PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit

SpeedRacerX
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Warning...I didn't take pix. I know. Sorry.

After 75,000 mostly-highway miles, my headlights appeared like they had slight pitting and sandblasting. You could see it and certainly feel it. Not horrible but it was very present. They were not discolored - just rough.

Anyway, I thought I'd give the Maguiar's product a try. Well, after less than 30 minutes, I completed the job and I must say that it was well-worth the $30.00 I paid.

You start with a side-to-side wet sanding with 1000 grit then an up-and-down dry sanding with 3000 grit. Then polishing with their pad attachment for your cordless drill and their polising compound. Then a final protectant compound.

The product took out 80-85% of the pits and roughness that was present. They also appear clearer. I'm sure tomorrow morning when I leave for work in the dark, I will be getting flashed again as people will think my high beams are on.

Anyway, for $30 and the results you get, I would recommend it.

I am going to use it on my son's headlights next.

I'm sure if you are comfortable with wet sanding and polishing and you already own "pro" supplies, you could do better than buying this kit.

For a quick fix for many of us, this kit will work just fine.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/SpeedRacerXPB/2729_lg_zps23f9a7f8.jpg

Zodiac
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
:TTIWWP: Sorry had to.

TailG8er
12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
They can be sanded and clear coated also.

BriGuy
12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Nice review. A little tip if I may add...
I used the product but finished with Meguiars M205 polish. It's relatively cheap, but it is a true finishing polish so it doesn't leave any oils that could potentially cloud the finish. It will remove minor scratches and marring from the sandpaper. Brings out the last 5% or so. Oh, and I used a porter cable polisher with a white pad, but you could probably get away by hand if your willing to put your elbow into it.

vert
03-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Warning...I didn't take pix. I know. Sorry.

After 75,000 mostly-highway miles, my headlights appeared like they had slight pitting and sandblasting. You could see it and certainly feel it. Not horrible but it was very present. They were not discolored - just rough.

Anyway, I thought I'd give the Maguiar's product a try. Well, after less than 30 minutes, I completed the job and I must say that it was well-worth the $30.00 I paid.

You start with a side-to-side wet sanding with 1000 grit then an up-and-down dry sanding with 3000 grit. Then polishing with their pad attachment for your cordless drill and their polising compound. Then a final protectant compound.

The product took out 80-85% of the pits and roughness that was present. They also appear clearer. I'm sure tomorrow morning when I leave for work in the dark, I will be getting flashed again as people will think my high beams are on.

Anyway, for $30 and the results you get, I would recommend it.

I am going to use it on my son's headlights next.

I'm sure if you are comfortable with wet sanding and polishing and you already own "pro" supplies, you could do better than buying this kit.

For a quick fix for many of us, this kit will work just fine.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/SpeedRacerXPB/2729_lg_zps23f9a7f8.jpg

Bringing this up from the dead, are you still happy with the results? I am thinking about doing my fogs and then maybe the headlights.

SpeedRacerX
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Let me wash the car again and let you know. I was just looking at this a few days ago and thinking to myself it looks bad again but it might just be the fact that the car needs a good bath. I'll let you know this weekend.

mc91
03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if this kit comes with it or not but make sure to clear coat it and let it dry (without being touched). Otherwise there is a very good chance your hard work comes undone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Eidolon
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Slightly off topic, but a good protective film on the headlights works wonders. It protects them from rocks and the like, but also protects them oxidation/hazing by putting a barrier between the plastic and the open air. My car has 52,000 miles on it, both open highway and even three weekends on a road course, and the headlights still look perfectly clear. The guy who installed my clear bra put the protective film on the lights when he installed the clear bra.

texn884
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I have the xpell head light and fog light film on them. It is kinda thick but it has protected the lenses from the stones and have not busted any lens. With 104,300 miles on them they still look good and a easy Adams polish on them they look great just like the clear bra I have on the Rat also. Some of the stones tore the bra film but better than the weak paint :(