PDA

View Full Version : iPod Integration

TCorzett
02-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I am considering purchasing a G8 (either ’08 or ’09 GT). I have spent some time reading forums and have learned a bunch about the OEM (Blaupunkt) head unit.

I currently have a ’02 Grand Prix and used a PAC-Audio AUXPOD with an AB-GM9 adapter to hook into the OEM head unit. The iPod is stored in the center console and is controlled by the steering wheel controles. I would like to have something similar if I was to get a G8... what options are available?

I have seen the VIM setups, which could be really cool (I'd love a back-up camera)... but it appears that there is no control of the iPod from the steering wheel (skipping songs mostly).

I have seen the installs that use the AUX jack on the front of the head unit, which could work, but would prefer to have a hidden install with the iPod out of sight (like the glove compartment) where I don't need to use the iPod for controlling the audio.

Looking at PAC-Audio they appear to have a products that work with General Motors 11bit GMLAN radios (uPAC-GM11/b), 29bit GMLAN radios (uPAC-GM29), and Class2 databus radios with a BAND or XM button (uPAC-GMC2). Does anyone know if the '08/'09 Blaupunkt head unit is of one of these types? Is the '09 G8 with XM a Class2 databus radio? I'd contact PAC-Audio, but I can't tell them much as I don't know anything about the head units that are in the '08 or '09 G8.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd...

GRRRR8
02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
There are a few members that are into this stuff that are not on now. They will know how to help.

jnak
02-02-2009, 07:56 AM
I am not sure there are any iPod integration kits readily available right now. If you want one, I am sure they will be appearing on the market eventually.

Most people are using the front aux. I am using the rear aux with VIM so I can play videos on the go. I put RCA jacks in the centre console and that's where my iPod hides when it's not in use. I have to use the iPod to control everything, but the little cubby across from the e-brake works well to hold the iPod when driving.

TCorzett
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I am using the rear aux with VIM
When you say rear aux, do yo mean the one on the side (accessible via the panel after you remove the glove compartment? or is there also a set of aux on the rear of the head unit? When you use the VIM, are you using anything else with the iPod (dock, etc.)? What do you have displaying on the screen when listening to normal music? Do you get cover flow and stuff? song titles, etc.?

the little cubby across from the e-brake works well to hold the iPod when driving.
I was thinking of doing the little GPS unit in the cubby thing. The low position isn't an issue as I so rarely need GPS, but the 'finished' look of that placement is nice for the money (well, from pictures).

-Todd...

jnak
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Rear aux is the one on the side of the radio. With an iPod, if you are just listening to music, the screen is blank. You can get a dock that will output song information but I don't have that. I also have a rear view camera rigged up to turn on when I put the car in reverse.

The little cubby I am talking about is not the one under the radio, it's the one beside the window controls (on the passenger side of the console). It sounds like you're talking about the one under the radio?

rfs0apd
02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I am installing a xm radio and I want to use the rear jack. Please supply some good instructions to get to it. Thanks

GEE8GEETEE
02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Rear aux is the one on the side of the radio. With an iPod, if you are just listening to music, the screen is blank. You can get a dock that will output song information but I don't have that. I also have a rear view camera rigged up to turn on when I put the car in reverse.

The little cubby I am talking about is not the one under the radio, it's the one beside the window controls (on the passenger side of the console). It sounds like you're talking about the one under the radio?

What dock ?

jnak
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
This one by DLO

http://www.dlo.com/Products/homedoc_dx_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=12336908141154486

and I think Griffin makes one too.

GEE8GEETEE
02-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't see how you'd be able to use that in a car though.

jnak
02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
You could install it in your car, if you had a DC inverter.