.

But thanks for the help guys I received more replies on here than any other forum. One question though does it really matter who I take it to, because I found a guy locally who has a good reputation in my area for porting and polishing but I seem to notice FasterProms also is well known and fairly priced.

Will it make that much of a difference for who does it because I would much rather have someone else take it off and put it back on for me since I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks

GeorgeInNePa
02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
On another board, there's a Muad'dib, Stilgar, just about any literary character you can think of.

We even have a Zaphod (Beeblebrox) over there.

Welcome to the board!

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Lol yea that’s where I came up with the name a while back but I modified it so it would be easier to get, you would be surprised how many people have the name Atreides, which is always taken.

But thanks for the help guys I received more replies on here than any other forum. One question though does it really matter who I take it to, because I found a guy locally who has a good reputation in my area for porting and polishing but I seem to notice FasterProms also is well known and fairly priced.

Will it make that much of a difference for who does it because I would much rather have someone else take it off and put it back on for me since I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks

LS2 PortWorks is very well known for porting also.

Featherburner
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
The hope your wife doesnt find out what you are thinking about buying for the cars! LOL!She's cool with it. Something will get delivered and she asks "how much horsepower does this add?" or "what does this do?" She knows she married a hot rodder.

djchubbs
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
does the ecm have to be flashed and would a machine shop be able to do this or should a person be cautious and this should be unfindable for warranty purposes right

GeorgeInNePa
02-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Some tuners say there is no need to change the tune for a ported intake and throttle body.

Other tuners say there are things that can be changed.

If you are running a factory tune, a custom tune can only help.