PDA

View Full Version : Gopro mic...

I12XLR8
12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I've been thinking of what I can do to prepare for the 2013 track season and one shortcoming I will have is good sound on my recordings.

I have read good things about the Audio Technica Pro24CM but was wondering if anyone had a better solution or some experience with it.

I have two Hero2's and would love to be able to hear the exhaust and the engine bay in my videos (not at the same time, of course!).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnynadeau
12-16-2012, 07:54 PM
I've had good luck with the open back mounted on the front of the facia.

The other area would be near the gas tank or the drivers side on the rear quarters. I don't think it matters which car but those seem to be the best areas. Face them towards the other lane, it looks cool when you blow by them or if its a close race...

Wind noise gets a bit overwhelming at ~85 + with the open back but the solid back takes away from sound quality in my opinion.

iPhone, Tapatalk, enough said!

I12XLR8
12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
I should have clarified...by track I meant road track, not the drag strip. I will be at speeds that the onboard mic cannot handle most of the time so an external mic is a must.

hartigan85
12-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Check out the Audio Technica ATR-3350, I have heard good things. It comes with a 20ft cable so you can still mount the GoPro wherever you want and get audio from the inside the car, engine, trunk, or wherever you want.

I12XLR8
12-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a buddy that sent me a video of his car using that mic. It seems to handle the WOT fine but the burbling of the engine and the popping of the exhaust when decelerating was distorted. He put the video on FB and I have been trying to get a link to it but have not had any luck.

TLSTWIN
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Have you tried mounting the video inside the vehicle?

I have a few gopro Hero2's as well and have a mic I am going to try this year, as well as inside the vehicle.

I know the wind noise was horrible at gingerman last year, even with the waterproof case and door.

I12XLR8
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I have tried it inside the car and it's great until you get up to speed...then the wind noise is still an issue (we had to have all of the windows down at the track, which didn't help).

I think I am going to order two ATR-3350's and put one between the tailpipes and the other under the hood. I would only get one Audio Technica Pro24CM and feed it to both GoPro's but no one seems to be able to tell me if I can split the audio signal from one mic into two GoPro's...

MFE
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Before I got a Hero HD and its MUCH better microphone, I had an older unit with f-ing terrible sound. The typical crackling and noise they were known for. I did some digging around and was inspired to take it apart, remove the piezo-microphone, and solder a pigtail of speaker wire in its place, with a flat multi-prong connector on the other end, which I got at an R/C hobby shop. Then I put the other half of the connectr onto about 10 feet of speaker wire, and soldered the mic to the other end. Now, I can mount the mic where I want, and the camera where I want. The best sound in *my* track car anyway is when I slip the mic up under the rear of the center console. Sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51mbKOJpls

I12XLR8
03-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I just purchased another GoPro (Hero) so will be using that one in the car as it has no mic port. The other two I'm going to face forwards with a mic under the hood and rear wards with a mic between the tailpipes.

I have been told to stuff the ATR3350's into some foam chair stuffing to get rid of any wind noise...as soon as I get a dry day up here I'm going to test it out.

MFE, the car sounds good!