PDA

View Full Version : Pedal travel and throttle response

rclinton
02-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Just finished installing the Fasterproms ported TB and intake. Was giving the G8 a shake down and noticed that there was quite a bit of pedal play before I got throttle response. (maybe about an inch) My understanding that we have an electronic TB connection so there isn't a cable to adjust. Is there an electronic adjustment to be made to take up some of the slop in the pedal?

GRRRR8
02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
The only way to adjust is with a Tech II at the dealer.

Blackrider
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Sounds like somethings messed with the actuator. If you install the stock throttle body does it do the same thing?

J Wikoff
02-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Turn the car on (just on, not running) in engineering mode. Isn't there a throttle % readout? See what it says.

Mike P
02-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Just finished installing the Fasterproms ported TB and intake. Was giving the G8 a shake down and noticed that there was quite a bit of pedal play before I got throttle response. (maybe about an inch) My understanding that we have an electronic TB connection so there isn't a cable to adjust. Is there an electronic adjustment to be made to take up some of the slop in the pedal?

Is the car noticeably faster / quicker with these 2 mods? I'm kinda wanting to do these as well.

rclinton
02-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Sounds like somethings messed with the actuator.
If you install the stock throttle body does it do the same thing?

I think the slop was always there, I just notice it more now after the mods. I was monitoring the DashHawk for both TB% and RPM. There is a change during the 1 inch slop but not an apreciable amount. Im going to do some more trouble shooting/data collection before I go to the dealer with yet another issue that they will look like a couple of pigs looking at a wristwatch.

Is the car noticeably faster / quicker with these 2 mods? I'm kinda wanting to do these as well....

Im not sure about faster (HP or TQ increase), but definitely quicker throttle response, kinda throw your head back quicker, which is why I really notice the pedal travel. I am planning on bringing the car back to the dyno to get some solid numbers and will post soon.

'02 ws6
02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Interested in the hp/tq gains as well! Keep us posted.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
It's possible that the slow throttle response was attributed to the excessive free travel of the gas pedal, so maybe this mod really wasn't necessary. It makes me wonder if you're even going WOT with that much play in the pedal. I think my throttle response is great, I just wish the trans shifting was more responsive.

I never heard the one about the pigs looking at the wristwatch, it must be a southern phrase, lol

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 07:36 PM
No necessary? Hmmmm...

'02 ws6
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I hope that's not true. If so, gotta look towards the FAST 102 release!

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I hope that's not true. If so, gotta look towards the FAST 102 release!

No its not true. The FAST 102 is going to be a bit much for a stock motor and who makes a 102 mm Drive By Wire throttle body.

rclinton
02-05-2009, 06:52 AM
It's possible that the slow throttle response was attributed to the excessive free travel of the gas pedal, so maybe this mod really wasn't necessary. It makes me wonder if you're even going WOT with that much play in the pedal. I think my throttle response is great, I just wish the trans shifting was more responsive.

I never heard the one about the pigs looking at the wristwatch, it must be a southern phrase, lol

Not sure its a southern thing.....I was born in California, raised in New York, schooled in Michigan. I am sure though the mental image of two pigs looking at a wrist watch certainly describes what the techs look like when I bring my car in with an issue!

I want to clarify that the throttle response is not slow, and I can definitely feel a quicker throttle response after the ported TB and intake. so from a performance viewpoint there is an improvement. There just seems to be some play in the pedal movement. Hell it might just be me but……..

Did a quick engineering display check the other night with the engine off. Throttle % seems normal form 7% at idle to 77% at WOT which I believe is correct for our G8's. I plan to compare these numbers with the DashHawk this weekend to see how they match up. Something I did notice was with the car off (battery on engine not running) I did not feel the play in the pedal.

Does anyone know how we get the artificial feel in our pedals?

Either way, I don’t think this is an issue with the porting from FasterProms or the TB, the upgrade is worth it!.

I will update this weekend when I can spend some more time.

GRRRR8
02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Since it is drive by wire it does have a different feel, but it may need to be recalibrated to make sure it is really going WOT.

'02 ws6
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
One thing to consider is, GM has had a history of preventing cars from achieving 100% throttle. They did so w/ a stop on the cable driven TB's on Fbodies. Ours only open up 95%, so people had to resort to the "bump stop" mod on our TBs to get it fully open. Haven't heard of any drive by wire issues but I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run were only getting 95-98% open. A little off topic, but a thought.